Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mom Arrested After Son Makes Dry Ice "Bombs"
undead_alchemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: Tired, Cleaning up corporate messes at work!

shocked.gif posted on 3-7-2010 at 06:54
Mom Arrested After Son Makes Dry Ice "Bombs"

"Police were called to a house in Omaha where a 14-year-old made some 'dry ice bombs' (dry ice in soda bottles).
Since his mom knew about it, she is now facing felony charges for child endangment and possession of a destructive device.
From the article: 'Assistant Douglas County Attorney Eric Wells said the boy admitted to making the bomb and that his mother knew he was doing so.
The boy was set to appear Tuesday afternoon in juvenile court, accused of possessing a destructive device.'"

Link to original story:
http://www.omaha.com/article/20100629/NEWS97/100629602
Discussion on Slashdot.org
http://idle.slashdot.org/story/10/07/01/1256208/Mom-Arrested...
psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 3-7-2010 at 13:06

NYTimes, 2023: Mar. 13.

MOM ARRESTED AFTER ULTRASOUND SHOWS MALE FOETUS.

Last night, Ms. Fellabang was arrested after it was found that she was carrying a boy child. Under recent law, she must be arrested and have her child institutionalised lest he grow up to mix mentos and diet pepsi in his backyard.

/sigh.

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-7-2010 at 04:41

That's the way the world is going making a big deal over nothing.

A few decades ago It would have been seen as harmless fun.

I don't think that law enforcement and school officials etc. in America actually realize that all this zero tolerance policy BS will ruin someones live. Expulsion or juvenile records usually means a life of working at Wal-Mart.

I read about a case a few months ago that sickened me.

Quote:

David Silverstein, 13, was inspired to build a model rocket after seeing the movie "October Sky", a biography of NASA rocket scientist Homer Hickam. The boy took his rocket, made out of a potato chip canister and fueled with three match heads, to his Glendale, Ariz., school, where it was found in a search of his locker. School officials classified the toy as a "weapon" and suspended him for the rest of the year based on its "zero-tolerance" weapons policy.

http://www.ursenbach.net/govwatcher/articles/zerotolerance.a...

The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-7-2010 at 06:19

Quote: Originally posted by undead_alchemist  
"Police were called to a house in Omaha where a 14-year-old made some 'dry ice bombs' (dry ice in soda bottles).

[snip]

BRAVE NEW SCHOOLS
Student disciplined for pen with gun company logo Caught after
borrowing offending writing instrument from father Posted:
February 01, 2008
1:00 am Eastern
2010 WorldNetDaily.com

A student has been threatened with a 3-day suspension from
school for bringing to campus, and using, a pen with the
corporate logo of the Glock company, a large stylized "G" with the
letters "lock" inside.

Cooler heads eventually prevailed, and the father reports that he
was successful in convincing the school officials to not only
withdraw the threat, but also the formal reprimand that already
had been placed in his son's educational file.

Google it.

-----
M80's vs Dry ice bomb's

http://www.pnl.gov/main/publications/external/technical_repo...

Pp. 33
mnick12
Hazard to Others

Mood: devious

[*] posted on 15-7-2010 at 10:58

This reminds me of that story where a 1st grader (I think dont remember) was suspended for a few days because he brought a "weapon" to school. As it turns out, the boy was a boyscout and brought his favorite multi-tool which consited of a fork,spoon, and a not so sharp knife. The parents said he ate all his meals with that tool even if he wasnt at boy scouts. Schools just keep getting more and more paranoid...

OH WAIT! what am I thinking! a little kid w/ a pocket KNIFE, this is a whole knew breed of killers! Homicidal 1st graders!!! Whats next suicide bomber babies!
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-7-2010 at 18:26

How have sales of Swiss Army knives, made by Victorinox in Switzerland, been lately?
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 16-7-2010 at 04:27

I'm not sure if others have my reaction to this; but this shit really makes me sad. It may have to do with age (I'm way deep into my 50's). I don't have that common reaction of anger; I just really feel that this shit is all too pervasive & it's really hurting young people in a manner that will be more noticeable as they grow.
I understand that it's a childish fear reaction to Columbine but that doesn't make it acceptable. I had previously thought that teachers / educators had some level of maturity; I suppose I was wrong.
Phosphor-ing
Hazard to Others

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 16-7-2010 at 05:29

Teachers do have a level of maturity, you speak of. Its the zero tolerance policy that has taken all common sense out of the equation. Teacher are not allowed to make "judgment calls". If it looks like a weapon, might be considered a weapon, it must be treated like a weapon. It make zero sense to me. Knee jerk reaction to a few messed up kids ends up hurting the lives of countless kids like the boyscout mentioned above. Or a case I heard about a student who got expelled, EXPELLED!, for making a gun gesture! He didn't even have a weapon! Here is the link to the story.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2464765/posts

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" -Ronald Reagan
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-7-2010 at 05:30

I agree. All this zero tolerance stuff I hear about makes me really angry.

