Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  30
Author: Subject: The short questions thread (3)
arsphenamine
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-10-2010 at 07:50

n.b. the c=c bond is c2-c3

The trivial name for the aliphatic homolog is 2-methyl 3-phenyl propionaldehyde.
Pope
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-10-2010 at 23:16

Quote: Originally posted by Sedit  
Quote: Originally posted by Pope  
How would one approach trying to separate an azeotropic mixture of Toluene/Methyl Ethyl Ketone, my goal is to completely separate and purify the existing Toluene.

The components exist as - 430g Toluene: 410g MEK.

Thank you for your assistance, I have tried the search engine with little success.

Sodium Metabisulfite will form a complex precipitating the MEK as an adduct. Repeated washes of the MeBn with Bisulfite solution should clear up your problem.

In order to run this reaction wouldn't you use ethanol to dilute the solution in turn forming another azeotrope with the toluene?
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 21-10-2010 at 01:10

I have few questions:

1. I have nail polish remover that has MEK, water, isopropyl alcohol, methoxyisopropanol, calcium chloride. I want to precipitate MEK with potassium metabisulfite. After that, how can I extract MEK from that extract without distillation?

2. Can I stabilize chloroform with brandy?

3. Is there some use for Copper (II) acetate in organic chemistry?

4. How could I extract chromium from stainless steel?

Thanks for answers :)
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-10-2010 at 14:57

1) No idea.
2) Should work, add brandy, some ethanol will go in to the chloroform phase, then separate the aqueous phase. But your chloroform will be wet and also likely contaminated with miscellaneous crap from the brandy that prefers to be in a non-polar solvent; why not distill the brandy first to get something closer to pure ethanol?
3) Yes
4) There is a thread on this here somewhere... see http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=13347#...

not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-10-2010 at 15:40

The bisulfite-MEK adduct is fairly water soluble, even with a saturated solution of bisulfite some of the adduct remains in solution. Given the CaCl2 in it, best to first distill and collect the portion boiling at or below 80 C, then make the addition product.

2-butanone.png - 242kB
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 21-10-2010 at 15:55

In order to run this reaction wouldn't you use ethanol to dilute the solution in turn forming another azeotrope with the toluene?

No need for ethanol since you don't wish to precipitate the adduct just wash it with Bisulfite solution.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
Pope
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-10-2010 at 21:18

Quote: Originally posted by Sedit  

No need for ethanol since you don't wish to precipitate the adduct just wash it with Bisulfite solution.

And the resulting adduct will dissolve in the bisulfite solution?
Sedit
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-10-2010 at 16:44

Does anyone know if AcOH would react with CaCl2?

Im pretty sure it doesn't but before I use it as a drying agent to report the yeilds on my Dichloromethane extraction of acetic acid I want to be 100% sure it won't give me issues. I would normally use MgSO4 for this but I am all out and forgot to pick some up.

Acetic acid was made from Sodium acetate and Sodium Bisulfite and the addition of DCM showed a small H2O layer on the top that I want to do away with before filtering since it will hold more AcOH then I want it to decreasing yeilds.

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-10-2010 at 17:06

Most CaCl2 contains some Ca(OH)2 and/or CaCO3, which obviously don't go with AcOH. Also CaCl2 forms adducts with compounds containing -OH, -NR2 (especially -NH2), and C=O; while not strictly a reaction and of less strength than the CaCL2-H2O adduct, they will get pulled from solutions to some extent. Strong aqueous CaCll2 solutions will be less absorbent of those compounds, still Na2SO4 or MgSO4 would be a better choice.

Sedit
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-10-2010 at 21:13

The desired goal is to use anhydrous CaCl2 and add just a small amount to dry DCM/GAA mixture. Without very much H2O present (and non when its done its job)do you feel it will still have this problem?

DeAdFX
Hazard to Others

Mood: @%&$ing hardcore baby

[*] posted on 25-10-2010 at 12:31

I did some research on protecting graphite anodes in a chlorate cell. Coating the anode with polystyrene, linseed oil or some other material will result in a more durable anode.

I decided to coat my anode in polystyrene. After doing so my anode is bubbling much less in comparison. Is less bubbling indicative of a more durable anode? Did I apply too much and has my efficiency gone down?
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-10-2010 at 14:01

Seems like you will want to measure current flow to have an idea of what is going on. It seems *likely* that you coated it too thickly and that the polystyrene has formed an electrically resistant layer, but measuring the amps would give you a clearer picture of what's going on.

