Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Get your red phosphorus while its hot!
agorot
Hazard to Self

Mood: like an activated complex

[*] posted on 8-8-2010 at 19:18
Get your red phosphorus while its hot!

And other rare metals.

For a mere $50, you can be the proud owner of a brand new sample of red phosphorus!

Seriously, unitednuclear is a terrible value, but I did find, to my surprise, that they will now sell red phosphorus to the public in the form of little coins.

http://unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=60
(scroll down--its not exactly alphabetical)

Probably no more than a gram or so, but if you really needed it and can't find it anywhere else (thanks druggies), here you go.

They also have other asorted metals on this page at equally outrageous prices (look even at copper! $5 for a one cent piece of metal!)

[Edited on 9-8-2010 by agorot]
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 8-8-2010 at 21:16

Now, we can't exactly blame those godless degenerate meth cooks for all of the legal hassles with Phosphorus and Iodine. Folks fail to notice, that there is a nine-hundred pound gorilla in the room, called "Big Pharmacy". "Big Pharmacy" makes lots of money selling Ephedrine products, and they are spending some of that money, lobbying hard to keep non-prescription Ephedrine on the shelves.

So, that's how it goes. The guys in drug enforcement feel compelled to do something, and non-prescription Ephedrine has a powerful and wealthy lobby behind it. Shazzam! Iodine and Phosphorus, get regulated instead.

Five dollars for a copper penny? Oh, what a wicked world.
anotheronebitesthedust
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-8-2010 at 00:37

I saw a Chinese guy selling 500g phosphorus lots on Ebay and they were selling pretty fast. Within less than 2 weeks the guy left as quickly as he came.

I think his username was "reagents something" but from what I can tell he's completely disappeared.
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 9-8-2010 at 19:19

Quote: Originally posted by zed  
So, that's how it goes. The guys in drug enforcement feel compelled to do something, and non-prescription Ephedrine has a powerful and wealthy lobby behind it. Shazzam! Iodine and Phosphorus, get regulated instead.

I made that same point a while ago. It's odd how it remains on the shelves despite them knowing where a lot of it's going and the problems it's causing.

I seem to recall someone describing meth as "the new crack" problem of the US, yet there it stays.

Also note the use of likening one drug to one with a previously established poor track record, saving money on re-establishing the public image of compounds that are new to them. "Saliva is like cannabis" (even though it works on an entirely different receptor system, not just a subset but a class difference), "BZP is 10 times more dangerous than meth" (later corrected to, 10 times less dangerous than meth, after it was scheduled).

Dr Ricaurte certainly agrees. Although, he also injected five monkies with meth rather than his desired compound of interest, then concluded it'd turn a human into a spoon with one dose when one of his test banana eaters died; fail for checking his compounds, fail for statistical analysis. Also odd how that is the single piece of evidence based work used against the drug in question that, last time I checked, was still being promoted by numerous government run initiatives as critical reasoning, despite it being withdrawn from the journal due to it's catastrophic flaws. I actually emailed one of them to point this out. No reply.

And as far as crack is concerned, I'm sure it's not a good choice in life. But Ben Goldacre has some interesting points to make about it's relation to the crime rates in his book "Bad Science"; a highly recommended read, alongside Freakonomics.

The meth issue is a bit like lysergides. When they realize where all that was going, and that other pharmaceuticals were usually as effective and couldn't be used for drug production, the ergot culturing industry pretty much shut down.

I can't buy ephedrine off the shelf here, and it's not an issue. It really is upsetting that they'd keep selling it knowing that's happening over there. That's probably why I can buy a kilo of iodine without any form of supplier account. And I prefer it that way.

It's interesting to have a read through all the old papers regarding lysergides. The hope they held out for them as a big thing for circulation and headache problems. How Sandoz inoculated fields with overhead sprays and pin boards. Very retro stuff. Have you seen Barbarella? :D

anotheronebitesthedust
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-8-2010 at 03:37

Quote:
Dr Ricaurte certainly agrees. Although, he also injected five monkies with meth
(As per Dr. Ricaurte's statement).
He could've injected that monkey with methylmercury for all we know. In fact his fellow lab technicians say that it would've been imposssible for a sample of mdma to mixed up with methamphetamine.

In other news Malladi Drugs seems to have broaden their product line as opposed to focusing only on pseudo/ephedrine.
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 11-8-2010 at 05:45

Quote: Originally posted by anotheronebitesthedust  
Quote:
Dr Ricaurte certainly agrees. Although, he also injected five monkies with meth
(As per Dr. Ricaurte's statement).
He could've injected that monkey with methylmercury for all we know. In fact his fellow lab technicians say that it would've been imposssible for a sample of mdma to mixed up with methamphetamine.

