Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: So my house was raided today.
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 08:24

Quote: Originally posted by Mr. Wizard  
A guy who lived a thug life, and died a thug, gets sympathy from what type of person? Maybe I just don't understand, and somebody can explain it for me.
Sympathy? Hardly! But he did express more than a little insight into misplaced priorities, don't you think?
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 08:31

i'm afraid that for those of us less familiar with his actions in life, much clarification would be necessary. ol' tupac may not have been the most popular entertainer on this forum so some of us would need more background info about your reference.

spong
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-11-2010 at 15:29

I thought I'd post back here and let everyone know what's happening, the test they ran came back negative for drugs obviously and the officer just had me sign a form allowing the spudgun they took to be destroyed so I didn't even get into trouble for that.
If all goes to plan I might be doing work experience over the holidays in one of their labs.
Turns out some good can come from being raided :P Plus they now know I'm not up to anything bad so I can perhaps stop being so scared of ordering from chemical companies.
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 11-11-2010 at 08:33

Quote: Originally posted by spong  
[
Fellas I my be in a spot of trouble... :P
And yeah I've given up on trying to talk about my hobby unless I really trust someone, when I was younger I was known as 'the kid that makes bombs' because I was into pyrotechnics. Urgh.

Realistically, it may have started there.

MANY (if not most) of us started in our teens or younger making BP or rockets and burning leaves with magnifying glasses or playing with microscopes but those days are gone.
Children get expelled from school for bringing nail clipper or scissors to school. Standing up to the school-yard bully will get the brave little kid into long lasting counseling.
This is whole different world. and (IMO) it was the folly of two that caused this mess. It was idiots who used political motivation to harm and reactionary Left & Right politicians who capitalized on a vote getting agenda by focusing on the "object" instead of the personal responsibility issues.

There are standing instructions to mailmen, gas meter readers, delivery people, and Lord knows who - to "report" suspicious activity - that means ANYTHING to anyone because the concepts become so subjective. You neighbor, no longer is a neighbor. People don't know each other nor care about their community.
Idiots start fires, wake up sleeping people with noise, ruin others property, & generally become such selfish assholes that the idea of reporting people has become 2nd nature!

Many people don't know this but "road rage"has now taken the standard of the "sneak attack" via a cell phone. If someone drives in a manner you don't like; you call the sheriff and report the auto and license number and say they looked like they were driving drunk.......just so they might be stopped and hassled or get arrested if sufficient issues exist.

Neighbors report neighbors for the same reason: vicious revenge - instead of common communication & dialog. The hobby of high energy experimentation; be that in physics or chemistry is not a safe thing. We know that. But what we often forget is that it isn't safe from a standpoint that we jeopardize ourselves due to the lack of civility & care that at one time used to be the norm.

You start up a large Tesla Coil in the outdoors and you neighbor has reception problems. He, in turn doesn't ask you calmly to cool it as he's watching football, he reports you for making a destructive device or stealing energy, or whatever.
You bang on an anvil to snap some chlorate @ dinner time and a call is made that you're firing a weapon, etc.

But -=IF=- you also have a "reputation" that is flexible enough to attract attention, then expect a problem. If you have been so relaxed that you entered into a conversation with a stranger and used the first person description of a chemical experiment you have made an error in judgment If there-upon, the other party attempt to query further; you might as well say directly that if they believe you are doing anything illegal, they have the wrong impression; because the "cat's out of the bag" in that interchange. You might as well get very "direct".

[Edited on 11-11-2010 by quicksilver]

Magic Muzzlet
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-11-2010 at 11:35

My God quicksilver.

Why did you post all that? After someone has something great to report, they can still do chemistry, you have to come and state all this stuff that could happen, will happen, happens etc. You seem *** paranoid and there is no need to say all this *** making other people worry! Truth of the matter is unless you are doing something illegal, why even bother worrying because you will probably draw more attention to yourself.

As if mailmen and all that really look out. Do you believe that? They may be told in their training or something to do so, but I can bet they don't give a *** about anything except finishing the job and getting home to have a beer. Now if something is obvious, your house is spewing out methylamine fumes or you are blowing stuff up, anyone in their right mind WOULD say something.

