Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Potassium from lithium in an organic solvent
agorot
Hazard to Self

Mood: like an activated complex

[*] posted on 9-8-2010 at 21:30
Potassium from lithium in an organic solvent

I had an interesting idea. Is there an anhydrous solvent that will dissolve potassium chloride (ionize it as well) so that when lithium metal is added, a single-replacement reaction will occur?

Possibles(?):
-DMSO
-Acetone
-Nitrobenzene
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-8-2010 at 22:09

How 'bout anhydrous diethyl ether.

KCl is soluble in it.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 10-8-2010 at 00:29

KCl soluble in diethyl ether? Well, I guess soluble or not soluble is a relative term.

Quote: Originally posted by agorot  

Possibles(?):
-DMSO
-Acetone
-Nitrobenzene

I guess you forgot that a solvent needs to be inert under the reaction conditions. All these react very violently to elemental alkali metals!

Try with diglyme and some more soluble potassium salt.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
agorot
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 10-8-2010 at 08:06

Quote: Originally posted by Nicodem  

Try with diglyme and some more soluble potassium salt.

I unfortunately do not have any diglyme. Other options?
Eclectic
National Hazard

Mood: Obsessive

[*] posted on 10-8-2010 at 08:30

Propylene Carbonate....but I think Potassium is more reactive than Lithium...it would work as hot molten salt because you could distill off the potassium vapor...but then you might just as well use activated carbon and K2CO3.

Whimsy: http://www.dilbert.com/2010-08-10/
agorot
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 10-8-2010 at 08:56

Quote: Originally posted by Eclectic  
Propylene Carbonate....but I think Potassium is more reactive than Lithium...it would work as hot molten salt because you could distill off the potassium vapor...but then you might just as well use activated carbon and K2CO3.

Whimsy: http://www.dilbert.com/2010-08-10/

If you look at a standard reduction potentials table, you will see that lithium is a more powerful reducing agent than potassium.
Eclectic
National Hazard

Mood: Obsessive

[*] posted on 10-8-2010 at 09:09

Per gram, maybe, but for something like reaction with water, slow fizz with lithium vs. detonation with cesium...
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-8-2010 at 09:34

A similar thing's been tried on this forum using a K-salt and magnesium power, based on a 'patent' and without any success.

While Li [0] is probably just about capable of reducing K [+I], this isn't going to happen at room temperature, at least not without a catalyst of sorts.

At elevated temperature, KCl dissociates a bit: KCl ---> K + 1/2 Cl2. The lithium would then mop up the chlorine, form LiCl and heat and a self-propagating reaction could be created, depending on the heats of formation of LiCl and KCl. Of course if you could distill the K off, you drive the equilibrium to LiCl + K.

At RT there isn't enough energy in dissolved KCl +Li to allow reactive collosions, IMHO.

And finding a solvent for KCl that not reactive with lithium metal? Good luck with that...

This is not much more than a pipe dream...

Quote: Originally posted by Eclectic  
Per gram, maybe, but for something like reaction with water, slow fizz with lithium vs. detonation with cesium...

You may be relying on the British Science Abuse experiments, which turned out to be a banal hoax and a self-confessed one too: Cs does react quite violently with water but not explosively.

Edit:

On Brainac's (Science Abuse) fake Cesium/water 'explosions':

http://www.badscience.net/2006/07/brainiac-fake-experiments-...

[Edited on 10-8-2010 by blogfast25]
agorot
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 10-8-2010 at 13:10

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

While Li [0] is probably just about capable of reducing K [+I], this isn't going to happen at room temperature, at least not without a catalyst of sorts.

At elevated temperature, KCl dissociates a bit: KCl ---> K + 1/2 Cl2. The lithium would then mop up the chlorine, form LiCl and heat and a self-propagating reaction could be created, depending on the heats of formation of LiCl and KCl. Of course if you could distill the K off, you drive the equilibrium to LiCl + K.

At RT there isn't enough energy in dissolved KCl +Li to allow reactive collosions, IMHO.

And finding a solvent for KCl that not reactive with lithium metal? Good luck with that...

