Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Tutorial for making a miniature chlorate cell
cyanureeves
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-9-2011 at 18:53

i understand now why titanium is used for anode. as the mmo wears away,the titanium is exposed and titanium passivates when used as anode so it does not conduct and therefore wont erode leaving only the mmo coating as conductior. this came to me as i was thinking of using the platinum coated discs from my apple g3. any scratch on the disc will just give way to almost instant erosion, if it is even platinum.(damn freakin space bar on my apple keypad sticks like crazy)

[Edited on 27-9-2011 by cyanureeves]
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 27-9-2011 at 08:14

My cell is going good but i think I will attemp Calcium chlorate cell soon , Dan2 does your anode made from tin/antimony solder make residu in the solution ?

I will probaly make KClO3 but the kclo3 source I found cost my 7$ for 312g so it is a little to high.

I never asked for this.
dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-9-2011 at 10:20

The Tin Oxide Anode does not leave any residue but it appears to be no good at making anything even though it lasts a long time.

Dann2
ryan0713
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-9-2011 at 15:00

I liked the article. I might try it.
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-9-2011 at 16:07

plante i am using hi-yield brand muriate of potash. it is dirty as hell with some red clay stuff but i have made chlorate with it before. you just have to filter it and you get more than three pounds of it for your 7 dollars. something is wrong with my 5volt output wire because it gets too hot too quick and too bad because as it gets hot and starts bubbling i can see it making instant chlorate plumes.i got one mean,mean,nasty punch out of the wet anode when i had it on 5volts.

[Edited on 28-9-2011 by cyanureeves]
m1tanker78
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-9-2011 at 16:20

Quote: Originally posted by plante1999  
My cell is going good but i think I will attemp Calcium chlorate cell soon

How will you deal with the calcium hydroxide buildup on the cathode?

Tank
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-9-2011 at 16:31

how about using ice melting salt?some have potassium chloride,sodium chloride,calcium chloride and urea.
plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-9-2011 at 07:57

Quote: Originally posted by m1tanker78  
Quote: Originally posted by plante1999  
My cell is going good but i think I will attemp Calcium chlorate cell soon

How will you deal with the calcium hydroxide buildup on the cathode?

Tank

I will scrap it of in the solution time to time .

When y go see my cell it was realy acidic and a lot of crust was on the cathode....?

I never asked for this.
plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-9-2011 at 08:08

I just started a KCl to KClO3 cell. Dan 2 : Why it does not make anything?

I never asked for this.
Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-10-2011 at 18:20

Im sorry if its a bit of a change of subject but this forum post is on chlorates so i though i could quickly ask this...

What type of Oxidizing agent should be used to oxidize Calcium Chloride to Calcium Chlorate?

cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-10-2011 at 05:55

ChemistryAlchemist isnt voltage what does that or is it amperage? speaking of amperage(ha ha), is amperage what makes my chlorate cell melt the epoxy and cap? i am running of a computer power supply and have to use the 3 volt lead because the 5 volts will just get too hot after 2hrs. my electrodes are about 1/2 inch apart. 3 volts is just too slow. i would like to run at 5volts but want to know if there is a way to drop the amperage on my 5 volt leads? arent there inline amperage lowering thingamajiggers that can be added?my other cell is doing better with an old 6volt 250ma charger.somewhere i saw that a person used a car battery charger with a nichrome heating element coil to reduce voltage. if one lowers voltage with a nichrome wire,wont amperage drop too?

[Edited on 2-10-2011 by cyanureeves]
Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-10-2011 at 06:43

On the wiki page it said that you can use a oxidizing agent...

"It can be formed by oxidation of calcium chloride by a strong oxidizing agent."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_chlorate

m1tanker78
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-10-2011 at 17:23

Quote: Originally posted by cyanureeves  
[...]arent there inline amperage lowering thingamajiggers that can be added?my other cell is doing better with an old 6volt 250ma charger.somewhere i saw that a person used a car battery charger with a nichrome heating element coil to reduce voltage. if one lowers voltage with a nichrome wire,wont amperage drop too?

Reeves, you can try adding some more space between the electrodes first. If that isn't an option, why don't you build another cell and connect it in parallel?

Nichrome wire - any resistance, really - will dissipate (waste) some energy as heat. You might as well put it to good use by adding another cell in parallel, IMO.

