Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Stirrer/hotplate too hot
crazyboy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Marginally insane

[*] posted on 25-7-2010 at 09:47
Stirrer/hotplate too hot

I have a corning magnetic stirrer/hotplate. The problem is even when I turn the heat to the absolute lowest setting it gets too hot to touch. By heat setting 2 it boils water. What can I do to fix this problem?

zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 25-7-2010 at 10:11

Open it up, take a look. Whats with yer rheostat?
peach
Bon Vivant

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-7-2010 at 15:11

Mine gets very warm even with the resistor for the PWM supply literally against the off position.

It can occur because a number of PWM schematics have a minimum value of 10% due to the way the circuit works, so it can never go entirely to 0% and instead goes off -> 10% to 90%.

The solution is to suspend the flask over the plate. You can easily control the number of joules of heat reaching the flask, and so it's temperature, by moving it closer or further away. Another trick is to wrap a foil skirt from the neck, draping it around the flask and onto the plate to act as a t-p. Do not touch the base of a round bottom directly against the plate.

protem
Harmless

Mood: improved

[*] posted on 26-7-2010 at 00:46
sticking points

Recently a stirrer/hotplate showing lack of response to low heat setting of the temp pot was repaired by (very) carefully cleaning the points of the thermal regulator with abrasive paper. So - sticking points can cause this kind of problem.

Go To Top