Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Zeolite - oxygen concentrator?
overunity33
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 01:19
Zeolite - oxygen concentrator?

Hi, interested in making an oxygen concentrator. Designs I have read involve 2 tubes of zeolite and utilize pressure swing absorbation. Compressed air at around 20psi moves through the first tube of zeolite for 30 seconds or so, then a valve is switched and it starts flowing through the other tube. Each tube runs for 30 seconds and then decompresses for 30 seconds. The tubes absorb the nitrogen from the air and during their decompression phase release it into the air.

My questions are:
1) What size granules of zeolite is preferable for this? The smaller the better?
2) Do the canisters release nitrogen effectively when they decompress to the atmosphere or do they need to be flushed with air?
3) Will the tubes heat up as a result?
4) If I wanted to produce 5L of O2 (~75%+, not medical grade) a minute, whats the ballpark size for a 2 tube setup? Can anyone help me calculate zeolites nitrogen holding capacity?
densest
Hazard to Others

Mood: slowly warming to strain point

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 09:32

Are you doing this for fun or are you going to use the oxygen? Rebuilt medical concentrators are available for $300-500 if you're going to use the O2 for a project.

See this thread: http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=14011 It includes some patents and a reference to a monograph.

It's not simple or easy to get right.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
19-11-2023 at 15:17

Go To Top