Sedit
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-10-2010 at 15:53

I tryed extracting AcOH using acetone but I fear excess Sulfuric acid left over in the Acetic acid synthesis has led to an aldol condensation product of somekind.

It smells like cat piss or some other foul smell and appears to be dark brown in color but this could be impurities in the sulfuric acid used.

solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 27-10-2010 at 16:23

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

...trying to name this compound....some help....solo

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-10-2010 at 17:38

3-phenyl-2-methyl-propanoal (or propionaldehyde) oxamine is what I would call it, at first look. Likely someone who keeps up on terminology will correct that, so I get to learn something.

solo
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-10-2010 at 07:02

Quote: Originally posted by not_important  
3-phenyl-2-methyl-propanoal (or propionaldehyde) oxamine is what I would call it, at first look. Likely someone who keeps up on terminology will correct that, so I get to learn something.

....thanks, you gave a good educated name, here is the name of the material.......2-methyl-3-phenylpropanal it's not the oxime but that will be easier to find......with the main skeleton name

......source,

http://www.chemsynthesis.com/base/chemical-structure-6195.ht...

[Edited on 28-10-2010 by solo]

[Edited on 28-10-2010 by solo]

not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-10-2010 at 09:49

Yeah, forgot the rule that numbers goes from low to high, payed too much attention to the mass of the radical. Duh ... Old age is taking its toll.
solo
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-10-2010 at 13:09

....has there been any reports of recimization when doing reductions of halogens with compounds with chiral centers , case and point and iodated phenylalaninol HCl.....based on a reading with a refractometer the index points to a recemic amine......solo

Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 4-11-2010 at 15:42

what i would get if i would mix poor man's aqua regia (hcl + nh4no3) and benzoic acid? COuld I get some useful product out of this and I read somewhere that aromatic compounds give chloropicrin with aqua regia, is this true?

I would also like to make p-aminobenoic acid without nitration of benzoic acid (i don't have any sulfuric acid). Is there another route to it from benzoic acid?

[Edited on 4-11-2010 by Random]
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-11-2010 at 16:49

Benzoic acid is a bad starting point for p- and o- substitution, meaning it's just about worthless for making PABA. There is a recent thread on making PABA, within the last week or so; read it and then ask further.

Bolt
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-11-2010 at 00:19

Hi, I'm wondering whether anyone can point me toward a good review or book chapter describing elemental calcium as a reducing regent in organic synthesis.
DeAdFX
Hazard to Others

Mood: @%&$ing hardcore baby

[*] posted on 7-11-2010 at 16:03

I plan on making some copper nitrate via double displacement of a nitrate salt and copper sulfate.

Which nitrate salt will produce the easiest to filter sulfate percipitate? Strontium or Barium?
solo
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-11-2010 at 10:34

I have Nickel acetate and need Nickel chloride....is there a way to convert it to the chloride salt ....have looked in google and found nothing....will most likely be found in some inorganic text...will keep looking, but if someone knows i would appreciate the assist.....solo

Sedit
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-11-2010 at 16:17

I would think roasting the acetate would leave you with the oxide which HCl would convert to the chloride but this is just an assumption with little thought put into it to be honest.

I have a question. I got a paint thinner that contains acetone,DCM,MeOH,Toluene and KOH.

I can not seem to seperate the layers very well using water and distillation bumps so bad even with boiling chips. Any suggestions on whats going on here. Im shocked DCM and KOH can even be in the same solution since my instincts tell me it would be a bad idea but I guess it can.

I only want the toluene and DCM so perhaps steaming it would be my best option I guess. Right now its my cheepest over the counter source of Toluene.

arsphenamine
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-11-2010 at 21:00

Quote: Originally posted by solo  

...trying to name this compound....some help....solo
N-(2-methyl-3-phenylpropylidene)hydroxylamine

To search PubChem or ChemSpider, try the SMILES string first.
The InChI string may be overkill. I'm guessing that stereochemistry isn't too important here.

SMILES: CC(CC1=CC=CC=C1)C=NO
InChI=1S/C10H13NO/c1-9(8-11-12)7-10-5-3-2-4-6-10/h2-6,8-9,12H,7H2,1H3

ACD/Labs has a freeware name generator that is limited to 50 atoms per compound including H. The commercial lite version is ~$150 and is
quite good. IUPAC, the nomenclature org, gives it their blessing.

ChemAxon's MarvinSketch is almost freeware, has an academic license hook, but handles larger structures. Not as slick as ACD/Name, but v. useful in other ways as well.

[Edited on 9-11-2010 by arsphenamine]
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  30

Go To Top