Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Questions about PICRIC?....
pjig
Hazard to Others

Mood: always learning

[*] posted on 10-8-2010 at 13:52

I wonder if it could be mixed well while in a melted state and poured into a paper casing like dynamite, and cooled quickly before the picric separates out. This would have a high density and take less time to make.
Im curious about the paraffin or stearic acid, if it would be enough coating , to stop the formation of dangerous metal picrates.
grndpndr
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-8-2010 at 22:20

Quote: Originally posted by pjig  
I wonder if it could be mixed well while in a melted state and poured into a paper casing like dynamite, and cooled quickly before the picric separates out. This would have a high density and take less time to make.
Im curious about the paraffin or stearic acid, if it would be enough coating , to stop the formation of dangerous metal picrates.

I dont think Im the only one that would find this
a bad Idea! IIRC the MP and decomposition or detonation Of Picric acid are within a few degrees of each other so even factory cast PA
most often was mixed with a lower melting point substance.
I dont believe there would be any way for the mixture(parafin/stearic acid( to become mixed intimately in a melt ,likely like oil and water.Even if it were possible you could make detonation Impossible.Plain Cast PA can have problems with completely detonating.Sometimes even while confined in a artillery shell.The method described rm temp/warmer parafin/stearic acid would be more effective, IE,more easily detonated but even then a powerful detonator should be used and confinement in the form of a sandbag or buried would assist in complete detonation.I believe crystaline PA/binder can be detonated with a good composite cap even if pressed to 1.6 plus.(Some books list cast as its max density @1.64 some list PA pressed to over 1.7 ,please bear with me:).Also were talking about loss of life and limb so coating the metal container
wherever its contacted by PA or even a mix of PA/Paraffin could save your life.Take nothing for granted!!:(

I would think cast or PA/binder would be best used in a confined state with a strong booster.That confinement could be provided by a
IED similar to a CSC or a steel/copper EFP.

There are a lot of uses for PA that modify its basic characteristics.The Nitromethane/PA mix, PA/various nitrations of napthalene eutectics.
DDNP/PA. Ive mainly only seen it used in a composite detonator pressed in its crystaline form.For which use it was very effective. detonation of plain crystaline PA in a plastic pill bottle. Use the patent as described or use another method/
explosive would be my advice but attempting to melt the parrafin binder and PA to somehow produce a cast material is folly and a waste of your PA.

Ther was a good amount of experimenting going on in the US and \Im sure overseas to use the excess PA left over from ww1 shells and other uses.To date 20's30's most seem to involve using nitronapthalenes and oxidizers.Some with unstated amts of PA/ DNP,MNP/AN,very similar to Amatol it would seem?The Oxidizer, AN or NaNO3 are mentioned, getting a better OB very advantageous, perhaps the nitronapthalenes making detonation easier/more complete?!

[

[Edited on 11-8-2010 by grndpndr]

[Edited on 11-8-2010 by grndpndr]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top