I did have a bit of a read around that story and found someone mentioning his supplier as someone like triangle or pyramid chemicals. Rather worryingly, is the amount of government funding going into his 'research', given the resulting 'mistakes' and law changes.

If anyone has a university journal account and can pull up his paper, I'd be interested to have a read of it and examine it word by word. Although, pessimistically, I have fairly strong suspicions about what I'll see.

Looking at United Nuclear's phosphorus... it is expensive. But, at the same time, I can imagine making all those little coin presses with each elements name on it was very expensive for them. It's also somewhat necessary (especially in the US) as selling it in big bottles is fairly questionable. Then they'll have to deal with all the odd requirements of each material (as I'm sure some of us appreciate) and produce a decent, solid, nice looking molding.

In terms of practically, it's expensive. In terms of someone collecting it to put a pretty coin of it in their table, maybe not. Personally, I think the coins are a kind of boring and don't 'show off' the elements to their best, unlike the table that started all this table madness, which used things like turbine blades and what not to demonstrate each element's special roles.

[Edited on 11-8-2010 by peach]

Globey
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-8-2010 at 11:50

Quote: Originally posted by anotheronebitesthedust  
I saw a Chinese guy selling 500g phosphorus lots on Ebay and they were selling pretty fast. Within less than 2 weeks the guy left as quickly as he came.

I think his username was "reagents something" but from what I can tell he's completely disappeared.

I bet it was a DEA sting operation.
Globey
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-8-2010 at 11:55

Quote: Originally posted by agorot  
And other rare metals.

For a mere $50, you can be the proud owner of a brand new sample of red phosphorus!

Seriously, unitednuclear is a terrible value, but I did find, to my surprise, that they will now sell red phosphorus to the public in the form of little coins.

http://unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=60
(scroll down--its not exactly alphabetical)

Probably no more than a gram or so, but if you really needed it and can't find it anywhere else (thanks druggies), here you go.

They also have other asorted metals on this page at equally outrageous prices (look even at copper! $5 for a one cent piece of metal!)

[Edited on 9-8-2010 by agorot]

You mean hot off the press! RedP coin, hehe.
The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-8-2010 at 12:58

Quote: Originally posted by Globey  

But first a question for those who loudly proclaim some of my
information is useless because it is only cut and paste
and they could have found it by themselves using Google.
If I cut and paste something that i had posted in the past
and was recovered by me using Google — what does the silliness
that is your epistemology say 'bout this?

rec.pyrotechnics
June 1, 2000

"There are 6 000 pounds of red phosphorus for sale on eBay!!
You could make enough of Sir William Armstrong's Deadly Brew to
remove Delaware from the map!

"Should be good for a visit or two from some/several government agency[s]!!"

http://tinyurl.com/2dqxxp4

[Edited on 18-8-2010 by The WiZard is In]
chemalien
Harmless

Mood: Cropped Out

[*] posted on 8-9-2010 at 02:44

Quote: Originally posted by The WiZard is In  

rec.pyrotechnics

total chinaman fed
June 1, 2000

BEWARE OF GOD
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 8-9-2010 at 05:13

Quote: Originally posted by chemalien  
Quote: Originally posted by The WiZard is In  

rec.pyrotechnics

total chinaman fed
June 1, 2000

Lanafan10
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-6-2013 at 15:18

Is this a sting op?

http://www.redbestoffers.com/index.htm
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 4-6-2013 at 15:24

To add to the post above about the element coins, United Nuclear did not actually make those - they just sell them. Here is the actual source, with a lot more cool stuff. http://elementsales.com/
I've ordered from them (though not the coins), so I can vouch for their legitimacy.

@Lanafan10: The likely answer is 'hell yes' - misspellings on multiple fronts, outrageous claims such as worldwide free shipping, and a primary focus on iodine (even though that's not actually hard to obtain) and red phosphorous gives credence to the opinion that this is either a sting for stupid cook, or just one REALLY stupid cook. I mean, honestly - free shipping?

[Edited on 4-6-2013 by elementcollector1]

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
binaryclock
Hazard to Others

Mood: Organic

[*] posted on 4-6-2013 at 15:50

Quote: Originally posted by elementcollector1  

@Lanafan10: The likely answer is 'hell yes' - misspellings on multiple fronts, outrageous claims such as worldwide free shipping, and a primary focus on iodine (even though that's not actually hard to obtain) and red phosphorous gives credence to the opinion that this is either a sting for stupid cook, or just one REALLY stupid cook. I mean, honestly - free shipping?

[Edited on 4-6-2013 by elementcollector1]

Also the sentences are short and have terrible structure. The content also sounds repetitive like the person is trying to fill in the blanks to make it look like they have a lot to talk about, which in reality they are just trying to finish the website quickly so they can make another fraud website.

And the "live chat" is actually a yahoo account. What respectable business actually uses a free email account like hotmail, gmail, or yahoo?

