Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Best Note Taking Application for PC?
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 12-2-2019 at 18:15
Best Note Taking Application for PC?

I have used a few note taking apps. I have a touch screen laptop that I love and I am trying to phase out pen & paper.

The advantage of pen and paper is that it is so flexible. Using the grids on the pages of your average laboratory notebook you can do everything from draw neat looking aromatic rings to write reports. However, most PC applications are limited. I have yet to find a good app that can replace my lab book.

One Note, an office product is okay. It allows you to draw and type to some extent. However, it is very slow, owned by Microsoft, and is very limited. For example, there is no plugin for drawing molecular structures.

Evernote is good, but all you can do with it is type and insert pictures. Its advantage is that it works well in the workplace and is streamlined for speed. It has a very good user interface.

Does anyone know of any programs that would be a good replacement for a lab notebook?

It would be cool if someone could help me program one. It would need to:
1) Have a word processor
2) Be able to recognize molecular structures drawn and convert them
3) Have a filing system and table of contents

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 12-2-2019 at 19:21

You could use MS Word. If you like your touch-screen you can get into inking.

I don't think there is anything out there that will meet criteria 2.

I paid for webmo on my phone and it is awesome for molecule diagrams. Faster than anything else too. Cut and paste is your friend. Webmo free version will give you the sense of what it can do.

I use Google Keep as a note service. It won't do everything you want since it's word processing capabilities are limited. But it is really practical for pulling together stuff you think of randomly and want to organise.

Go To Top