Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Salt + Citric acid = HCl?
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 13:13
Salt + Citric acid = HCl?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=83978

I was reading the page above that says HCl is made with reaction of citric acid and table salt. Is this true? It looks false because citric acid alone would react with zinc.
psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 13:18

Acid + Salt = Acid-+Sa + Hlt, but I am still dubious.

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
Anders Hoveland
Banned

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 13:41

It all depends on your perspective. Cl- and H+ will be dissolved in the same solution.
Does this mean HCl is made? Not quite, as the solution is still no more acidic than citric acid and you will (almost certainly) not be at boil out HCl. You cannot boil out HCl from NaCl and water, for instance.

However, possibly fusing molten NaCl and citric acid together, but I think the citric acid will likely decompose before you get any HCl.

You can, however, boil out HCl from NaCl and H3PO4 solution, and H3PO4 is not a strong acid, so I would not "entirely" discount what you heard. I think phosphoric acid is much stronger than citric though, so can more easily shift the equilibrium.
densest
Hazard to Others

Mood: slowly warming to strain point

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 21:05

pK1 of citric acid is about 3.1, so less than 1/1000 of the Cl- could be distilled out as HCl. Not a good route, but in desperation it would produce a very little HCl.

Go To Top