Current Project: Playing with my new Laboy advanced distillery kit!
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 4-6-2013 at 16:29

Quote: Originally posted by elementcollector1  

Nobody uses paypal for scams, as paypal heavily favors the buyer and will issue refunds at the drop of a hat. Chances are this is just an Eastern European with cheap chemical access, and no problem selling meth kits to Americans, who chances are will get the package seized anyway.

[Edited on 5-6-13 by The_Davster]
binaryclock
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-6-2013 at 19:59

Quote: Originally posted by The_Davster  

Nobody uses paypal for scams, as paypal heavily favors the buyer and will issue refunds at the drop of a hat. Chances are this is just an Eastern European with cheap chemical access, and no problem selling meth kits to Americans, who chances are will get the package seized anyway.

Ahh yes you're right about paypal. I know red phosphorus is used in meth production however would red phosphorus be seized at the US or Canadian borders? Is it a restricted chemical?

The_Davster
A pnictogen

[*] posted on 4-6-2013 at 20:21

USA: yes. Canada to a lesser degree.

Depends how it is imported.

Some guy in Quebec had a company "ExChem" around 2005 that essentiall sold red P, iodine, pentaerythritol, LiAlH4 and similar things in Canada. Made news when it was shut down. I just tried to find a news article about this, but instead found the owner's LinkedIn page. Looks like he avoided any punishment for this as his employment history is pretty tight.

actually...found it http://www.torontosun.com/news/columnists/mark_bonokoski/200...
binaryclock
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-6-2013 at 21:18

Quote: Originally posted by The_Davster  
USA: yes. Canada to a lesser degree.

Depends how it is imported.

Some guy in Quebec had a company "ExChem" around 2005 that essentiall sold red P, iodine, pentaerythritol, LiAlH4 and similar things in Canada. Made news when it was shut down. I just tried to find a news article about this, but instead found the owner's LinkedIn page. Looks like he avoided any punishment for this as his employment history is pretty tight.

actually...found it http://www.torontosun.com/news/columnists/mark_bonokoski/200...

Thanks for the article. That's terrible if he was just selling to mainly meth dealers. I live near Toronto and I've seen enough meth in my younger years to know it ruins kids. I wasn't the perfect kid either, but luckily never got addicted to vile chems such as meth like others around me.

As much as I hate the banning of certain chemicals, I can't argue with the fact that it's nice to see some of the main distribution lines shut down. But if kids really want to get meth precursors, they'll get them... so really who does the banning of chems hurt?

The_Davster
A pnictogen

[*] posted on 4-6-2013 at 21:24

He also sold other things. Like potassium nitrate and pyro and HE chems. To many amateur scientists and not just meth cooks.

Including me. :(

Although I stopped orders when he started also selling pseudoepedrine by the kilo. :o

binaryclock
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-6-2013 at 21:36

Well in Canada, we can get KNO3 cheaply from hydroponics stores so we're good there. The two main nitrites we have a problem getting in in Canada are:

1. Nitric Acid (no idea why this is banned.. we can get 94% sulfuric in home depot without trouble)
2. Ammonium Nitrate (thank the fert bombs for this.. ugh)

The_Davster
A pnictogen

[*] posted on 4-6-2013 at 21:43

Nitric acid comes from a lapidary supplier. They wash their (non double-entendre intended) rocks with it.
Lanafan10
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-6-2013 at 07:48

If it is safe with PayPal should I use and if not could someone divert me to a similar safe website?
elementcollector1
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-6-2013 at 10:25

Isn't <1g of red P supposed to be legal to ship anyway? If one could find such a small source, the problem for element collectors would be circumvented. Otherwise, I guess one would have to make it themselves, a dangerous and foolhardy experience.
I still don't trust PayPal - both me and my parents have had major problems in the past, despite its user-friendly policy.

Lanafan10
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-6-2013 at 12:27

Is this a sting op?

http://www.hottdealss.com/All%20chemicals.html
elementcollector1
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-6-2013 at 13:47

Either my Google page translated it without me knowing, or this site has very poor grammar, chemical or otherwise. I wouldn't trust anyone who lists 'tin' as 'stannic granular pure', and whose top sells are red P / iodine - it just doesn't bode well.
@Lanafan10, I'm beginning to wonder why you're specifically asking if the websites are 'sting operations' - true, red P and I2 are always prominent, but if you don't trust it, don't buy from it. Rarely will a site with correct chemical grammar and regular grammar/spelling be a sting or otherwise non-legitimate supply. Examples being Elemental-Scientific LLC, United Nuclear, HMS-Beagle, etc. They always have correct names, do not list red P and I2 on the 'favorites' (a pretty obvious tactic if you ask me), and have other equipment besides chemicals that is useful to the home chemist. To be fair, 2 of those three don't have red P, and the one that does was mentioned above.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top