I understand there are different levels of severity in different states, but to say all you have making it seem like it happens everywhere isn't right. You never know what can happen, you need to be smart, and make sure you are clean. If you have obvious precursors you are asking for trouble. If all you want to do is make explosives, same deal. People who have a genuine interest in exploring chemistry at home should have enough common sense to not get screwed over. I can tell you that if you have your notes together, your stuff labelled etc you wont have trouble. I have been "raided" twice and each time nothing happened. NOTHING. Because I'm not doing things of questionable nature and believe it or not, the greater selection of reagents you have is a great indicator you aren't making illegal things. I also live in CA by the way, apparantly one of the worst places to do home chemistry?

There is enough paranoid talk on this forum, I am so sick of it. Can't people take a break. We aren't criminals(most of us), don't act like it. So spong, congrats on your visit and all going well. This is a great example of what can go right with amateur chemistry.

EDIT: Obviously I am only referring to the chemical side, not neighbor business, bad drivers....

[Edited on 11-11-2010 by Magic Muzzlet]
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 11-11-2010 at 13:42

Quote: Originally posted by Magic Muzzlet  

As if mailmen and all that really look out. Do you believe that? They may be told in their training or something to do so, but I can bet they don't give a *** about anything except finishing the job and getting home to have a beer. Now if something is obvious, your house is spewing out methylamine fumes or you are blowing stuff up, anyone in their right mind WOULD say something.

I posted a thread years ago about how a meter reader really did report me to the police for possible drug activity, because I was heating material in a crucible over a gas burner in the car port. I wasn't trying to hide anything, I even said hello to the reader, and none of the equipment or activities on display could be mistaken for drug activity by anyone with even a passing familiarity with chemistry or drugs. And yet soon after the reader left a cruiser pulled up to the house and a police officer wanted to ask me a few questions. He was polite and he knew enough about drug labs to realize I was harmless after a few questions and a glance at the equipment, but it was still extremely unsettling. And if I had been doing something organic in glassware instead, would he have wanted to investigate further? To look inside the house? To seize equipment for inspection, or otherwise make my life much less pleasant?

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
quicksilver
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-11-2010 at 09:26

Each community is different. We believe we know our communities. Some folks REALLY DO need to know that there ARE communities that they can get sniped and should watch their "P's" & Q's".

"WHY" did I say all that?

BECAUSE IT HAPPENS!

The fellow was somewhat lucky (in a sense) but he didn't simply walk away. And just because he made out OK is NO reason not to be aware that mailmen and meter-readers get a little lecture and then play junior G-Men.
Frankly, I damn well think it's a GOOD idea to remind people that others are TOLD to rat them out from a subjective perception!

YES I DAMN well believe that. If you DON'T -- GOOD FOR YOU!

You may live in a community with no "anti-meth" associations; itching to "stop the dope houses" or whatever.....But somehow I don't think so.

You have been "raided" (your term) TWICE and you think you have not a worry in the world? GOOD GOD MAN.......I think it's YOU who need to recognize that this shit HAPPENS and being aware of it is MUCH smarter than simply NOT talking about the differing methodologies behind it's happenstance.

One situation of a question by the authorities is common enough: but TWICE is another matter. Personally, I would be rather introspective if I have interchange with the authorities twice. That's not paranoia: that's self preservation. How many people have had to deal with utter bullshit because someone rat-fucked them?
But that's your thing. If you don't want to go there; fine. However, it was YOU who used the term "raided".
That is not a casual "what's up, fella'?" I think someone may have an agenda. If the subject is a sore spot with you I understand.
But if you're going to say I'm making things up; I'm not.
And if you want to attempt to chastise me for what I write or censor me, then I suggest you get reincarnated as NBK.
{Little joke there: to lighten this whole deal up.....nothing personal.}

You made a statement: "If you have obvious precursors you are asking for trouble"......do you have some idea what a LIST II chemical is and how common some are? Thus, the substantiation for a "raid" can be attained by OTC materials.

