Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New State of Matter
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 2-2-2004 at 14:38
New State of Matter

Recently it was in the news that they discovered a new form of matter. Could someone, like a physicist in spe (like I_am_a_Fish :D) explain exactly what it is?
I could attempt to reproduce what was said in the newspaper, but it was very unscientific, and it's probably not worth reproducing it myself.
Anyway, all it said, that there are 5 states so far, gases, liquids, solids, plasma and the Bose-Einstein condensate. The sixth one is made of fermions (so of whole atomic nuclei?) and could potentially be used for room temperature superconductors... one day.. anyone care to comment?

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
I am a fish
undersea enforcer

Mood: Ichthyoidal

[*] posted on 2-2-2004 at 15:20

Particles can be divided up into two categories. Bosons have integer spin (e.g. photons, He4 nucleii), while fermions have half integer spins (e.g. electrons, protons). This distinction is important as any number of bosons can be placed in the same quantum state, while only one fermion can be placed in a single quantum state (for example, all the electrons in an atom must have different quantum numbers).

At low temperatures, the momenta of particles become very small and so are very precisely defined. By Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, this leads to a great uncertainty in the positions of the particles. If the temperature is low enough, the wavefunctions of the particles can overlap to form a so-called condensate. In a bosonic condensate (first produced in 1995), large numbers of particles occupy the same quantum state. However, fermions can't do this and so a fermionic condensate (which has just been produced) will have very different properties.

See:
http://www.physicsweb.org/article/news/8/1/14

1f `/0u (4|\\| |234d 7|-|15, `/0u |234||`/ |\\|33d 70 937 0u7 /\\/\\0|23.
maayan
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-2-2004 at 00:35
new state of matter

Does anyone think that it is significant that this state was found by the same people who are doing most of the government's work on quantum computing?
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 15-2-2004 at 06:52

Isnt "supercritical" also to be regarded as a state of matter?

Irgendwas is ja immer

Go To Top