Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Extraction of Potassium Iodate from tablesalt
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-7-2010 at 17:16
Extraction of Potassium Iodate from tablesalt

Is there any way to possibly extract the small amount of Potassium Iodate in my table salt.

It contains silica as well.

Thanks.
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 24-7-2010 at 17:23

Quote: Originally posted by mewrox99  
Is there any way to possibly extract the small amount of Potassium Iodate in my table salt.

It contains silica as well.

Thanks.
Easier to make gold from straw. If you want silica, go to the beach.

You do know that there is the "Short Questions" thread for crap like this, no? The promiscuous starting of new threads is the reason that TFSE can't find shit on this forum. Cease and desist.:D
bbartlog
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-7-2010 at 17:58

There are supposedly 400 micrograms of iodine in a teaspoon of salt. There are 768 teaspoons in a gallon. So in a gallon of salt there are about 300 milligrams of iodine. Not as impossible as gold from straw, but pretty damn impractical.
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 24-7-2010 at 18:26

A gallon of salt? I think you meant to say that there about 6 grams of salt in a teaspoon, So that's about 67 mg of iodine per kilogram of salt.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 25-7-2010 at 00:50

And just to be complete, you both missed that table salt contains iodide, not iodate.

I think I once calculated a few 50 lb. sacks of iodized salt, gassed with moist chlorine and heated, would be enough to isolate a gram or two of elemental iodine.

You can buy meth off the street corner cheaper than you can make iodine from table salt.

Tim

P.S. As for TFSE, it can't find its own ass with both hands (literally, in this case). Sifting through 50 pages of a "simple questions" thread is just as likely to succeed as 50 pages of individual threads.

[Edited on 7-25-2010 by 12AX7]

TFSE.png - 10kB

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

Mood: alive

[*] posted on 26-7-2010 at 13:32

You're going to have a very hard time extracting iodide from table salt. It is supplemented with MINUTE amounts of Iodide to help thyroid health in iodine deficient areas. You don't want to cause someone to overload on Iodine and die.

You should go to a store, maybe some kind of survival store. They sell these KI tables to replace radioactive Iodine in the case of a nuclear disaster. It might not be a whole lot, but it's better than 67 milligrams. You could just purchase a 100 g bottle of KI. It isn't too suspicious and shouldn't be overly expensive.

Go To Top