Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: HMTD safety
Somniferrous
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-2-2011 at 23:01

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  
FLchem10 had a disquieting experience with HMTD.
You might want to scroll down and read his thread.
IMO, the safest synthesis for HMTD is the one in COPAE.

There is a potential problem with the COPAE synth in that during the warming phase (just after the 3 hour 0c mixing phase) one can get frothing and/or a minor eruption as it comes to room temp that makes a mess and deposits acidic hmtd where you probably don't want it.

I have been able to prevent it by adding more H2O to the initial solution. This suggests that the frothing/eruption problem is likely due to use of more concentrated H2O2 solutions and that the reaction continues long after the 3 hour 0c mixing period.

I have also found that allowing the solution to stand for a while ("a while" = 6 to 24 hours) after warming to room temp increases yield somewhat.

Good luck and stay safe. Make only as much as you need so that you won't have to store it and worry about that.

James
FLchem10
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-2-2011 at 11:53

To all thinking of making HMTD You must be careful when you use citric because it seems to have a tendency to not completely dissolve when making it the amateur way ( Which I dont recommend at all ) I did have a very bad experience with ONE of my HMTD experiences BUT things happen when you mess with EM's not using the right processes and equipment so for all the people making this in a home lab that is very poor NOT to be down on home labs some home labs are better than real labs Ive been in!! but if your making this stuff in you kitchen with materials bought from wal-mart dont make HMTD there are so many other things to make and please spend your money getting the right equipment before you rush into making chemicals!!

But good luck to all I have made HMTD a good amount of time that turned out just fine bu make a small amount and when drying it be very careful where you store it because it might just.....well you know
odin14
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-11-2014 at 10:33

I need some help detonating my HTMD caps, I packed some HMTD into some 5.56 casings and lit the fuse and it did not explode. Can someone help me please, I made a thread about it but it got deleted...
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 30-11-2014 at 11:01

Quote: Originally posted by odin14  
I need some help detonating my HTMD caps, I packed some HMTD into some 5.56 casings and lit the fuse and it did not explode. Can someone help me please, I made a thread about it but it got deleted...

It is not deleted. It is in "Detritus"

Read the forum FAQ.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

odin14
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-11-2014 at 11:06

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
Quote: Originally posted by odin14  

It is not deleted. It is in "Detritus"

Read the forum FAQ.

Thank you Bert, and thank you for the concern, I am sorry to worry you like that I should have mentioned that I had already insulated the HMTD from the metal. I use wax and straws. Because it not only insulates from the metal but helps prevent accidental detonation due to an electric shock.
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 30-11-2014 at 11:34
tube for HMTD

Plast tube for HMTD iniciator konstruction about 200mg content. Hand pressed. Rezistor 1,5 ohm/ 0,6W metalic. LL

1R5.jpg - 44kB

stretch tube.jpg - 267kB

[Edited on 30-11-2014 by Laboratory of Liptakov]
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-1-2023 at 20:32

The detriments of HMTD are:
1) crystal morphology dependent sensitivity
2) slow decomposition >40 C in open moist conditions
3) highly sensitive relative to some other primary explosives
4) corrodes metals under moisture, acids / metal ions decomp HMTD
5) low decomposition temp 75 C

Accolades of HMTD may be:
1) simple preparation scheme, relative to other primary explosives
2) storable long term, in dry air, or under dry, select conditions
3) high performance primary explosive character
4) high flame sensitivity, suitable for thermal initiation
5) compatible with many organic materials
6) non hygroscopic
7) practically insoluble in water / organic solvents
8) compatible with basic aq. solutions (NH3, CO3/HCO3)

PTFE doped primaries typically decrease in mechanical sensitivity by a factor of twenty, doped by around 2-5%. Something like that could easily take care of mechanical sensitivity. Decomposition issues wouldnt be solved entirely by PTFE but a polymer binder could solve mechanical sensitivities and decomposition issues other than perhaps direct UV exposure (which is a non issue in detonators. A binded pellet could prevent reaction with materials. For instance a homogenous HMTD polymer bound pellet inside a length of straw with NC seal on both ends.
Has anyone attempted to pelletize HMTD using nitrocellulose or chlorinated rubber or VAAR binder? Parlon can be worked with acetone as solvent and in pyrotechnics it makes hard, near water-proof loads. Surely this has been tried with HMTD by someone before?
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-1-2023 at 02:15

Hey buddy, how do coat something with 2-5 percent PTFE… don’t you need a fluro
solvent?
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-1-2023 at 08:13

As far as I know, PTFE powder is so small and sticks to everything that it only requires handmixing, 2-5% by weight. It's not soluble so you can mix it with a volitile solvent by hand and it coats pretty well. --There is a paper I was thinking back to of a sensitive nitrate ester from NM + Glyoxal
doi: 10.1002/prep.201000133

