Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6
Author: Subject: Improvement in the yield of racemic PPA*HCl via Akabori reaction (35 % molar)
MrBlank1
Hazard to Self

Mood: Inadvertantly aloof?

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 23:02
Friendly advice to those in OZ

Not to derail the subject-

For WA, check misuse drugs act 1981, sections 6,13 and 14, in regards to SOME info on lawfulness of conduct. Applied IN CONJUNCTION with poisons act 1964. Other states will be similar, but with some variations. Be informed!

- Hope to be able to contribute some data as soon as things quieten down :P
KevTan
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-11-2014 at 05:31

Hi Guys,

I just want to find out, after reflux when separating the mixture while still hot, I get a Yellow phase instead of Orange/Red??? Could this be that my Benzaldehyde is not Benzaldehyde? My Benzaldehyde is CP grade that I bought, its a clear liquid with a strong Liquorice smell, and I've heard that it's supposed to smell like almonds?

Any info regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest Regards
KevTan
MrBlank1
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 5-12-2014 at 04:42

What I have noticed in comparing the german & japanese literature, using n-methyl-dl-alanine + benzalsehyde :

Acetylizing? is more important to yield increase than the dmso solvent, adding weight to Nicodems above statement that the claim:re solvent-yield relationship was likely trivial.

The workup with dmso is greatly improved, and hindered by, dmso's ability to both solvate, and dissolve into substances :P

From what I have found(possibly wrong), the way I see it is: fastest RXN completion/lowest temp/less excess aldehyde/more complete decarboxylation = better RXN yield/least quantity by side products

The ratio, in all cases, appears to be a 1:2 roughly(i have field lab data) of ephedrine/pseudoephedrine.To be vague in the name of not making this "cook material", relevant literature to isolate + characterize the substances was completed to 98% possible purity, but unfortunately no further tests applied.

------------------------------------------------------------

In terms of alanine and dmso, no ppa yield was noted, I'm assuming due to the presence of the solvent creating conditions where the side reaction responsible for said yield was negligble?

---------------------------------------------------------------

*** Anyone looking to use this RXN as a means of production for said compounds, don't bother. The isolation of a "pure" compound from this RXN is/becomes a labor of love, and the analysis of side-products a time hog ***

[Edited on 5-12-2014 by MrBlank1]

AAAAA = Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 5-12-2014 at 04:45

*sigh*
Can we at least not respond to posts in this thread that belong to brand new users just signing up to learn how to cook?

MrBlank1
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 5-12-2014 at 04:53

It wasn't in reply to him, my post above his made my intent clear. Not trying to argue, I just didn't actually register his post as "mind data". Sorry if my timing could have been better, or was a new thread the norm. ( I'm not being smart in any way )

Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-12-2014 at 10:39

It's generally considered best to post in existing threads for the sake of info consolidation, per the guidelines. Not saying you were in the wrong, but as an aside, such users (joining for drugs, not love of chemistry) annoy me as well.
MrBlank1
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 6-12-2014 at 22:29

I think I just got it.

I should have written at the beginning of my post " Following up on my previous stated intention to contribute ... ", in order to add context to the text that followed?. So it would have appeared as follow up to me, instead of as a reply to another?

I think from here on, I'll "structure" my posts a little more orderly, eg intro-statements-conclusions-questions.

Thanks for the patience guys, I am trying and do appreciate the aid.

[Edited on 7-12-2014 by MrBlank1]

Pages:  1  ..  4    6

Go To Top