THAT is not paranoid; it's the smart thing to recognize that "probable cause" may exist through subjective misinterpretation of the most innocent of circumstances!

Bringing this subject to the attention of someone who may have a dawning interesting in this hobby as a generality allows them to make informed decisions.

You walked on two "visits"; that's good news. However by the second one you should now know that someone, somewhere has some agenda.... If you HONESTLY don't think so; if you honestly think that you had focused interaction with the authorities twice because of "bad luck"; I would be surprised.

But if you have anything that may help others; explore what that is to their benefit AS WELL as understanding WHY you bought it TWO times!
Noise, smell - or someone ratted you. Either way, the AGENDA was incorrect, as you can attest. But to ignore the possibility or incorrect intrusions being both a 4th Amendment issue as well as a serious expense, worry, and public humiliation are something of importance.

The subject is NOT something to be trivialized or discounted. What I posted was not only true, it was a fact of life & life can be very unfair. Recognition of that is not paranoia: it is maturity.
If you disagree: fine.

[Edited on 13-11-2010 by quicksilver]

Magic Muzzlet
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-11-2010 at 10:38

Never said I did not live somewhere that has meth as a problem. The obvious precursors, and I'm sure you knew what I meant... I am talking you have nothing else much more than that which is used to make drugs. Acetic anhydride, nitroethane, mercuric chloride, 2,5-dmb and you know what else can go on. I mean if that's all you have, then it is obvious. I don't mean because you have some acetone....come on you must know what I meant.

The visits I had were from ordering from chemical companies, ordered some touchy stuff, they told me I would need to be listed down. At least I was told, and I am fine with it because I'm no criminal. I think you misunderstood me. I did not mean that it never happens, I'm saying if you aren't doing illegal ***, why the *** should you worry. You make it clear you don't trust people in your community, don't trust mail men, why should they trust you. You shouldn't have something to hide.

Having a "raid" turn into a public humiliation and an expense should only happen if the owner of the lab doesn't comply and gives reason for suspicion, or there is something illegal going on! You know what I have found in life? Generally, people want to be good! Generally, people are good! A cop or agent has a serious matter: A possible drug or explosive lab. Let them in! Show them what your craft is, show them your love for chemistry and don't be all "get a warrant please". The "raid" which was a nice visit by 2 men was nothing but to check if something illegal was going on. It was no problem for me having some company, they were serious but I showed them what I had with a great attitude and they saw I was no problem. No sore spot there, just a testament to how well things can go. Just have to be nice. Same deal with the next one.

So I will give my personal advice that has worked well for me, many would probably disagree. You be open about what you do if someone inquires, and show your passion for the work that you love. You don't be paranoid. There is a difference about being aware of things that can bring attention, and being paranoid. That is basically it. But you know what, everyone has their opinions and way of life, I am only sharing mine and you sharing yours. Can't change peoples thinking but I don't believe you need to state all the possible hiccups that can occur. Try to be optimistic, can it harm anyone? Have a nice day ;):)

[Edited on 13-11-2010 by Magic Muzzlet]
madscientist
National Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 13-11-2010 at 15:49

You can't ever trust the police. Their job is to bust you. The friendly thing is probably an act.

No one has anything to gain by talking to them or letting them in the door. Smile, tell them to have a nice day, and to come back with a warrant next time. You never know what you may unwittingly bring upon yourself otherwise.

I weep at the sight of flaming acetic anhydride.
quicksilver
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-11-2010 at 16:37

Quote: Originally posted by Magic Muzzlet  

The visits I had were from ordering from chemical companies, ordered some touchy stuff, they told me I would need to be listed down. At least I was told, and I am fine with it because I'm no criminal. I think you misunderstood me. I did not mean that it never happens, I'm saying if you aren't doing illegal ***, why the *** should you worry. You make it clear you don't trust people in your community, don't trust mail men, why should they trust you. You shouldn't have something to hide.

