Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: What all lab equipment would I need for my own at home laboratory?
Eclipsonix
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 13:32
What all lab equipment would I need for my own at home laboratory?

Hi everyone,
I was wondering what all equipment / glass would I need to do stuff like i listed below. Any help would be very appreciated

1) add to solution by dropwise
2) stir for hours
3) both stir with dropwise over the course of a time
4) recrystallization with ether
5) removing oil layers
6) wash oil layers with a sodium carbonate solution
7) wash with 40mL of CH2Cl2
8) 100mL of aqueous HCl ( what is aqueous HCl? )
9) make aqueous layer alkaline with a solution of NaOH ( i duno wut this means )
10) extract amine into 2x50mL of CH2Cl2 ( i duno wut this means )
11) evaporate CH2Cl2 under vacuum ( wondering what all is needed for this, i dont wanna miss anything )
12) dissolve resultant oil in anhydrous ether ( i just don't know what anhydrous ether is )
13) bubble HCl gas through the ether to produce hcl
14) recrystallize

... so pretty much i need help from someone with experience on buying everything for my own lab setup
like names of equipment, advice, anything really. the more questions anyone can help me with the better, u dont have to answer everything. thank you so much!!!

[Edited on 22-07-2010 by Eclipsonix]

DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 13:53

I think someone so clueless as yourself should give up or actually take an interest in chemistry. You're blatently trying to cook drugs, and I for one am not going to help you.
Eclipsonix
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 13:56

um I'm not trying to make any drugs actually. I'm 20 years old and signing up for fall classes at a community college. I dropped out of school at 7th grade for homeschool and over the past couple months found a strong interest in bio/organic chemistry and pharmacology. I mean i'm sorry but Fuck you wtf

I just don't want to get anything that doesn't go together or whatever since it seems glass and equipment have different specs. I'd be saving up for every item, i'm not rich enough to get the wrong stuff let alone be a drug dealer -_-

Picric-A
National Hazard

Mood: Fuming

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 13:58

From those steps you want to complete it looks pretty obvious your trying to make meth or some other drug. Read a book.
Eclipsonix
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 13:59

i'm sorry but im NOT trying to make any illegal drugs ever in my life
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 13:59

You need to take a class or two, after a year or so, things will start to make sense.

In the meantime, you could study some chemical lab workbooks, look things up on wiki, and stay strictly away from things like ether.

Death,disfigurement, and imprisonment, are constantly searching for, and finding............ neophyte chemists.

DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 14:03

I call bullshit. Theres no way you want those specific steps for anything BUT making drugs. Here's what gives it away:

Quote:

10) extract amine into 2x50mL of CH2Cl2 ( i duno wut this means )
11) evaporate CH2Cl2 under vacuum ( wondering what all is needed for this, i dont wanna miss anything )
12) dissolve resultant oil in anhydrous ether ( i just don't know what anhydrous ether is )
13) bubble HCl gas through the ether to produce hcl
14) recrystallize

Eclipsonix
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 14:04

Quote: Originally posted by zed  
You need to take a class or two, after a year or so, things will start to make sense.

In the meantime, you could study some chemical lab workbooks, look things up on wiki, and stay strictly away from things like ether.

Death,disfigurement, and imprisonment, are constantly searching for, and finding............ neophyte chemists.

Thanks, man. So would you know any chemical lab workbooks online? What you've said is exactly what I've been doing. I've tried extracting caffeine from nodoze tablets with some methods on youtube and have done some other miscellaneous experiments , but I want to up the level and get some real equipment. The list above is literally copy and paste from named techniques I see a lot in chemistry in order to make stuff. I'm not ganna kill myself nor make illegal drugs lol

DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 14:09

Quote:

The list above is literally copy and paste from named techniques I see a lot in chemistry in order to make stuff.

