Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  21    23
Author: Subject: The trouble with neodymium...
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 2-12-2016 at 20:28

Also, quick question about reducing NdF3: Wasn't calcium metal suggested at one point as a suitable alternative?

HoF (CaF2) = -1228 kJ/mol (Wolfram Alpha)

2 NdF3 + 3 Ca -> 2 Nd + 3 CaF2: -370 kJ/mol, more than the equivalent with lithium. Is there some reason this is not preferred that I missed? I read over the entire thread, but couldn't seem to find it. Is it due to calcium fluoride's high melting point?

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Ge
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 6-12-2016 at 12:40

Update: Just got my sample of pure neodymium oxide from Snaucke Elements on EBay. It arrived as a white/gray powder, with distinct pink tinges under incandescent light.

Most of the sample was then mixed with diluted acetic acid and boiled, in the hopes that this would dissolve the oxide. To my surprise, this worked!

Once the bubblegum-pink neodymium acetate had crashed out, I then decided to test if it dissolved in ethanol. The results gave some important clues:

-The filtrate upon first coming out was the same dark pink as the concentrated aqueous solution. This is presumably due to residual water in the filtered acetate.

-As time went on, however, the filtered liquid became more dilute in coloration, and the drops coming out of the bottom of the filter paper were clear in coloration. The solid acetate on top retained mostly the same volume, though it had largely disintegrated into a paste. This indicates that the solid neodymium acetate is not soluble in ethanol, making separation of iron by selective dissolution in ethanol a viable procedure, provided the iron/neodymium acetates are boiled to dryness.

EDIT: Well, what do you know! The ethanol and water ended up separating just a few minutes after I made this post, and something cloudy has formed at the interface.

[Edited on 12-6-2016 by elementcollector1]

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Ge
Velzee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Exploring.

[*] posted on 6-12-2016 at 12:49

Yay!

Check out the ScienceMadness Wiki: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Main_Page

I collect elements! I'd gladly accept any element gifts(please U2U me)!

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
—Arthur Schopenhauer

"¡Vivá Cristo Rey!"
—Saint José Sánchez del Río
 Pages:  1  ..  21    23

Go To Top