Having a "raid" turn into a public humiliation and an expense should only happen if the owner of the lab doesn't comply and gives reason for suspicion, or there is something illegal going on! You know what I have found in life? Generally, people want to be good! Generally, people are good! A cop or agent has a serious matter: A possible drug or explosive lab. Let them in! Show them what your craft is, show them your love for chemistry and don't be all "get a warrant please". The "raid" which was a nice visit by 2 men was nothing but to check if something illegal was going on. It was no problem for me having some company, they were serious but I showed them what I had with a great attitude and they saw I was no problem. No sore spot there, just a testament to how well things can go. Just have to be nice. Same deal with the next one.

So I will give my personal advice that has worked well for me, many would probably disagree. You be open about what you do if someone inquires, and show your passion for the work that you love. You don't be paranoid. There is a difference about being aware of things that can bring attention, and being paranoid. That is basically it. But you know what, everyone has their opinions and way of life, I am only sharing mine and you sharing yours. Can't change peoples thinking but I don't believe you need to state all the possible hiccups that can occur. Try to be optimistic, can it harm anyone? Have a nice day ;):)

What you're saying is logical. And generally I agree that people want to be nice (agreeable, socially gregarious). However we have a discussion here where some people in authority get their "brownie points" by their felony arrests. They may have nothing personally against you as a human being but they have a focus of their interaction and that's to arrest you.

My point (that may well be taken as extreme suspicion) is to protect oneself against the "chalk up another one for my side" attitude of law enforcement.
They actually DON'T CARE that you are a casual fellow making something interesting to entertain yourself intellectually: they want that bust.

My perspective (which obviously differs) is to be on a defensive footing silently-internally. I don't think it's an easy move to "win-over" a law enforcement officer as he is pointedly doing what's in his jobs' best interest.

Further; you had two such mistaken situations. There must have been SOME proponent to further waste the tax payer's money on a hobbyist. That information has multiple value: both to you personally & hobbyists in general.
It MAY have been a company you ordered from OR an individual. Either way you certainly don't want a repeat. So by examining the agenda; your introspection is a positive contribution. By remaining silent; the lessons learned be not be examined to their fullest and lost may be a very powerful bit of information.

I CAN see this from your perspective. I wouldn't want to re-live the issue either but as long as it's up in the air (as it were), you might find that there's a serious issue, person, or action that needs to be avoided.
In the OP's discussion, the "bad rep" MAY have had a causal affect on his harassment.

In additional, you stated: "I'm saying if you aren't doing illegal ***, why the *** should you worry."
Because mistakes obviously DO occur. And those mistakes are costly in several areas of life and social integration. They can be very unfortunate - especially if you are just some fellow enjoying a science hobby. I would are that "worry" is a bit strong, but suspicion and wariness are (again IMO) appropriate.
This is the same train of thought that goes "if I have not broken the law, why should I object to being searched (or stopped), etc"
This is a violation of your 4th Amendment rights and is a slippery slope. There is a Constitutional right to privacy. It have a very deep value.

Please see the attachment on the 4th Amendment and issue such as rights to privacy.

We may disagree on this. However, it's such a disastrous potential, I realistically can't see how it could be easily dismissed.

[Edited on 14-11-2010 by quicksilver]

Attachment: I_Have_Nothing_to_Hide-id998565.pdf (296kB)
This file has been downloaded 704 times

psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 13-11-2010 at 18:36

I have nothing to hide, but I'm not giving you the environment, data, and tools to make stuff up.

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
quicksilver
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-11-2010 at 07:37

I would examine this as well:
Does Law Enforcement ever lie? Even under oath, in Court, as an act of Perjury? Unfortunately I would say, "YES". And I would add that it happens volitionally and subconsciously.
Often in many courts, there is a "team" aspect to the activity and that leads to "winning at all costs". This is an ugly reality of life that has been proven true on many occasions in many nations.

The thrust of this whole topic (IMO) is actually geared to a positive note. The idea is to enjoy a learning experience and not fall victim to misinterpretation. It doesn't have to be infused with "paranoia" or continual fear. But just as many sport activities are demanding of continual awareness and caution, so should areas where there is a legal boundary.

There can be a great deal to learn from the topic & it's related subject matter.

