Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Disastrously stupid question.
wallflower
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-1-2004 at 10:22
Disastrously stupid question.

I am fully aware that I have just enough knowledge of chemistry to mess things up completely. This whole question already deals with sci-fi.

Let's start with my beginning concepts:

1) I am writing a story about vampires.

2) I have heard that human blood carries a negative charge. I speculate that a vampire would have a negative charge, or else it would have some sort of reaction from ingesting blood.

3) In my story, a vampire is capable of drawing energy from germs and plants.

Would a vampire, a creature that got its energy by drawing life, have a positive or a negative charge? Would it have a different charge than most of us? Where would its weakness to light radiation come from? If I were to look for a chemical basis to its makeup, where would I *start?*

I'm thinking of just saying it's all supernatural. :o The idea of chemically dissolving a vampire is stuck in my head, though.
guaguanco
Hazard to Others

Mood: heterocyclic

[*] posted on 22-1-2004 at 10:45

My opinion:
Don't bother trying to wrap a pseudo-scientific explanation around vampires and their electrochemical needs. It's just going to look like mumbo-jumbo. Keep it all in the supernatural realm where it belongs.:)
wallflower
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-1-2004 at 11:04

Gotcha. Will do. :P
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 22-1-2004 at 14:26

Human blood is neutral. Cells however have a potential difference between their membranes because of Na+, K+ and H+ pumps.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.

Go To Top