This is not much more than a pipe dream...

Well, I really don't want to try to melt lithium... Liquid lithium scares me. :D

Oh well. It was worth a try. Maybe I'll work on a furnace for a KCl electrolysis apparatus.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-8-2010 at 04:27

agorot:

Wise words. The dream of making alkali metals at RT is akin to the alchemist dream of developing the 'Elixir of life' or turning lead into gold.

Precisely what can reduce what depends enormously on circumstances: the reduction potentials (in solution) are a poor guide for determining this. For instance, Al can reduce NaOH (to Na and H2) but Na can reduce AlCl3 (to Al).

Small amounts of potassium can be made quite safely by electrolysing molten KOH, although an argon blanket would help greatly. You can 'fish out' the floating potassium with a steel gauze. But starting this line of experimentation would be safer with NaOH.
agorot
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-8-2010 at 08:12

Small amounts of potassium can be made quite safely by electrolysing molten KOH, although an argon blanket would help greatly. You can 'fish out' the floating potassium with a steel gauze. But starting this line of experimentation would be safer with NaOH.
[/rquote]

KOH is such a strong dissicant though, I'm sure my supply has water in it. I would have to heat it at red heat for a while. KCl doesn't have that problem.
densest
Hazard to Others

Mood: slowly warming to strain point

[*] posted on 11-8-2010 at 08:25

Hot chlorine from electrolysing molten KCl would probably etch every piece of metal in your lab & give you a 6-week cough unless you have a way to catch it & dispose of it. Been there....

By the time KOH is molten I suspect all the water has been driven off. In any case, the water would be destroyed electrically.

You do have a spatter shield & eye protection? Hydroxide burns to the cornea are very fast and often permanent. A 30cm square piece of glass or clear plastic on a stand is pretty easy & cheap.
agorot
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-8-2010 at 08:43

Quote: Originally posted by densest  
Hot chlorine from electrolysing molten KCl would probably etch every piece of metal in your lab & give you a 6-week cough unless you have a way to catch it & dispose of it. Been there....

By the time KOH is molten I suspect all the water has been driven off. In any case, the water would be destroyed electrically.

You do have a spatter shield & eye protection? Hydroxide burns to the cornea are very fast and often permanent. A 30cm square piece of glass or clear plastic on a stand is pretty easy & cheap.

IIRC nickel undergoes passivation with the halogens and is quite robust. Molten hydroxides are pretty intense...I think ill stick with chlorine.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 11-8-2010 at 09:10

Wikipedia references the preparation of potassium from potassium formate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_formate
I do not have access to the book that they use as a reference and all my web searches have run in to dead ends so far.
Does anyone know anything about this process?

Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 11-8-2010 at 09:51

The so called formate-potash process is just a process for producing K2CO3 from K2SO4. Potassium formate is an intermediate product obtained after the first stage where K2SO4, Ca(OH)2 and CO are reacted under high pressure. The potassium formate is then heated in air to give K2CO3 (hence the name "formate-potash").

Why not trying to electrolyse some potassium salt in diglyme? Obviously a semi-permeable membrane is needed to separate the electrodes, but as long the salt is at least slightly dissociated in the solvent it should give some potassium at the cathode. Diglyme and other polyglymes are a bit expensive, but some salts could be soluble enough in THF as well.
len1
National Hazard

Mood: NZ 1 (goal) - Italy 1 (dive)

[*] posted on 11-8-2010 at 20:42

Since you are not doing it I think we know the answer to that one
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 04:08

A bit mean, isn't it, len1?
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 04:32

The so called formate-potash process is just a process for producing K2CO3 from K2SO4. Potassium formate is an intermediate product obtained after the first stage where K2SO4, Ca(OH)2 and CO are reacted under high pressure. The potassium formate is then heated in air to give K2CO3 (hence the name "formate-potash").

