Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-7-2010 at 09:12
A plea for abbreviation sanity

Would it be possible for (you know who you dobe) to please
stop making up your own abbreviations and use standard
internationally recognized abbreviations when they exist, e.g.,
ETN — I assume it is erytritol tetranitrate though it could be
ethriol trinitrate. The standard abbreviation (from Köhler {you can
DL'd it free}) for erythritol tetranitrate is ErTeN.

Byda the abbreviation for Octahydro-1-acetyl-3,5,7-trinitro-s- tetrazine
is SEX or QDX.

Hennig Brand
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-7-2010 at 14:19

I understand where you are coming from, and to a large extent I agree. ETN as an abbreviation for Erythritol Tetranitrate however, has become so wide spread at least in the pyro and amatuer science community, that it has become firmly and widely recognized and entrenched in most of our lingo. This may be a step down and a basterdization of proper science terminology, but language does change, it is always evolving. Groups of people in many different types of activities develop their own lingo and terminology for things, often in the strictest sense improper or basterdizations of the proper use(for instance most amatuers have probably only ever heard of ETN being the one thing, actually strictly incorrect) . I think you are right though, and I do feel compelled to try and be as scientifically correct as possible. It is important that there is one universal language that all scientists use to communicate(or as close to a standard as possible). I am not really a proffessional scientist, but I at least to some extent understand some of the reasoning behind what it is they do. I wouldn't take it too seriously though, especially since this one went off the tracks a long time ago.
I'm just talking out of my but here, I do however appreciate you pointing out the difference in terms.
I'll try and start using the appropriate abbreviation maybe, however it may make it a little harder to communicate with some:)
BTW are you a Chemical Engineer? The whole wizard thing and you being quite profficient got me wondering.

Go To Top