What is "stuff"... I suggest you read something from a real textbook, and not illegal drug synthesis from the internet.
Eclipsonix
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 14:13

All I was asking for is help. im not trying to make drugs/illegal drugs. I've been trying to teach myself / learn chemistry like other hobbies. but this one would actually be important. Im like half skitso and i feel like in the future Me or one of my family members will end up with Alzheimer's or Dimensia so I want to truly find better ways of treatment and do my own research for mental illnesses. please just trust me
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 14:15

So tell us all what this "amine" is that you intend to work with...
zed
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 14:19

Visit "Vogel" among others. It's kind of like a chemist's bible. I think the full title is something similar to "Vogels textbook of practical organic chemistry". I think Science Madness offers it on line.

Other than that, read these guys posts...Some are enriched with nifty photographs.

Try the Pre-publication section. Might see interesting things there.

Eclipsonix
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 14:24

Quote: Originally posted by DJF90  
So tell us all what this "amine" is that you intend to work with...

if you told me what an amine is perhaps i would say something like im not working with any -_- im not making drugs
zed
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 14:25

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=12475

Sorry, I am unable to create a link to Vogel.

Just go to the Science Madness Homepage, and click on the library link. Vogel is there, under the title "Practical Organic Chemistry".

Welcome to Science Madness.

[Edited on 22-7-2010 by zed]
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 14:44

Well tell us what syntheses you've read to come up with these steps that you feel are common. Like you said, you copy and pasted, so why not just post the whole preparation.

[Edited on 22-7-2010 by DJF90]
zed
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 14:58

Oh, by the way. You are not on trial here, and you are not obligated to answer hostile questions. Consider the source. You know what they say! No-one is more self-righteous, than a reformed whore.

If you have actually done something verbotten, a moderator will tell you.

Welcome to Science Madness.

DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 15:33

Nice one Zed, I haven't heard anything as funny as that in ages. You can't seriously be accusing me of dabbling in that kind of crap?!
panziandi
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 16:33

LMFBAO!

I'm not sure what was funnier:

1) the original question
2) the fact picric-A sided with DJF90
or
3) the hilarious post by Zed

unfortunately... regretfully this looks like another clueless meth cook clogging up the forum with a pointless empty thread. Some college jock trying to make a quick buck.

This is exactly the reason why I rarely utilize this forum anymore and have migrated to a drug + n00b free zone.

The trouble is that he starts the thread off with steps lifted directly from what looks like an amphetamine prep. If he said:

"What size glassware would you recommend for semi-micro scale organic preparations." or "What glassware should I get for a basic all-round organic chemistry kit"

I don't know what you are doing, and I really don't care. But I suggest you go to a toy store and get yourself a basic chemistry set, albeit they are quite shite these days, and get an idea of how to operate safely. Read lots of text books on fundamentals of organic chemsitry, Vogel and Saunders and Mills and Boon have good books. Then after being introduced to it in college then and only then start organic practicals at home! Organic chemistry is far more hazardous than inorganic chemistry at home... since it almost always relies on highly volatile organic solvents! Diethyl ether is incredibly dangerous, and you should certainly not be CONSIDERING using it at this stage!

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 18:19

Quote: Originally posted by DJF90  
I think someone so clueless as yourself should give up or actually take an interest in chemistry. You're blatently trying to cook drugs, and I for one am not going to help you.
Oh, I dunno. Sometimes given a little help they will come to the attention of, well you know, and be put out of business. That first ether fire usually brings the fire marshall, and others are sure to follow.
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 19:01

Quote: Originally posted by Eclipsonix  
Im like half skitso and i feel like in the future Me or one of my family members will end up with Alzheimer's or Dimensia so I want to truly find better ways of treatment and do my own research for mental illnesses. please just trust me

Well even though im more then likely one of the least bias of people to reply here to your post I still think your trying to cook meth or more precisely MDMA thru pseudonitrosite route given the process you speak of.

However if you are sincere about the dementia and alzheimers I am more willing to help because its a sad trait of my family as well and given that im quickly showing simular symptoms they showed early in life I fear the worst for myself as I normally do. I would suggest beginning nootropics such as piracitam right away since this has been shown over decades of research to improve cognition in dementia patiants.