[Edited on 14-11-2010 by quicksilver]

bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-11-2010 at 09:08

If you don't know your local law enforcement, you likely shouldn't take the chance. I actually agree in with Magic Muzzlet's statement 'Generally, people want to be good!' (including police). My interactions with police (over twenty years in Pittsburgh) have given me a pretty positive view of their overall level of professionalism; so while I still keep up on stories about various civil rights horror stories and police abuses, I think they are indeed the exception rather than the rule. And if I were still in Pittsburgh, and some police came and wanted to look around at my lab, sans warrant and just to satisfy themselves , I'd be happy to give them a tour.
But in some place where you don't know the local LEO , why take the chance? If you don't know the character of the local cops, let's say there's a 5% chance they're just itching for the chance to seize your property under flimsy pretexts and supplement their local slush fund with the proceeds. Maybe not likely but the risk is too great. Of course if you're in that sort of area and you're already on their radar you are really at great risk regardless of whether you cooperate or stonewall.
quicksilver
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-11-2010 at 12:52

Realistically I think there is a difference in scope from "wanting to be (or do) good" & the threat of misinterpretation or self-aggrandizement ("I made a felony bust on a drug cook today"). I also don't disagree with Muzzlet's take on things in a general way. But I would see where "wanting to believe" that the leading questions & befriending can get a guy into trouble. And that's a trap that can be avoided.

However; also on a realistic note, if you simply "lawyered-up" & didn't offer shit, you may be in for a time. On the other hand, by talking, you can often dig your own grave via a dishonest official.
Frankly I don't think there's an easy answer to this or one that fits all occasions. There are simply too many variables, both in human nature & what the questioner is after.

Let's say the issue is REALLY harmless: the guy has a home-lab and does serious graduate-level experiments on polymers for his Thesis. The glassware alone is thousands of dollars and could be used for cooking without question. The you throw in some chemicals that could are LISTED (Acetic Anhydride is the classic) and they now have a good case for probable-cause investigation to pull all your (really expensive & important) materials into another lab for analysis for drug residue.

I see two issues here. One is the potential loss of a seriously expensive lab and another is why the HELL did the poor guy get investigated to begin with????

madscientist
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-11-2010 at 16:06

Cops will act professional when they don't think they have something on you. Why would they do otherwise? They want people to trust them. It makes it easier to make busts.

Talk to any decent defense attorney and you'll find that severe interrogations (beatings, death threats, no phone calls, etc.) are common in almost every police force. It's not a few bad apples - most of them participate, and those who don't stay silent and get desk jobs. Lying under oath is, of course, also routine.

You cannot trust them.

In probably 95% of cases, defendants sink themselves by running their mouths. As every defense attorney on the planet will insist, you should have only four words for the authorities: "I want my lawyer."

hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-12-2010 at 16:52

Isnt it possible that would only make you look more suspicious? If you act like you have nothing to hide, perhaps they will be more relaxed about it, as opposed to you demanding a warrent and a laywer. I sure hope my house never gets raided, my neighbors seem to be ok with it though.
psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 10-12-2010 at 22:22

You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't.

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
madscientist
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-12-2010 at 04:46

If they are investigating you, they are already suspicious. If you consent to a search or start talking, be assured that their only thought will be "sucker!" It is not possible to "talk your way out of it." You can only dig yourself deeper.

Defense attorneys are the experts at keeping people out of legal trouble. They speak with authority when they tell you it is of the utmost importance that you remain silent.

hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-12-2010 at 09:29

wow, I believe you, but thats really scary. I sure hope my house is never raided because my lab is outside (great for some things, bad for others) and is right on my neighbors fence. Hes seen me do a few things like run a blast furnace and he might have seen my synth of ether. Though he looked a little confused I was friendly to him and he seemed ok, not like he would be calling th cops anytime soon, but man I want to move inside.
quicksilver
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 07:24

There is a mind-set that despises "being wrong". Somehow "being mistaken means that they are less than efficient, less intelligent, & less effectual than a person who has not made a mistake. To people who think like that, every effort must go into proving themselves correct.
They see the world in black & white, good and evil. While "good and evil" can certainly exists anyone who enjoys the scientific principal, knows there are some shades of gray in both the physical world and emotional interaction.
Often people who feel comfortable with absolutes gravitate toward occupations like law enforcement because the world becomes very clearly defined.