Tank

cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-10-2011 at 18:14

ooh! thank you tank. you are certainly correct about the waste and i just happen to build another cell.parallel would be jumping from the neg in #1 cell to neg in #2 cell with a jumper wire and likewise pos to pos? i never would have thought of doing that even though i now recall reading your post on a similar matter before. series would be neg from#1 cell to pos in #2 and neg in #2 cell to pos in#1 cell ?
Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-10-2011 at 02:41

I just saw a video on youtube about making a 250ml solution of water with 90 grams of iodized salt and placing a 9 volt battery in the solution and leaving it... it produces Sodium Chlorate... is this true? i know its made by electrolysis but can this method be true? Is it a safe method of making it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AokqCrFqLWs

Steve_hi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-10-2011 at 03:11

I guess the best way to find out is try it it's pretty simple i'm going to do it when I get back I like your you tube on producing Naoh by electrolysis
Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-10-2011 at 03:48

Yeah i guess i could check it out, no harm in trying i guess... can you over electrolysis it... if u know what i mean... yeah thanks for checking it out :)

ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 14-10-2011 at 05:15

I might be wrong as it is decades since I did any electrochemistry but;

According to this a 9V battery is good for about 300 to 600 mAh

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/522.pdf

Let us assume that it is 600mAh ( best case scenario )

Then it will produce 2160 Coulombs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAh

Using Faraday's 1st law

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday%27s_law_of_electrolysis

I make it that the best case yield is 0.79g of chlorine or 11 millimoles of molecular chlorine!

It requires 3 moles of chlorine to make 1 mole of sodium perchlorate so assuming 100% yield we would end up with around 1.17g.
nomcopter
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-8-2023 at 21:20

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  

I made a very small 100 ml cell, which allows one to make 30 grams of KClO3 per day and which can be operated from a simple fixed 5 volt power supply, which only needs to be capable of delivering 5A (the cell itself takes only 3 to 4 A, but using a 5 A power supply gives some headroom and allows for tolerances in construction of the cell). Cost of the cell only is $30, excluding the power supply.

Love the tutorial - and have had good success making one with a platinized titanium anode and a titanium cathode I made by bending a 12 gauge titanium wire into a nice mesh. Why is it so important to remove the crystals with a plastic spoon? Are you worried about contaminating the product with metals (a fuel) and that leading to a fire risk? Aren't they already contaminated with a fuel from electrode corrosion?

Started the recryst of my first batch, used 1.6mol of potassium chloride in a 250mL schott duran bottle and did 50 hours at 8A. This should have left ~80g/L of chloride left according to https://www.chlorates.exrockets.com/table54.html assuming 54% current efficiency. But all the chunks didn't dissolve until I'd boiled it in more than a liter of water and boiling it in 1.5L still wasn't enough to make it a clear solution - it was still quite turbid and overall white. Theoretically 1.6mol of potassium chlorate should dissolve in ~370mL of water. I can't imagine I have _that_ much perchlorate production. Perhaps it is titanium dioxide contamination from corrosion of my cathode..?

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 8-8-2023 at 23:11

The liquid is quite corrosive, and if you scrape the crystals out of the container with a metal spoon, then this might damage the metal spoon. It adds additional impurities to the KClO3, and it spoils the spoon. No need to worry about adding fuel in the form of metal ions, but adding additional impurities never is a good thing, hence the use of a plastic spoon.

If the liquid remains turbid, even at quite high dilution, then I'm quite sure that you have some contaminant in your solution. It might be TiO2 from one of the electrodes, it also could come from the KCl you used. Sometimes, anti-caking agent is added to KCl, which is intended to be used as salt-replacement. There also is KCl, intended to be used for melting snow on roads. This is used in places, where NaCl is too harmful for plants. Such KCl, however, is impure and may contain MgCl2 or CaCl2.
I would just let all of the solid matter settle at the bottom and decant the clear liquid from it. The clear liquid then can be worked up for the KClO3.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
nomcopter
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-8-2023 at 23:36

Aha you are totally right - it's tricalcium phosphate listed right on the bag as an anti caking agent. My electrodes looked pretty untouched I was shocked at the volume of white fluff. Well at least hot-filtering/decanting is a lot easier when it is super diluted and then I can boil off the excess. Thanks for the tip! Love your home science website - great explanations I've used it a lot for reference and to come up with fun ideas.

One change I recommend to your procedure is to make the holes in the cap by heating the tips of the electrodes with a blowtorch and then melting it through. Ends up making a hole that is a perfect fit and is less dodgy than with a knife.

[Edited on 2023-8-9 by nomcopter]

Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
12-9-2023 at 11:49
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top