Also if your quest is to find a better cure I suggest you start looking into prion diseases such as mad cow since alzheimers and many other dementias are caused by a messup in one of the base pairs in the DNA coding of these protiens causing them to catalyticaly unfold and form plaques in the brain. There is now a "cure" out there for mad cow disease that flushes these prions from the brain restoring functions if caught early enough.

I know from your opening post everything im saying is more then likely wayyyy over your head but PM me with an intelligent conversation if needed and I will try to guide you in the right direction. By intelligent I mean please do a little research of your own first and I will attempt to fill in any blanks that I can.

GL
~Sedit

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
zed
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 20:08

Everybody has to start somewhere. Saint Christopher wasn't always a saint.

Rumor has it, he was interested in the dark side of the force. Times were tough, and he wanted to sell his soul to El Diablo. Quess his soul wasn't worth much; he couldn't make a deal.

Being a big mean looking giant, he took a job as a ferry man. For some spare change, he would carry folks piggy-back across the shallow local river. One thing led to another, and now he is lauded as being the patron saint of travelers.

Young man professes to be interested in chemistry. Where that interest will take him, no-one can say. A few years from now, he may be wearing surgical scrubs, while he delivers our grandchildren.
Eclipsonix
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 20:21

Quote: Originally posted by Sedit  
Quote: Originally posted by Eclipsonix  
Im like half skitso and i feel like in the future Me or one of my family members will end up with Alzheimer's or Dimensia so I want to truly find better ways of treatment and do my own research for mental illnesses. please just trust me

Well even though im more then likely one of the least bias of people to reply here to your post I still think your trying to cook meth or more precisely MDMA thru pseudonitrosite route given the process you speak of.

However if you are sincere about the dementia and alzheimers I am more willing to help because its a sad trait of my family as well and given that im quickly showing simular symptoms they showed early in life I fear the worst for myself as I normally do. I would suggest beginning nootropics such as piracitam right away since this has been shown over decades of research to improve cognition in dementia patiants.

Also if your quest is to find a better cure I suggest you start looking into prion diseases such as mad cow since alzheimers and many other dementias are caused by a messup in one of the base pairs in the DNA coding of these protiens causing them to catalyticaly unfold and form plaques in the brain. There is now a "cure" out there for mad cow disease that flushes these prions from the brain restoring functions if caught early enough.

I know from your opening post everything im saying is more then likely wayyyy over your head but PM me with an intelligent conversation if needed and I will try to guide you in the right direction. By intelligent I mean please do a little research of your own first and I will attempt to fill in any blanks that I can.

GL
~Sedit

Thanks, man. I'm totally into researching the nootropics already. And what you said about all else is a bit over my head until i learn more. I had no clue the causes were already found. .. way to get me started lol
Eclipsonix
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 20:24

And thanks a lot Zed, ur the man. Thanks for the welcome!
rrkss
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 20:45

I'd reccommend that you take a chemistry class at your local college and learn some lab technique. It will teach you much of the concepts needed to perform your list.

Just at a glance, I see the need of upwards of a thousand dollars in equipment to do what you want to do.

The CH2Cl2 can give you severe dermatitis which takes forever to go away, and the ether can cause an explosion or a fire without warning.

Stay away from ether till you've studied lab safetly in a real lab as that solvent can cost you your life.
Eclipsonix
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 21:32

Quote: Originally posted by rrkss  
I'd reccommend that you take a chemistry class at your local college and learn some lab technique. It will teach you much of the concepts needed to perform your list.

Just at a glance, I see the need of upwards of a thousand dollars in equipment to do what you want to do.

The CH2Cl2 can give you severe dermatitis which takes forever to go away, and the ether can cause an explosion or a fire without warning.

Stay away from ether till you've studied lab safetly in a real lab as that solvent can cost you your life.

I'll take the advice. I definitely won't be using ether. I decided to wait till I have more experience to do anything at home. I didn't realize how over my head I was lol

From what I understand, I need a separatory funnel with stopcock, a hotplate/magnetic stirrer (2in1), some Erlenmeyer flasks, regular flasks, beakers, stands, clamps, and im not sure what else

Pages:  1  

Go To Top