Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  12    14    16  ..  30
Author: Subject: The short questions thread (3)
Phthalic Acid
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-9-2011 at 23:45

I'm looking to dissolve cupronickel coins in HCl then use ammonia to precipitate the NiCl2 from solution (as I believe the Cu2+ ions complex with it). My question is: when using hydrogen peroxide as an oxidizer, how much do I need to use in relation to the rest of the equation? Let's say 2 moles of HCl and 1 mole of coins. Do I use 1 mole of H2O2? Any help would be greatly appreciated =)
Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-9-2011 at 07:53

Nickel also forms an ammonium complex if I'm not mistaken.
The H2O2 tend to decompose to water and oxygen (which mostly escapes from the solution), I suggest just add it in small amounts until all of the metal dissolves (stir between addition of H2O2).
dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-9-2011 at 03:35

Anyone any thoughts on the reaction of Nitrites and Pb3O4 (Minimum) in the presence of Lead Nitrate and Nitric acid?.
It has been stated that Minimum will destroy Nitrites in a Lead Dioxide plating tank.

Hydrogen Peroxide cannot be used as it reacts with Lead Dioxide in the presence of Nitric acid.

Thnaks,
Dann2
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 09:08

I was always wondering what exactly is a "chlorine bomb". There was a flood of videos depicting dumbasses pouring a liquid over a white solid and then shaking it closed tight. Some bottles blow into their screaming faces, and some blow with a delay.

I had trouble actually finding what are the ingredients (I see no chlorine being added) and the reaction itself. And I've noticed these videos come primarily from USA. I never ever heard someone doing that in Europe.

Thanks...

bonelesss
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 12:26

Quick google search :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorine_bomb

chlorine tablets and rubbing alcohol

[Edited on 18-9-2011 by bonelesss]
Endimion17
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 14:12

You really thought I didn't think of Google and Wikipedia?

What are those "chlorine tablets"?

bonelesss
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 14:16

chlorine tablets are used in swimming pools.
But reason why it is used i don`t know

hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 14:32

They are probably <a target="tab" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichloroisocyanuric_acid">TCCA</a>, <a target="tab" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichloroisocyanuric_acid">DCCA<a/>, or <a target="tab" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_dichloroisocyanurate">NaDCC</a>. Im not sure of what the mechanism is behind its reaction with isopropanol however, or if chlorine is actually the main gaseous product; the name might come from a misconception.

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
Endimion17
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 14:53

Quote: Originally posted by bonelesss  
chlorine tablets are used in swimming pools.
But reason why it is used i don`t know

Disinfection doesn't ring any bells?

Quote: Originally posted by hkparker  
They are probably <a target="tab" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichloroisocyanuric_acid">TCCA</a>, <a target="tab" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichloroisocyanuric_acid">DCCA<a/>, or <a target="tab" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_dichloroisocyanurate">NaDCC</a>. Im not sure of what the mechanism is behind its reaction with isopropanol however, or if chlorine is actually the main gaseous product; the name might come from a misconception.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but who knows what's inside.
Trichlor, dichlor, or sodium salts. Might even be a hypochlorite...

So it's isopropanol, not ethanol? Isopropanol is a secondary alcohol, therefore less prone to a nucleophilic attack than ethanol. That might put a new perspective on this, if we're dealing with trichlor and similar compounds.
BTW I'm surprised how easy is to obtain isopropanol in large amounts in USA. "Rubbing alcohol"... we use exclusively ethanol for rubbing here. Most people have no idea what isopropanol is.

I don't know whether this is a true chemical reaction between two compounds or just catalysis.

Can anyone try this at home? In a controlled environment, of course.

[Edited on 18-9-2011 by Endimion17]

hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 15:07

I"ve thought about doing it and capturing the gas(ses) for observation, however now that I am away from my lab that is not an option. I would be very interested to see the results however.

Rubbing alcohol is isopropanol here, ans it is very easy to get. Ethanol is actually hard to get except in alcoholic beverages and from some chemistry suppliers.

I'm sure anyone more experienced in organic chemistry then I am could offer an explanation, I might open a thread in the o chem section if it hasn't already been done in the past.

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
Roger86
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-9-2011 at 10:12

How much mercury could i extract from mercury lamp? Lets assume its 125W one.I want mercury while its still available, since the LED era has started.I read the readily available and it stated i should practice caution, is it because mercury is off the charts toxic, or is there a second source of danger?

Also i believe there are no mercury in modern mercury switches?
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 23-9-2011 at 02:21

Quote: Originally posted by Roger86  
How much mercury could i extract from mercury lamp? Lets assume its 125W one.I want mercury while its still available, since the LED era has started.I read the readily available and it stated i should practice caution, is it because mercury is off the charts toxic, or is there a second source of danger?