"For safety reasons, the impact and friction sensitivity was
tested according to BAM methods. Compound 3 is sensitive
to both of the stimuli (approx. 2 J and 50 N, respectively),
but the values are within the normal range of sensitivity of nitrate esters.
Because of high sensitivity to friction and impact, the explosive
must be tranquilized before pressing into pellets. Therefore, a composition containing 95% of compound 3 and 5% of Teflon was prepared using a slurry method. Afterwards, the sensitivity to impact and friction was reduced
to approx. 15 J and 160 N, respectively. The composition was pressed into mechanically durable pellets with density of ca. 1.82 gcm"

In this example case 2 J to 15 J and 50-150 N isnt 20x reduction but it is significantly reduced sensitivity. Other compounds are reduced in impact and friction with PTFE even more than this. I assume some differences arise from the crystal shape/volume vs the PTFE shape/volume. But it seems to pretty universally tame mechanical sensitivity. I bought PTFE powder on ebay for around $20 per kilo IIRC a few years ago. I got it for PTFE thermites, but found out it works better than anything else for phlegmatizing.
I could try it after I finish some other stuff Im already working on. I figured someone must have tried HMTD with binder or something. It seems like a logical extension.

[Edited on 4-1-2023 by Hey Buddy]
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-1-2023 at 12:01

Flegmatisation of sensitive primary is further manipulation with sensitive primary. Of course, is it possible. If someone used HMTD, used him with minimal manipulation steps. And usually with low density.

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-1-2023 at 19:04

Quote: Originally posted by Laboratory of Liptakov  
Flegmatisation of sensitive primary is further manipulation with sensitive primary. Of course, is it possible. If someone used HMTD, used him with minimal manipulation steps. And usually with low density.

okay, twst my arm. I'll try it.
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-1-2023 at 20:46

I have found 5 percent PTFE increases the sensitivity in some mixes like flash powder. An actual spherical coating would be better. It is possible, I wanted to do a patent on it…. So I haven’t mentioned it. But I think there was already a paper published on it last year.

You will find the particle size of the PTFE to be crucial. I tried moly disulfide several years ago and it added a red phosphorus like sensitivity to detonating flash powder mixes. If the PTFE is nano I predict it will increase sensitivity.
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-1-2023 at 21:15

PTFE is a strange bird because the fluorine and carbon can either act as an oxidizer or a fuel depending on what it's added to. For metal containing comps it is usually oxidizing to gaseous fluorinated species. The main advantage of PTFE is its low reactivity and high melting point which tends to thermally stabilize pyrotechnic mixes. Ive tried to use it as a stabilizer in NPED mixes like NQ+ClO3 but it actually stabilizes it to the point of being non-explosive, whether calculated as oxidizer or fuel. With metal compositions I believe fluorine from PTFE is faster than oxygen derived oxidation so it is usually pretty intense, but the activation energy in terms of temp is usually floating around mp of PTFE >320 C, unless using a really low melting point ingredient, (which HMTD is). I have no clue what it would do with HMTD. I suspect it would tranquilize mechanical sensitivity a bit. Without experimenting, and just guessing out of my buttocks, I think parlon binder matrix via acetone would be better suited to HMTD than simple PTFE mix. Assuming it doesnt dilute the HMTD to becoming non explosive. Ambient HMTD decomposition could be theoretically stopped by appropriate binder, and it would eliminate moisture which seems to catalyze decomp of HMTD in practically all instances, from what I have read. If parlon worked the same manor as other comps with HMTD, it would be like putting it in an airtight container. For HMTD that promotes stability. It could be that because HMTD isso simple to produce, the effort of a binder isnt even sought after, perhaps its notorious sensitivity and unpredictability is related to its low effort, open air low density use.
Raid
Hazard to Everyone

Mood: School

[*] posted on 6-1-2023 at 06:31

when you're making any organic peroxides make sure to clean them VERY well. the more you wash them the more stable they are.
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-1-2023 at 08:53

I'm assuming you mean washing the crystals free of surface acid using an insoluble wash, like water or alcohol? --That reminds me to ask, I'm seeing no recrystallization in references to HMTD. Is that accurate? Are people making HMTD and not attempting recrystallizing at all generally?
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2023 at 16:40

Recrystallizing and neutralisation HMTD is interesting idea. But how type of solvent should be use...?

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-1-2023 at 23:49

Recrystallizing and neutralisation HMTD is interesting idea. But how type of solvent should be use...?

