Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  24    26    28  ..  30
Author: Subject: The short questions thread (3)
toothpick93
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-4-2013 at 02:34

Could the Production of Nitric Acid be done by this reaction?

H2SO4 + 2KNO3 = K2SO4(precipit) + 2HNO3

If so does it have to be distilled? or does the K2SO4 actually precipitate out?
Finnnicus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-4-2013 at 02:48

You're really going to want to distill it...

toothpick93
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-4-2013 at 02:52

Is it possible to do it with out distilling? I dont have any sort of equipment that allows me to distill
Finnnicus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-4-2013 at 03:06

This doesn't sound like a good idea... But if you are all glass, i guess you could use the crude HNO3/H2SO4/K2SO4 Solution, just make sure that what ever is nitrated (assuming thats what you're doing) does not react with K2SO4. Also use an excess of H2SO4.

...someone smarter than me is needed to help this guy.

Finnnicus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-4-2013 at 03:08

OR! You could produce NO2 vapour and dissolve that in water. Just add copper to your crude solution and dissolve the NO2 produced?

Vargouille
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-4-2013 at 04:48

You will produce "nitric acid", in the sense that it's a mixture of protons and nitrate. Your mixture of potassium nitrate, potassium sulfate, nitrate ions, sulfate ions, and protons will probably act like nitric acid for the most limited of purposes (e.g. some nitrations), however, the inclusion of potassium and sulfate will make it a poor source of nitric acid for most purposes, nor will the solid at the bottom of your flask be purely potassium sulfate. The way people get the nitric acid, and make the potassium nitrate react more fully, is to distill off the nitric acid. A better option, without resorting to distillation, would be to mix solutions of sulfuric acid and calcium nitrate, so that the calcium sulfate will precipitate, leaving a fairly dilute solution of nitric acid. If you need concentrated or fuming nitric acid, you really do need a distillation set up.
barley81
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-4-2013 at 11:43

Here is a short, fun question. What does the flame look like if you light a jet of oxygen in an atmosphere of methane (or any other fuel gas)? If the gas contains carbon, I suppose a lot of soot will be produced.

This experiment is too dangerous to try for most amateurs, as there is substantial risk of explosion.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 15-4-2013 at 11:22

Quote: Originally posted by barley81  
Here is a short, fun question. What does the flame look like if you light a jet of oxygen in an atmosphere of methane (or any other fuel gas)? If the gas contains carbon, I suppose a lot of soot will be produced.

This experiment is too dangerous to try for most amateurs, as there is substantial risk of explosion.

I believe it looks exactly like a regular flame. Remson's "College Chemistry" (1904) has this an an experiment- break off the bottom of a good-sized retort, blow coal-gas in through the mouth and ignite once all the air is purged from it. Then take a platinum tube, and run oxygen through it, and pass the tube into the gas where the oxygen will catch fire.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
jenifer133
Unregistered

[*] posted on 15-4-2013 at 11:44

When equal volumes of the following pairs of liquids are mixed thoroughly and allowed to stand, which pair is most likely to separate into two layers?

Thanks

elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 15-4-2013 at 11:58

Quote: Originally posted by jenifer133  
When equal volumes of the following pairs of liquids are mixed thoroughly and allowed to stand, which pair is most likely to separate into two layers?

Thanks

...Cleverly disguised spam? The username, lack of follow-up on the post (what pairs of liquids?) and the signature check out for spam.
If that's the case, hold on to your Faraday cages, folks, the spammers are getting smarter.

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
Vargouille
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-4-2013 at 12:16

Or someone isn't very good as asking to be spoonfed, since this is almost certainly a question ripped straight from homework?
hafnium
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-4-2013 at 00:29

Do I need a water trap if I'm using an aspirator for a vacuum distillation procedure? And if I do, would this one work?: (http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-40-inlet-Adapter-for-vacuum-trap-...).

I guess I'm really asking if water getting sucked back into the system is a real concern when vacuum distilling.
confused
Hazard to Others

Mood: tired

[*] posted on 17-4-2013 at 01:08

I am completly new to vacuum distillation, i would like to know if it is possible to connect a water aspirator to the water pump supplying water to the condenser using a T joint connection to split the water imput between the condenser and the water aspirator.

What effect would that have on the stength of the vacuum and should i worry about the condenser cracking due to overpresure or not enough water flowing though it?

