Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hotplate / stirrer - Is it a good investment?
cnidocyte
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-8-2010 at 07:39
Hotplate / stirrer - Is it a good investment?

I found a decent site to buy a hotplate/stirrer combo that ships from my own country (I'd rather pay for the product than the shipping) but the cheapest hotplate going is 300 euros. This is a rare opportunity considering I actually have the money to buy it right now but it pains me to spend that much money on 1 item. Is this a good investment for a beginner or could I get by with a regular cooking hot plate and an overhead stirrer? I'm really considering buying this but I'm wondering if its a wise decision or not.
Synthettek
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-8-2010 at 08:09

You won't regret it. It is one piece of equipment you shouldn't do without or improvise. I spent about the same and do not regret it for one minute.
Magic Muzzlet
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-8-2010 at 08:14

Hey cnidocyte,

IMO a hotplate stirrer is one of the most useful things to have. In my earlier days of chemistry I thought that I would be fine with a normal hotplate and stir by hand or other methods, but really it isnt the case. Many reactions will become possible for you with the stirrer as well, you can leave things stirring for days etc.

Although I dont see why it must be so expensive for you, do you not have ebay or something for europe?
I got mine for 150$ USD on ebay and it is wonderful.

Basically yes it is worth it, good investment.

edit: mine is a used one but works good as new, you might try looking for a used one to cut down on costs.

[Edited on 30-8-2010 by Magic Muzzlet]
cnidocyte
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-8-2010 at 08:30

Thanks for the reassurement. I won't feel bad spending the 300 euro on it now. I'm gonna check ebay though, maybe I'd be better off getting a used one.
Hexagon
Harmless

Mood: Fanf*ckingtastic

[*] posted on 30-8-2010 at 08:48

Get one from China for 125-150 dollars, 220 V current of course.

Check MS-300 OR 400, I dont own one of them but they look space age gear.
cnidocyte
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-8-2010 at 15:53

Quote: Originally posted by Hexagon  

Good idea, I've ordered high quality electronics for insanely low prices from China in the past. Gonna look into this, thanks.
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 31-8-2010 at 02:08

Quote: Originally posted by Hexagon  

I have mentioned those ones here before. I don't own one, but they look as good as, or better than, the IKA's in terms of features. Digital heat and stir control (probably using encoders rather than pots), timer, 380C maximum (useful for drying things, IKAs go to 300 from memory).

Just buy one from one of the Chinese importer guys who's got a good reputation. If it breaks, which it probably won't if he has a good reputation, he'll likely take it back anyway.

IKA is nothing special. And their customer service is simply not comparable to the price they want for the items. Having to translate a bit of Chinglish for a price that's 1/5th of the IKA price for something with better features isn't a lot to deal with.

Hotplate / stirrers are good, but I suppose it depends a lot on what you're doing. If a lot of it is beaker type work and such, a work surface top hotplate from the tip will do.

If you're starting to do organic synthesis work in blanketed flasks, or under vacuum, and distilling at 200C plus with bumpy things, the heat / stir combination all in one unit is pretty much a necessity if you want to actually get on with the work.

As I've also said in other threads, I now have three laboratory pumps and there's possibly a turbo on the way. I still use vacuum fridge pumps. Depends what's going on.

Universities have the luxury of effectively blank cheques and technicians to clean up the mess or fix things the students break. We don't.

EDIT: If you get one of the MS-300 / 400's please, please post up a review of it, preferably first impressions on build quality and then another 6 months or a year later. I'd love to get one to compare it to the multi-thousand pound stuff I have. If they perform in a similar manner and the build quality looks good, they could be a really nice resource for Science Madness given the cost. Possibly worth a bulk buy so members can deal with a native Engrish speaker. I'll investigate.

[Edited on 31-8-2010 by peach]

zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 19:09

I don't envy the prices you guys are forced to pay for things, in other parts of the world.

I was offended by the bargain basement type prices, that we pay for things in the USA, until you guys wised me up about international/new prices.

300 Euros.......Well, if that's the going rate, I suppose you have to live with it.

The good point is, the unit will surely work with your native source of electricity.

Some of the guys have had problems, adapting foreign made equipment, for use with their local electrical supply.

cnidocyte
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-9-2010 at 04:19

I bought the hotplate locally for 300 euros. The postman just dropped it off. I feel like a kid on christmas day. My first hot plate/stirrer. Its a Stuart SB162
http://www.appletonwoods.co.uk/acatalog/SB162_Stuart_Hotplat...

probably could have got a far superior hotplate stirrer for the same price from a Chinese dealer at least I didn't pay much on shipping or get taxed by customs.

[Edited on 4-9-2010 by cnidocyte]

Go To Top