To people like that, they are NOT swayed in their judgment by superficiality; they have something to prove. In their professional arena, they won't even become involved unless they are "correct". And "correct" means that the Prosecutor can win their case in court. Madscientist has it right on the money! (IMO) once the snowball begins to roll; it is destined to take on a larger shape and [social / legal] gravity makes the process unstoppable.

When you ask for a lawyer and do not speak, you are NOT maintaining your Rights. You are now a total adversary. Law Enforcement may superficially make the process of your prosecution more kindly when you speak, but you are simply making their job easier. The job will be done no matter if you speak or not. So why make their agenda easier? They have made up their mind already.

Everyone should take a moment and listen to this law professor and this cop and a "gentile debate", before they go ANY FURTHER. this IS A classic WHICH many HAVE SEEN AND NOW QUOTE AS IT IS RELATIVELY FAMOUS AS A DIALOG ON THE 5TH AMENDMENT.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4097602514885833865...

vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 09:00

It's easy to succumb to the logic (because it really is logic) of talking to the police "because you have nothing to hide".

1) Everybody has something to hide.
2) Innocent people get convicted all the time. It may not be many, but that doesn't matter if it's you.
3) You could be sacrificed for political or professional gain.
4) Somebody may be framing you.

Number 3 & 4 may be unlikely, but they do happen and why risk it?

Let them get a warrant and come back. Then still don't talk to them, have an attorney and document EVERYTHING.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 12:35

I watched the video, he has an excellent point. I hope this makes me more ready in case the cops ever do show up, I think it will. Everyone on here should see it.
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 15:37
" People with nothing to hide have nothing to fear from O.B.I.T "

The classic science fiction television series " The Outer Limits "
episode titled " O.B.I.T. " dramatized the social decay incurred
by 1984 style surveillance , presaging the onset of omnipresent
scrutiny of daily life and behavior.
OBIT acronym for Outer Band Individuated Teletracer

Google , "The Outer Limits" O.B.I.T. , for online viewing links.
On youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSCTnWEb1bU

[Edited on 13-12-2010 by franklyn]
The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-12-2010 at 13:55
Pithy

(Donald J Haarmann) is “Tell the WiZ”
American Fireworks News
Issue 61 October, 1986.

While Big Bruce is involved with troubles of a political kind,
[M-80’s] I thought I'd write a column dealing not with the usual
technical matters, but a pithy one.

There is an insurance crisis? Now, where there is a crisis, there
has to be an explanation (of the political kind), and that is, who are
we going to blame it on?

Well, I blame it on the "liberals". (Those who believe, and you may
quote me, that everyone is responsible for everyone else, but no
one is responsible for themselves. Out.)

That is; whatever happens to you is someone else's fault,
"someone else" being not only individuals, but corporations, the
government, and that all important catch-all, "society". These
people also have a bad habit of turning explanations into excuses,
e.g., poverty and environment may be explanations for crime,
however, they are not excuses. were they excuses, we could
simply license criminals! depending upon poverty level, degree of
presumed depravation and such, you could be a licensed
pickpocket or mass murderer. Liberals also have trouble distin-
guishing people's wants from their needs.

A case in point. The recent post office shootings -- obviously an act
of a person well beyond the end of his rope. However, because this
person could not possibly have been responsible for the dastardly
act, (presumably society failed him in some way) who/what is to
blame? For the obvious (to the liberals) answer, read the New York
City Daily News, wherein an editorial lays the blame on (his) guns.
Now because guns are going around the country killing and
maiming, they most surely should be banned, or so the editorial
says.

Liberal thinking has infected the insurance problem under the
name "strict liability". This doctrine, started in New Jersey, states
simply that: if anyone is injured using a product, the manufacturer
of the product is liable. Period. For example, a few months ago
While cutting a piece of plastic on my Unisaw (the guard not in
[place), I mitered my thumb. (Proving all God's little pyro's
aren't always as careful as they should be, and don't pick a fight
with something that weighs twice as much as you and is a lot
stronger). My immediate reaction was one common to most people
who hit their thumb with a hammer-you hold onto your thumb while
walking around in circles, cursing your stupidity. Under strict
liability the manufacturer of the saw would have been liable.

