Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Removing Sulfur Compounds from Dehydrogenation Reaction Mixture
Dope Amine
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-1-2019 at 09:53
Removing Sulfur Compounds from Dehydrogenation Reaction Mixture

I used sulfur in a dehydrogenation/aromatization reaction and I'm now trying to figure out the best way to remove the sulfur byproduct impurities.

The first thing I did was dissolve the reaction mixture in methanol and then gravity filter through DE. This removed the yellow sulfur color but the sulfide smell remained. Activated carbon was tried but it didn't seem to do anything useful. When the methanol was rotovaped the majority of the sulfides seemed to carry over with the methanol but the product still smelled bad as well. Hydrogen sulfide has a very potent smell, in case you weren't aware.

I came across a literature reference where after the dehydrogentation reaction they dissolve the mixture in benzene and then filter through a small column silicic acid. I had never heard of this chemical before and I have no idea how it might work but I went ahead and ordered it to give it a try.

Can anybody suggest an efficient way of removing the sulfur byproducts in my reaction mixture? Do you know how/why silicic acid would help with purification?

Thanks!
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-1-2019 at 14:43

What about extracting the H2S using acidified Cu2+(aq)? The Cu2+ will react with H2S to ppt out CuS and you can filter that out. What compound were you trying to make?

Dope Amine
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-1-2019 at 15:03

Thanks for your suggestion! I am converting THC for a CBN for a legal cannabis company. Maybe I can flood a methanol solution with the aqueous copper reagent and see if that properly removes the hydrogen sulfide smell.

If anybody has any knowledge regarding the efficacy of silicic acid or how it works it would be appreciated.

Go To Top