Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Decent cell build....
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 11-4-2019 at 11:23

Your amber liquid looks like my filtered cell-solution after a 30 hour run and a half-eaten cheap oiled graphite rod...

markx
International Hazard

Mood: Very Jolly

[*] posted on 11-4-2019 at 13:10

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  
Your amber liquid looks like my filtered cell-solution after a 30 hour run and a half-eaten cheap oiled graphite rod...

Totally different animal though! :D

Come to think of it.....years ago when I saved this dangerous amber beauty from disposal I thought that I shall likely never find a reasonable use for it. In fact I mostly took it for the fancy bottle.....how wrong I was.

Exact science is a figment of imagination.......
Photonic
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-4-2019 at 12:05

For those investigating plating of platinum to titanium, or plating anything to titanium in general it is a fickle beast. One of the best references I have found as of yet is the ASM Handbook Volume 5 - Surface Engineering.

It has some good information on plating solutions, recommended rinse methods, prep, etc.
markx
International Hazard

Mood: Very Jolly

[*] posted on 18-4-2019 at 07:59

Some update on progress.....I tried to kill the 600C 4 coat anode by letting it run the cell to full conversion and beyond as far as could be perceived. The poor thing was ticking along in the cell at 4,5-4,6V and 0,7-0,8A for three days, then chlorate depletion set in and current dropped to 0,3A. I let the torture continue for 7 more days in hopes of reaching the end for this Pt deposit. Aaaaaand, it does not die, nor wear, nor passivate! :D
I gave up on that one, dumped the cell contents to collecting flask and charged a fresh chlorate solution into the cell. At 4,4V I get 0,85-0,9A current flowing, depending on how good the alligator clips manage to connect to the electrodes and the whole surface is working like brand new. This is amazing....it means that the anode survived a full conversion and depleted cell conditions without a hint of passivation. That is a first, usually I go through two anodes in a conversion run. The first one tends to die close to 3/4 th conversion and the second one ususally at the very end if chlorate becomes depleted. But the 600C 4 coat survived without a damage and is currently processing a second conversion. I think this might be very close to a sweet spot regarding the Pt deposition parameters. Let's see how far we can stretch this specimen :)

Exact science is a figment of imagination.......
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top