Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Quantitative and Qualitative Test for Fullerated Amines
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 24-2-2019 at 13:17
Quantitative and Qualitative Test for Fullerated Amines

For the last few months I have been doing a research project on modifying buckminsterfullerenes to terminate in various amines. So far I think I have prepared two adducts of benzylamine and phenyl propylamine, with C60.

I have several milligrams of each to work with.

They are very soluble in non-polar solvents such as chloroform.

They absorb large amounts of UV and visible light, and form red solutions.

They may not react with ninhydrin due to either decomposition at elevated temperatures or steric hindrance.

The material is somewhat heat sensitive. For example it will not withstand 60 C for 24 hours. It is stable at room temperatures or mild temperatures for short periods of time.

What test would you recommend for quantifying the number of amines added, or if amines are present? I have access to spectrophotometers, most reagents common in a professional laboratory, and other common equitment. I can not use fluorescamine because I dont have the correct spec to do the assay.

I have also already ruled out potassium permanginate as C60 will react with it to form fullerols.

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-2-2019 at 04:15

Quote: Originally posted by VSEPR_VOID  
For the last few months I have been doing a research project on modifying buckminsterfullerenes to terminate in various amines. So far I think I have prepared two adducts of benzylamine and phenyl propylamine, with C60.

I have several milligrams of each to work with.

HPLC-MS?
Possibly also after derivatisation to clear any ambiguities (e.g., with 2,4-dinitrofluorobenzene or acid anhydrides).
Any other method will be wasteful on material and rather inconclusive.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 26-2-2019 at 19:34

HPLC-MS is out of the question sadly, none at the lab. I already tried MALDI and had no results.

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked

Go To Top