People needlessly trashing peoples dreams over trivial things. Once your expelled from school your pretty f****d

I've heard cases of people being expelled over this zero tolerance bullshit on 'drugs' from bringing aspirin to school.

Here is another terrible case

Quote:
MCMINNVILLE, Ore., July 22 (UPI) -- Two 13-year-old Oregon boys are facing serious sex charges for allegedly slapping female classmates' bottoms as a form of horseplay.

Police arrested Cory Mashburn and Ryan Cornelison of McMinnville and if convicted could be permanently marked as sex offenders, The Portland Oregonian said Sunday. The teens also could spend as long as 10 years in juvenile detention if found guilty.

While the boys' parents have opposed such a harsh penalty, McMinnville District Aattorney Bradley Berry said such youthful acts could have longstanding consequences for the alleged victims.

"These cases are devastating to children," he said. "They are life-altering cases."

Interviews with the boys' fellow students found other teens were engaging in similar behavior at the time and two of the female victims have since recanted their statements.

The Oregonian said the boys are due in court on Aug. 20 to answer to all charges stemming from the February event.

quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 16-7-2010 at 08:47

MOST any absolutes in so far as education is totally out of place. "Zero Tolerance" concepts have NO place in any intelligently designed educational system as it represents the very harsh unproductive absolutes that bear no middle ground in productive intervention of a behavior.
NO legislation can impact behavior. Many "advanced & leading countries" have attempted to control behavior with legislation & the results were nil. Over and over they have attempted to control substance abuse, violence, bigotry by looking toward the OBJECT, the verbiage, or the gesture & then attempting to interpret the individualistic elements with broad-brush approaches that would be laughable if they were not so damning.
Administrators were once teachers (or they damn well should have been) & KNOWING what is faced in any classroom of INDIVIDUALS, should be conspicuously aware of how to empower instead of impede.

edit:

I really don't mean to slam teachers; I once was one. But I certainly know what the PC Gestapo did to make me shy away from that vocation.

[Edited on 16-7-2010 by quicksilver]
The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-7-2010 at 12:11

Quote: Originally posted by quicksilver  
MOST any absolutes in so far as education is totally out of place. "Zero Tolerance" concepts have NO place in any intelligently designed educational system

Emphasis added. /djh/

A relative of mine was principle of school for children with special
needs
. If a student brought a case of dynamite to school with
intent to blow up the school ..... if the student was acting within
their disabilities (not a PC word) under law they could not be
punished - expelled - suspended.

/djh/
-----
It is difficult to make our material conditions better by
the best law, but it is easy enough to ruin it by bad laws.
T Roosevelt, 1902.

-----------
Swiss Army Knife !!!

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/74670?promo=search
Chainhit222
Hazard to Others

Mood: grignard failing to start

[*] posted on 22-9-2010 at 05:28

Eh iirc some kid in my school got busted with heroin and I don't think they expelled him.

I think these people are just really unlucky. My friend brought firecrackers and estas to grade school in NYC and the teacher just told him to not bring it to class again, and refereed him to the principle (this was in 3rd grade, maybe the year 2000 or 2001). He talked to the principle but he was a bright kid with a interest in science and nothing really happened over it. He was more on the "art" side then the science side, he had elaborate glassware setups in his attic filled with different food coloring dyes. I am not sure if this was pre or post 9/11.

The most recent shit I have heard about NYC public schools was some guy having a model rocket in his locker, which someone saw and thought was a pipe bomb, so bomb disposal was called and shit, I don't think he got expelled though.
(this was a highschool)

Once in kindergarten or first grade I brought a blank 22 to class (which fell out of my pocket and some student found it and reported it to the teacher). The teacher was asking people if they knew what it was and I just played dumb, nothing happened from it. In 2nd grade my friend brought some kind of toy gun to show-and-tell, he just got told not to do it again.

I also used to draw the weapons from Doom and Duke Nukem 3D all over my folder I was told to personalize during the younger grade school classes, but no one really gave me trouble for it. Maybe they told my parents during the parent teacher conference nights, but they did not give a shit. All my parents want is good grades :p

[Edited on 22-9-2010 by Chainhit222]

The practice of storing bottles of milk or beer in laboratory refrigerators is to be strongly condemned encouraged
-Vogels Textbook of Practical Organic Chemistry
psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 22-9-2010 at 12:44

But Chainhit, if you get good grades you're too smart for the government's liking.

Therefore, you must be a terrorist.

Reminds me of Pol Pot:
People with glasses must be smart.
Smart people will figure out our lies.
Kill all the people with glasses.

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla

Go To Top