Thanks for that, it is a reaction I have never heard of.
It might be interesting to see if boiling an aqueous solution of formic acid, potassium sulphate and calcium hydroxide would have the same effect.
len1
National Hazard

Mood: NZ 1 (goal) - Italy 1 (dive)

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 05:33

Maybe. But is it not mean to suggest people try something that you have no experience in. One should have more respect for other peoples time and people in general, thats my suggestion to nicodem.
If potassium could really be obtained this way dont you think it would be well known by now? A high school experiment? Kolbe did report some electrogeneration of alkali metals in pyridine, but noone has been able to repeat that
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 07:15

To be honest, I think that it is very unlikely to be possible.
Getting a solution of a potassium salt in a sufficiently unreactive solvent seems like a tough order to me.
If it was possible than it would have been done by now and would almost certainly be noted in advanced text books.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 09:24

Quote: Originally posted by len1  
Maybe. But is it not mean to suggest people try something that you have no experience in. One should have more respect for other peoples time and people in general, thats my suggestion to nicodem.

Yes, I know, but this is such a contagious behaviour and I learned from the best. You could be proud and I should be ashamed.

Quote:
If potassium could really be obtained this way dont you think it would be well known by now?

This is not a good argument so I don't agree. If it was done it would certainly not be well known. Potassium has no practical use in rechargeable batteries due to its high molecular weight, so you can not say it would be well known like it is for lithium with its optimally low MW and high redox potential. For potassium it would be known only to those who are willing to dig in the literature, which is very few (and at the moment I'm not going to be one of these few).
How about using some more convincing argument. I'm all open for a scientific explanation. Let's suppose it is not possible, which is indeed likely, but I would like to know why not. So now you are given an excellent opportunity to explain why lithium can be electrolysed in glymes while potassium supposedly can not be. That would surely be something interesting to learn about (I mean this seriously and without sarcasm!).

Quote:
Kolbe did report some electrogeneration of alkali metals in pyridine, but noone has been able to repeat that

But that does not count as an argument against what I said! Already in my first reply here I explicitly mentioned that even before planing an experiment a "solvent needs to be inert under the reaction conditions". So pyridine is out of play with potassium metal.

Quote: Originally posted by ScienceSquirrel  

Getting a solution of a potassium salt in a sufficiently unreactive solvent seems like a tough order to me.

Actually that is not the main problem. Some potassium salts are highly soluble in polyglymes. For example, already potassium iodide, which would at the same time also be the optimal choice for such an experiment, has good enough solubilities in diglyme and excellent in tri- and tetraglymes (g/100g):
glyme: 0.5 g; diglyme: 2.5 g; triglyme: 26 g; tetraglyme: 30 g

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 09:58

Let's suppose it is not possible, which is indeed likely, but I would like to know why not. So now you are given an excellent opportunity to explain why lithium can be electrolysed in glymes while potassium supposedly can not be.
Well, one non-candidate for an explanation is ionization energies, as that of the 2s electron in lithium (520.2 kJ/mol) is significantly more than the 4s one in potassium (418.8 kJ/mol). If anything, there's something to look at with respect to ion size and solvation energies, as the Li(+) ion is significantly smaller than the K(+) one. Perhaps one of the dimethoxybenzenes would be suitable for potassium if the smaller dimethoxyethane isn't.

Edit: The ionization energy is more for Li, not less. Stupid sign error.

[Edited on 12-8-2010 by watson.fawkes]
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 12:52

Completely agree with Nicodem. In fact based on his and watson's input, I'd say there are probably good reasons to try this... And it won't be me because I haven't any glymes... :-(
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 13:46

Quote: Originally posted by watson.fawkes  
Well, one non-candidate for an explanation is ionization energies
On second thought, I can't tell what I was thinking, because i got it backwards. The ionization equations are thus:
&nbsp;&nbsp;520 kJ/mol + Li <--> Li(+) + e- (at infinity)
&nbsp;&nbsp;418 kJ/mol + K <--> K(+) + e- (at infinity)
The net equation is thus:
&nbsp;&nbsp;102 kJ/mol + Li(0) + K(+) <--> Li(+) + K(0)
These equation don't take into account either solvation energies or lattice energies, which might tip the balance.

Sorry.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 14:49

I willl subsidise Nicodem half a litre of any glyme he likes within reason if he agrees to do the experiment.
Not that he will!
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top