Also i believe there are no mercury in modern mercury switches?

Don't bother with the lamps, by some cinnabar from a minerals supplier, some mercury switches still have hg in them.

barley81
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-9-2011 at 08:59

I can buy 1L of either conc. phosphoric acid or glacial acetic acid. Which do you think would prove more useful in the long run? I have already 4 oz. of both.
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 23-9-2011 at 10:04

If you typically are interested in organic chemistry, it is probably better to go with the acetic. If you work more with oxidizers or inorganic, better to go with the phosphoric.
Phosphoric can also be useful to make HI or HBr, which are both useful reducing agents in organic chemistry. HI, in the absence of water, can fully reduce ketones, removing the oxygen atom.

[Edited on 23-9-2011 by AndersHoveland]
barley81
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-9-2011 at 10:47

Thanks! Acetic acid it is. If I need HBr (solution) I'll make it from sulfuric acid, and I probably won't use HI regularly since iodide salts aren't cheap.
Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-9-2011 at 04:22
sponification of methyl salicylate and sodium hydroxide

In the reaction of Sodium Hydroxide with and Methyl Salicylate do i need water to dissolve the sodium Hydroxide or can i just mix the the sodium hydroxide straight in to the methyl salicylate. I want to evaporate teh Methanol that forms with minimal to no water, and i cant distill off the methanol because i dont have the right glassware to do so.

bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-9-2011 at 04:53

Just mixing should work, leaving you (ultimately) with sodium salicylate and methanol. But I actually see no reason not to add water... what is your objection to applying a little heat to drive off the water? Sodium salicylate should be stable to quite a bit over 100C, and you could dry it in a short time at a mere 60C.
Note that what you are doing is not saponification, as your starting material is not a triglyceride. It is base-catalyzed hydrolysis. And be aware that concentrated NaOH can etch glass.
Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-9-2011 at 05:03

in the reaction, does it produce any water at all or not? can i dry the methanol with sodium hydroxide or magnesium sulfate? i cant heat anything... i can only use the sun really :/ im planning on investing in lab ware, i really really do need more then what i have... im pretty sure sodium salicylate is more soluble in methanol right?

Steve_hi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-9-2011 at 06:43
seperating calcium sulfate from ammonnium nitrate

Hi hope this is the right place.
I am working on getting ammonium nitrate from fetilizer 27-0-0
I was told to mix it with water and decant it which i have done
now today I read from a previous reply to my post that I may have calcium sulfate mixed in is there a way to seperate the calcium sulfate from the ammonium nitrate and how can I test the ammonium nitrate for immpurities my immidiate use for some NH4NO3 will be to make some nitric acid.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 29-9-2011 at 08:06

Filtering a hot, saturated solution of AN and cooling will precipitate fairly clean crystals.
But alkali metal nitrates are preferred for NA production because AN is subject to oxidation in hot H<sub>2</sub>SO<sub>4</sub>.

Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-9-2011 at 09:15

If your just trying to separate Calcium Sulfate from Ammonium nitrate then just add enough water the the batch, Ammonium nitrate is easily soluble and will dissolve but the Calcium Sulfate is insoluble in water and can be decanted as you said, to remove some impurity, just add methanol to the AN, AN is soluble in Methanol and will leave behind any other impurity. then you can recrystillise the batch to obtain a better product :)

solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 9-10-2011 at 13:24

.......CH3CH[NH2COCH3]CH3 how can i remove the acetyl group attached to the amine....Or reduce it to a methyl group....thanks for any tips, i have looked but not sure,......solo

P.S. ....i've read where hydrolysis will do it, can it be decarboxylated to leave the methyl group

[Edited on 9-10-2011 by solo]

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
fledarmus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 04:03

Deacetylation of amines has always been a challenge. Strong acids and bases with heat will both work, but they tend to chew up the rest of the functional groups in your molecule as well. Doing a Google Scholar search for deacetylation of amines will show quite a few exotic attempts to do this, since it shows up frequently in protein synthesis.
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 20:20

Is hexamine soluble in dichloromethane? I only found information for chloroform

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-10-2011 at 05:31
Identifying Chromate salts

I recently extracted a chromium compound from pigment paint, its a Bright yellow salt... its either Strontium or Barium Chromate, how can i test? i know if i can get it to chloride or something and burn it, it will produce either red or green but how would i remove the chromium from the strontium or barium if u know what i mean?

Pages:  1  ..  12    14    16  ..  30

Go To Top