Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Genetic modification in a ball mill?
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 13-4-2010 at 13:39
Genetic modification in a ball mill?

I got a question for all you that have some clue about Genetic modification. Normaly for someone that does not have a full blown genetic lab one would use a gene gun which shots gene coated Ti nanospheres into a cell with the possibility of merging the DNA into the other cell by breaking it open and letting the DNA randomly splice itself.

I'v had a thought for sometime that maybe some of you could confirm or deny but why wouldn't genetic material and plant material placed in a ball mill with these nano spheres and steel shot allow the same process to occure?

Surely due to there minute size the Ti nanospheres have next to 0 kinetic energy, even thought they are basicly shot from a pistol, due to there extremely low mass.

The force of two steel balls colliding in a ball mill should far exceed this I would think and that would mean that as they are milled the Ti particals would get A :coated in genetic material and B: at one point or another be stuck on a cell and be smashed between two steel balls as they come together giving the force needed to jam the partical in thru the cell wall.

Just looking for some other opinions on the matter is all. As something like this could allow a range of options after the tissue is cultured and tested for mutations.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 13-4-2010 at 15:40

You are forgetting shear forces.

Any plant (cellular) material will be turned into mush.

Sure you'll get the DNA inside that way, but the cells certainly won't be viable....

It's a lot easier to introduce genetic material into bacteria, btw.

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 13-4-2010 at 16:44

Quote: Originally posted by chemoleo  
You are forgetting shear forces.

Any plant (cellular) material will be turned into mush.

Sure you'll get the DNA inside that way, but the cells certainly won't be viable....

It's a lot easier to introduce genetic material into bacteria, btw.

No im not forgetting it just waiting for someone to bring it up. Yes most cells will be destroyed but a gene gun does alot of damage in itself does it not? The size of the steel shot could be relatively small I would think and still provide the needed force in the local area. It would no doubt be a hit or miss if any survived and encorperated the new DNA as well but a gene gun isn't exactly an exact science either it don't seem.

So... About the genetic material into a bacteria. You say easier, would you care to elaborate some more on this? Is it just a case of bacteria + new genetic material/ Mutanagen with a dash of prayer or is there more advanced proteines needed to perform the splicing?

If one was able to incorperate Plasmid DNA into the Agrobacterium Rhizogenes bacteria and allow it to do its work of grafting itself into the host plant one could perform GM operations with relative ease right?.

[Edited on 14-4-2010 by Sedit]

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan

Go To Top