Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Explosion proof suit
roXefeller
Hazard to Others

Mood: 220 221 whatever it takes

[*] posted on 21-8-2014 at 13:12

Quote: Originally posted by franklyn  
https://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/534...
H.R. 5344 is a bill currently going through Congress that would ban the civilian purchase of body armor. Violation would carry CRIMINAL penalties, including up to ten years in prison. Whatever your stance on firearms, we can agree that one cannot hurt someone with body armor. People buy body armor for protection. Your government claims that “ criminals and rampaging madmen ” can “ wreck havoc ” while wearing body armor, and it’s important to shield POLICE from these nefarious individuals.

That's dumb, why don't they just ban the guns used by the madmen, oh wait, gun control act of '34, '68, '86, '94, '05. Funny how all those bills don't seem to make a dent in the violent crimes. By the way, the short title and official title of the bill:

Quote:

Short Titles as Introduced:
Responsible Body Armor Possession Act

Official Title as Introduced:
To prohibit the purchase, ownership, or possession of enhanced body armor by civilians, with exceptions.

It doesn't seem like 'responsible possession', but just outright ban for any non-agent. The short title makes me guess they're trying to fool people into voting-ay-without-reading. What are they going to tell the mothers who are buying ballistic backpacks for their children? Surely those can't be sold, because madmen will stitch them into a vest.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 21-8-2014 at 22:34

Ain't chemistry. Ain't energetic materials. Ain't "explosion proof suit". Is USA politics. I hate the madness du jour too. But: Put it in legal & social IF chemistry related , or whimsy otherwise.

You've both been here long enough to know how we roll. Thanks!

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 2-9-2014 at 09:31

Quote: Originally posted by franklyn  
https://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/534...
H.R. 5344 is a bill currently going through Congress that would ban the civilian purchase of body armor. Violation would carry CRIMINAL penalties, including up to ten years in prison. Whatever your stance on firearms, we can agree that one cannot hurt someone with body armor. People buy body armor for protection. Your government claims that “ criminals and rampaging madmen ” can “ wreck havoc ” while wearing body armor, and it’s important to shield POLICE from these nefarious individuals.

I don't agree with this bill but it only applies to type III body armor.
Curiously it doesn't prohibit type I, II or IV body armor.
It is already illegal for violent felons to posess body armor in the US.
You would think that if they were concerned about body armor
they would include type IV. Type I and II will generally protect
against hand guns (low power and high power respectively).
Type III is for rifle rounds. Type IV is much heavier and not something you want to wear around. It is designed to resist AP rifle rounds.
Type IV is what you would want to resist explosion fragmentation.
Actual explosion resistant body armor is much less flexible than type IV.
Explosion resistant body armor is not really for working with explosives.
As a previous poster indicated distance is the best protection.
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 3-9-2014 at 09:20

juggernaut suit

but i think what you may have to take caution against in a lab is small fragments, unless if you are somehow deciding to put a decent charge into a thick metal tube and then lob it on a stove and stare at it

usually what happens in a lab is smaller gas explosions, this wont give that violent glass fragments, rather large pieces at relatively low speed
then theres the few things where powerful explosives blows a hole in a flask etc, this produces very fine glass shrapnel, thin metal sheet will cover against this, aswell as low velocity glass PIECES, rather than glass dust

soo...
get some SS sheet and a welders apron
perhaps aluminium will do if you get a nice hard alloy? then cut some plates and put them on the inside of the apron and call it a day
supposing you can keep it in place using steel wire or similar
you want plates to overlap each other like 'dragon skin' bulletproof armor, so you can still move about

i think that if you consider the gas pressure then it will most likely destroy you no matter what you try, but you gotta be on a decent scale before that becomes a factor to count in, as said.. try to distill a pipebomb and you will get hurt by some means

http://puu.sh/bjRaS.jpg

keep it simple

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top