Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Magnesium powder from magnesium pencil sharpener
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 29-7-2010 at 23:15
Magnesium powder from magnesium pencil sharpener

I have magnesium pencil sharpener and I want to obtain magnesium powder from it. I read somewhere that copper in powder form can be obtained from CuSO4 by adding small aluminium pieces to solution. Could I make solution of magnesium acetate and add small pieces of aluminium to get magnesium powder? What are ways of making powder with chemistry from ribbon? Thanks :)
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-7-2010 at 23:22

Mg2+ to Mg (-2.37 V)
Al to Al3+ (1.66 V)

http://www.jesuitnola.org/upload/clark/refs/red_pot.htm

Please, next time try using any search engine at least for 5 min before giving up and opening new random threads.
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
29-7-2010 at 23:23
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 29-7-2010 at 23:38

Quote: Originally posted by Nicodem  
Mg2+ to Mg (-2.37 V)
Al to Al3+ (1.66 V)

http://www.jesuitnola.org/upload/clark/refs/red_pot.htm

Please, next time try using any search engine at least for 5 min before giving up and opening new random threads.

I forgot about search engine. Does this mean the reaction can or cannot be done?
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-7-2010 at 04:21

I don't think so.

If the two half reactions add up to less than 1V then the reaction doesn't happen iirc
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 30-7-2010 at 05:46

See reactivity series. In general, a metal can displace a metal which is lower in the series. Mg can displace Al, but not the converse.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 30-7-2010 at 17:07

Not many things can beat out Magnesium. So, makin' it aint real easy.

Fortunately, it's commercially available and it's pretty cheap. So, why not just buy some?

There are certain restrictions on finely ground magnesium. But, you can still buy turnings, and ball-mill them to whatever mesh you wish.

densest
Hazard to Others

Mood: slowly warming to strain point

[*] posted on 30-7-2010 at 18:55

Uhhhhhhhhh.... Read Lloyd Sponenburgh's book on ball milling. At the end, he gives a very chilling story about milling flammable metals. Did you know that burning magnesium radiates in the ultraviolet? A few ounces of magnesium, burning in a fraction of a second, can radiate enough energy to permanently scar you over every inch of exposed skin?

You want to be sure to put some stearic acid or other oily substance which will adhere very closely to magnesium or aluminum if you grind it very fine.

For all the chemical applications I've dealt with, a coarse powder or turnings/chips are sufficient.

[Edited on 31-7-2010 by densest]
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 31-7-2010 at 20:22

Yup! Turnings have always been good enough for me. At least in the past they have.

Turns out finely ground Magnesium can ignite spontaneously? Hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense.

Some authors warn that "Activated" Magnesium may display that property. And, I've been researching the technique of ball-milling Magnesium under Hydrogen to produce Magnesium Hydride.....Followed by the use of the resultant Hydride to reduce NaBO2 to NaBH4.

Could allow you to make your own NaBH4 without resorting to Boranes, but it appears that the route via Magnesium may be fraught with its own perils.

Ummm. Perhaps Calcium Hydride.

PS....Some manufacturers of LiAlH4, used to sell the material as an oily paste, intermixed with mineral oil. Worked very well.
The oil coating passified the "touchy" LiAlH4, making it relatively safe to work with.

[Edited on 1-8-2010 by zed]

[Edited on 1-8-2010 by zed]
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 4-8-2010 at 06:48

Stop stealing from your chemistry teacher. :P

I would admit, the search button is quite well hidden up in the corner as far as beginners are concerned. On other forums, there's either a big button or a search box right at the top.

It'd be great if the code could implement a feature where it automatically searches the title against the forum before the post goes through, a'la the 'technical support' features of a lot of sites now; "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" "Yes..." "Dunno then... do you know we just released a new version for just $39.99?!"

Good post Zed, interesting scheming. :P

[Edited on 4-8-2010 by peach]

Go To Top