The interesting part of all this is that obviously not all products can
come under strict liability. Which ones do or do not is up to the
courts. Can't get a product banned by your elected representa-
tives? NO PROBLEM. Just get a judge (any ONE will do) to bring it
under strict liability. It will disappear from the market over night.
Just think of the possibility with fireworks, etc.

A lot of blame for the insurance crisis has been attributed to the
legal profession. A quote and an observation will suffice to provide
my views.

"If a town has one lawyer he will starve to death; if it has two, both
will be rich men."

Anything that keeps a lawyer from making money/more money is
illegal.

Say, whatever happened to "de minimis non cuat lex" (the law does
not concern itself with trifles)? was reading the other day of a
community that passed a noisy lawnmower ordinance regulating
hours of operation and noise output, and such. What ever
happened to "Say Charlie, how about giving me a break with that
lawnmower at 7:30 on Sunday morning"? Sometimes it is
necessary to put up with a little inconvenience to keep what
freedoms we have left.

Laws such as this are examples of the Second Law of Political
Action, subscribed to not only by the "liberals" but the less easy to
define "conservatives": if you have a problem, passing a law will
solve it. Sure! Reagan's famous off-the-cuff remark "I have just
outlawed the Russians" comes to mind.

Common courtesy will go a long way in preventing the proliferation
of laws. There is nothing like the 2:30 a.m. machine gun string or
ground bomb, to drum up votes for more restrictive fireworks legis-
lation. (I know that ground bombs are already illegal, however, be-
cause making them illegal did not work they want to make the
illegal more illegal!)

The Press. Not long ago the editor's job was to separate the BS
from the news and to keep editorializing to a minimum. However,
now that TV news programs run an hour and a half or longer
regardless of what has NOT happened, the BS level has increased
exponentially. Further, to increase the number of viewers/readers,
each story (sorry, "news item") has to be bigger and more
attention getting then the last (a fact quickly picked up on by the
politicians). The result has been: "enough fireworks to blow up the
house / square block / 2 times n2 city blocks; the M80 that equaled
1/4, 1/2, one, two or more sticks of dynamite; the $200,000 worth of
Class C in a garage (so cleverly hidden, a bomb-sniffing dog was
needed to find it) and the 50 pounds of dangerous "bomb making
chemicals" seized (including a bag of charcoal, and 10 pounds of
kitty-litter). At least the current "crack crisis" has gotten the media
mind off fireworks. I just hope the hype continues until after the
next 4th.

Speaking of crack or whatever else is hot by the time this is pub-
lished, we do not need a national police force. The current hoopla
over crack (if last week's bust was 10 mil, you know this week's has
to be 12 mil, or it wouldn't make the 6 o'clock news) has resulted in
the call for the Armed Forces to be used to perform police
functions. I call this the Pandora's Box/Banana Republic solution.
Ask a visitor from almost any South American country for details.

File it under "lies, damned lies, and statistics", numbers intended
only to generate stories so politicians can get their faces on the
evening news, e.g., they gave officer Smith a list of 15 suspects to
arrest: five littering, five overdue library books, four jay walking,
and one a heavily armed and extremely dangerous felon. Officer
Smith made 14 arrests in one week! (Guess which ones.) The
number of arrests looked might good on the evening news.

Jeff-Cooper.jpg - 393kB
The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-12-2010 at 14:10
"Equipped to"

You know what comes up all the time ...
The defendant was equipped to — make bombs/
fireworks/poisons gases/weapons of mass destruction/&c.

My standard reply to they who proffer such - you/your
daughter/mother are equipped to be whores.

What does that prove?!

Substituting Mother Theresa depending on the circumstances would
be a wise thing to do! As my lawyer said to me years ago —
Detective offices are on the second floor of the precinct -
you would be surprised at the numbers of defendants that fall
down the stairs.

Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top