[Edited on 17-4-2013 by confused]
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 17-4-2013 at 02:14

I see no problem with that. I usually run a very low flow of water through the cooler.

An even better optimization might be to use the water from the cooler for the water aspirator. I first would take the cooler and the water coming from the cooler then goes to the aspirator. Of course, you then need a decent flow of water through the cooler in order to have good operation of the aspirator. I never tried this myself though, I have a true vacuum pump and no need of a water aspirator. Try it with some innocuous compound before you do things with highly dangerous/corrosive chemicals.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
confused
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-4-2013 at 07:51

im concerned about the presure buildup in the water condenser possibly cracking it
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 17-4-2013 at 08:30

Are you talking about water pressure from the cooling, or negative pressure from the vacuum? Condensers can handle normal vacuum distillation pressures, they are made for it. I've never had a condenser implode or crack from vacuum distillations. Test it under vacuum without any reaction running first if you want to be extra cautious.
confused
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-4-2013 at 21:32

no, i mean that since the water aspirator will be at the water output of the water condenser, wount it increase the pressure of the water in the condenser since the narrow opening of the water aspirator would increase the water pressure in the condenser?
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 17-4-2013 at 21:39

In a similar vein as the last question, which is better for vacuum filtration (and possibly distillation): A hand pump or an aspirator? (I may have asked this before, I forget.)

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
Vargouille
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-4-2013 at 01:12

It depends on the set-up in your lab. If you have a faucet in your lab with water running through it, it's great. It gives you fairly low pressures and you don't have to constantly hold it like you do with a hand pump. If you don't, like I do, it's either use the hand pump or pick up your stuff and mosey on over to a faucet. I choose the former.
hafnium
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-4-2013 at 14:43

A hand pump would be incredibly impractical for a vacuum distillation setup, as you'd have to constantly be applying your vacuum manually. It would work far better for vacuum filtration, but even then, a water aspirator is the better choice. Aspirators are cheap as hell too (something like $20 + whatever adapters you need for your sink or hose).

Don't get a hand pump...
manimal
Hazard to Others

Mood: ain't even mad

[*] posted on 19-4-2013 at 20:31

The other day I was musing on the Robinson tropinone synthesis and the reduction of 2-carboalkoxytropinones to alkyl ecgonines. The literature calls for sodium amalgam to selectively reduce the tropinone into the preferred exo orientation; would aluminum amalgam be able to achieve this same result? There are a dearth of literature references for the reduction of cyclic amino ketones by Al/Hg (the commonest reductive amalgam being sodium) and I am curious if the 'nascent hydrogen' generated would be active enough to affect this particular reduction.
Finnnicus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-4-2013 at 01:28

I have just (like actually, 10minutes ago) obtained ~4kg of filthy steel turnings, which I will clean, then what? I need something to do with this just sitting around... Maybe chromium extraction? I'll UTSE, but maybe something a little more interesting, and not requiring 1907 °C to get a pretty product. Any suggestions?

chemcam
Hazard to Others

Mood: I will be gone until mid-september, on a work contract.

[*] posted on 23-4-2013 at 16:58
Calcium Carbide?

Can calcium carbide be made by bubbling acetylene gas through a solution of a calcium salt? I have an acetylene tank but I want a solid from which to generate it by addition of water.

My YouTube Channel: ChemCamTV
IRC Channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
CycloKnight
Hazard to Others

Mood: Still waiting for the emulsion to settle.

[*] posted on 27-4-2013 at 06:17
Picric acid yellow stains

Help !
Can someone please tell me how to remove yellow picric acid stains? They've been on my kitchen linoleum floor for weeks, I've scrubbed and scrubbed. I've used lithium carbonate, but that isn't working either. I've also tried ammonia, acetic acid, detergent, ethanol, methanol, toluene, various bleaches (calcium hypochlorite, sodium hypochlorite and oxone), and a bucket load of elbow grease.

Is there anything that can remove these yellow stains?
Vargouille
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-4-2013 at 07:56

This site has a few suggestions to clean up. Aside from the ones you've tried, there is one made from boric acid, sodium benzoate, and water (4 parts boric acid, 1 part benzoate, 100 parts water) that may work for you.
 Pages:  1  ..  24    26    28  ..  30

Go To Top