Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Calcium cyanamide and aminoguanidine from urea and calcium oxide
Great
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-2-2016 at 20:46

Quote: Originally posted by Tdep  
Can you test how much carbonate is in it? You could be letting too much air in and it just oxidises, especially if you roast it for a really long time, eventually the air is going to destroy it

Yeah thanks it looks like you're right. The hole to allow gas escape was a bit too large, and the top layer of Cyanamideish stuff was mostly Carbonate, by the amount of CO2 it produced when added to HCl. The bottom layer is different, I think it was destroyed by water vapour. I had fixed my crucible with a gypsum plastery material plug previously, and water from it may have destroyed my product.

(This is one of my new accounts FYI)
Great
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-2-2016 at 18:13

Here's some photos. There's my crucible, comparing the Cyanate to Cyanamide, my setup, and finally, the reason Engager used an electric furnace.

IMG_20160218_170723.jpg - 784kB IMG_20160218_175253_1.jpg - 591kB IMG_20160218_173859.jpg - 691kB IMG_20160218_173206.jpg - 1MB

[Edited on 19-2-2016 by Great]
Great
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-2-2016 at 13:35

Okay so uh I got no reply when I asked about the Aminoguanidine Carbonate salt, so I'll have to experiment.

Instead of adding Sodium Bicarbonate solid, I'll be adding a solution of Sodium Carbonate to the somewhat saturated Aminoguanidine Sulfate. Hopefully Aminoguanidine Carbonate is insoluble.

Im doing this because my AminoGuanidine Bicarbonate precipitated after less than a minute, before all Baking Soda had dissolved.

EDIT
Apparently the Bicarbonate salt is formed by addition of Carbonate ion in whichever form. Time to fine out, because that would be an improvement to the process.

[Edited on 22-2-2016 by Great]
Daffodile
Hazard to Others

Mood: Riding eternal

[*] posted on 13-4-2016 at 11:41

Okay so I used a 'furnace' to make the Cyanamide. It's just some insulating firebrick with nichrome coils going around the sides. The thing makes somewhat okay Cyanamide, what I'm assuming to be just under 50%.

So since my Cyanamide is so shit, I used 15g of it, and 9g of Hydrazine Sulfate. I kept the pH pretty under control, but the temperature was hard to maintain. During the 80 degree Celcius step, the temperature went up to 95 degrees twice. My yield was about 2 grams, which is honestly shitty. I think I would have somehow messed everything up with the temperature. I know that not getting the temperature high enough is a big problem, but I didn't know about the temperature maximum.
Boffis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-4-2016 at 17:48

Silly question! Are you guys trying to make calcium cyanamide just for the thrill of making it or because you want to make aminoguanidine bicarbonate?

If the answer is the latter, why not just buy it? Its about 1.5 Euros per Kg from my local garden store for 55% calcium cyanamide or you can buy it online for even less. A little while back I bought a 25kg back. Check out:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Perlka-cyanamide-25-kg-fertilizer-...

I hate to see self flagilation, its such a waste of effort :D.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top