Author: Subject: Critical Diameter of AN based explosives
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 21-6-2010 at 07:09

Quote: Originally posted by The WiZard is In  
Assuming he is A - still alive and B - out of Gaol maybe he
could be invited to SciMad ....!

Assuming, that is, he isn't already here. . .

prometheus1970
Hazard to Others

Mood: happy/ inquisitively eager

[*] posted on 10-1-2011 at 08:29
Ammonium nitrate explosion Tx. City ca. 1940

This is a question I've had on mymind for some time now. It's my understanding that NH4NO3 does not deflagrate/ detonate from heat alone. However I'm sure many of you have heard of the ship full of ammonum nitrate fertilizer that caught fire and then exploded near Texas City in the 1940's destroying that city and sending the ship's several ton propeller several miles inland. how is this possible with a material that does not really deflagrate?

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.
prometheus1970
Hazard to Others

Mood: happy/ inquisitively eager

[*] posted on 10-1-2011 at 08:40

Speaking of detonation and necesary initiation impulse, is there any way of calculating what level of Vod a given primary would be required produce to detonate a given secondary/booster compound? I guessed it might be something like 40% of the Vod of the compound to be detonated. I realize this may be as wrong as saying the most powerful explosive is one that's placed in a blue container or some such nonsense, which is why I'm asking.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 10-1-2011 at 09:17

Quote:
It's my understanding that NH4NO3 does not deflagrate/ detonate from heat alone.

It will detonate from heat alone!
And crystals of HN4NO3 when dropped into an actively burning coal fire will deflagrate quietly but this is mainly due to contact with the already-hot carbon . . .
The detonation of NH4NO3 aboard the Grandcamp was caused by a fire which was allowed to burn for some time.
Once within the great mass of HN4NO3, the build-up of heat increased dramatically because of the insulating effect of the mass itself.
It does require a very high temperature and a very large mass for its detonation and produces N2 and H2O decomposition products as carbon isn't involved!

grndpndr
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-1-2011 at 22:30

Also my understanding of the grand Camp explosion the watertight cargo hatches were sealed and with the intent to extinguis the fires via lack of oxygen!,instead pressurized steam was also injected into this enclosed system undoubtedly raising heat/.pressure despite any cooling effect from water in the steam.The AN deflagration under the influence of increasing pressure went from deflagration to DDT due to pressure/heat most likely.

Ive also heard that perhaps some small arms ammunition was also instrumental in initiating the grand camp but theres no proof of that and I dont know where the alleged ammunition was stored.Id be more inclined to attribute the explosion to extreme heat/pressure in the pressurized cargo holds.I wouldnt toss a capped pipe full of AN into a fire,that seems essentially what happened here.

Also the drill pipe det,caused by a plugged confined AN strongly heated and likely under high pressure.:(

[Edited on 11-1-2011 by grndpndr]
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-2-2014 at 01:02

Related thread
www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=24103

Tests on critical diameter and detonation velocity of mixtures of ammonium nitrate and selected organic substances
www.chemikinternational.com/year-2013/year-2013-issue-1/tests-on-critical-diameter-and-detonation-velocity-of-mixtures-of-ammonium-nitrate-v-and-se lected-organic-substances-maranda-a-szymanski-r
Article attached here _
Attachment: Tests on critical diameter & detonation velocity of mixtures of ammonium nitrate & selected organic substances.zip (963kB)
This file has been downloaded 555 times

Attachment: Detonability of Ammonium Nitrate and Mixtures on Its Base .pdf (263kB)
This file has been downloaded 908 times

Techniques to Disrupt, Deviate and Seize Control of an Internet Forum In case you wonder W T F ! is going on here ?
www.zerohedge.com/contributed/2012-10-28/cointelpro-techniques-dilution-misdirection-and-control-internet-forum https://web.archive.org/web/20120814124000/www.washingtonsblog.com/2012/08/the-15-rules-of-internet-disinformation.html
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 15-9-2014 at 07:27

Do what composition is here: http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=33246&...
It has a diameter of 15mm and works from No8. It is pellet, but the composition may be used without compression to pellet. Only manually press to the plastic tube. Density about 0,8 - 1,2g/cc. (AN-pellets)
LL

nitro-genes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-9-2014 at 16:42

What is the matter? Are you out of your very common precursors yourself?

[Edited on 16-9-2014 by nitro-genes]
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-9-2016 at 16:06

All,

Please sees the link below. Apparently dry ammonal can have a CD as low as 7mm! What seems interesting to me is that the particle size of the AN seems to matter just as much, if not more than the size of Al (for the range of sizes they tested).

For my flash powder initiation test I have been using 5% Al, which according to this paper is the most sensitive mix ( or somewhere between 3-8%). I have been putting solid prills (not blasting grade) in a blender... but this may not be getting the size small enough.

Does anyone know of an anti caking agent for AN? I have been thinking of ball milling my AN, but with how hydroscopic it is, I am not sure if it would matter?

Thoughts, reactions, insights, words of wisdom, words of foolishness?

http://www.wydawnictwa.ipo.waw.pl/cejem/vol-6-1-2009/Zygmunt...

And I just realized that this link was posted earlier.... bummer, I will have to wait another day to be a hero...:(

[Edited on 28-9-2016 by MineMan]
OneEyedPyro
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-9-2016 at 18:43

I imagine if you dried your AN thoroughly in an oven then milled and bagged it in a dehumidified environment it wouldn't clump.

I have my doubts that smaller particle size is necessarily going to equate to higher sensitivity to initiation by flash powder but it's worth a try.

But like I said before, I'd put more effort into making a stronger initiating mix rather than a more sensitive main charge :P
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-10-2016 at 11:49
Wrappolite

Still more I am return on original question, if possible detonate An-mix in wood hole 18 mm. And what mix will be good or best for this purpose? Well. I recommend watching the channel Alfred Liptakov on Vimeo. Is there all system for nonhygroscopic construction AN. On aluminium the foil base. Partially plastic explosive. Developed in Lab.L in 2015. It is ideal for this purpose. Name is Wrappolite and is possible used also a different composition, especially if you must use hygroscopic compound. It is universal system for partially plastic energetic material. Aluminium has 3 basic function.1) It is fuel. You not need expensive (or unavailable) aluminium powder. 2) Foil is absolute isolation against the water.
3)The capacitor construction allows create the pretty solid carrier and create the shape according your the purposes. https://vimeo.com/home/myvideos/page:2/sort:date/format:vide...
Dr.

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-10-2016 at 14:03

your link does not seem to work there Liptakov
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-10-2016 at 02:00

Well, sorry,
You can only write to Google Alfred Liptakov.
Dr.

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top