I take that as a "no".--I have no idea what HMTD would be soluble in. I've never made it so I have no familiarity with it. Ive watched darian ballards videos. It's been a while but IIRC he's not doing any purification or washing in his HMTD videos. I havent read about recrystallization in any of the literature Ive read. Perhaps the question is silly because its a peroxide, and no one does that, but it does use an acid. Citric acid is the most interesting method because it is so OTC. I supposed that acid could be trapped in the crystals. Probably very likely if no recrystallization. Acid contact is known to catalyze decomposition in HMTD according to lit, so perhaps the instances of random high sensitivity are related to moisture and acid? I dont know, just taking a guess.

I think if something like HMTD could be controlled predictably it would be really neato.

[Edited on 7-1-2023 by Hey Buddy]
ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2023 at 18:34

Quote: Originally posted by Hey Buddy  

I take that as a "no".--I have no idea what HMTD would be soluble in. I've never made it so I have no familiarity with it. Ive watched darian ballards videos. It's been a while but IIRC he's not doing any purification or washing in his HMTD videos. I havent read about recrystallization in any of the literature Ive read. Perhaps the question is silly because its a peroxide, and no one does that, but it does use an acid. Citric acid is the most interesting method because it is so OTC. I supposed that acid could be trapped in the crystals. Probably very likely if no recrystallization. Acid contact is known to catalyze decomposition in HMTD according to lit, so perhaps the instances of random high sensitivity are related to moisture and acid? I dont know, just taking a guess.

I think if something like HMTD could be controlled predictably it would be really neato.

[Edited on 7-1-2023 by Hey Buddy]

I also watched Darian Ballard's video on it, and his one on TATP and MEKP even though I have no interest in making any peroxide based explosive. They're far too unstable and sensitive for me to even dream of making any.

HMTD and TATP aren't recent discoveries. They've been around since 1885 and 1895 respectively. They actually did make blasting caps with HTMD originally, but its well known stability issues quickly made it an unsuitable replacement for mercury fulminate.

I think that if it had any potential it would have been discovered by now, but testing has been done historically. I mean the recipe that is on the wiki and so many other places all come from the 1943 book Chemistry of Explosives and Powders that we all know They made more tests for it there.
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-1-2023 at 20:03

That's true. I was thinking of the relatively recent emergence of HMTD in terrorist incidents and subsequent studies since then. I also have been reading up on it more and I do find it interesting but I just dont like what I'm reading. I think I will have to reconsider and pass. Perhaps I will just undertake a small familiarization synthesis to make a few parlon/hmtd 4mm pellets. store one test others. Just for the interest.
ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2023 at 20:52

Quote: Originally posted by Hey Buddy  
That's true. I was thinking of the relatively recent emergence of HMTD in terrorist incidents and subsequent studies since then. I also have been reading up on it more and I do find it interesting but I just dont like what I'm reading. I think I will have to reconsider and pass. Perhaps I will just undertake a small familiarization synthesis to make a few parlon/hmtd 4mm pellets. store one test others. Just for the interest.

The relatively recent use of peroxide based explosives in terrorism is a result of several factors.

Firstly, explosives control around the world has gotten a lot tighter. Once upon a time people stealing a whole bunch of TNT or dynamite and boxes full of detonators wasn't uncommon. I think in the 1990s several tons of the stuff were stolen in the US alone.

Legal restrictions on things like detonators also went up. I think that blasting caps aren't weren't as control as the secondaries that need them. And even if you stole a whole pile of dynamite, it's useless unless you have proper detonators for them. Making reliable detonators is hard, and peroxide based stuff is the easiest to manufacture and the ingredients aren't restricted in many parts of the world. Until the 2020 European chemical controls getting most of the stuff was a sinch.

The other thing is that the terrorist organizations that use them, especially Islamist groups in Europe, don't have the networks to get actual high explosives needed. The IRA did far more bombings than Islamists ever did (and probably ever will do) but they didn't resort to dangerous to make and use peroxides. They were able to get tons of Semtex that many IRA cells that still exist probably have well hidden in case some political chaos starts to happen again.

Finally... explosives detection equipment wasn't able to detect peroxide based energetics until around 2015 or so. This is because most explosives sniffers and detection equipment were originally made for nitrogen based stuff, which is almost all explosives, but stuff like TATP has no nitrogen in its structure, that makes it undetectable. This has been rectified, thankfully.
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-1-2023 at 21:45

Well, I mean that Im convinced peroxides and HMTD specifically are under-investigated, and not well understood. They have quite a stigma of being AD-prone. Most of the recent investigation is well, recent interest.-- As for explosive detection, that's a whole separate tangent, I really shouldnt get started on, but most of that stuff is contract-award non-sense. I dont want to get into specifics but I'm aware that explosives are not detected by conventional explosive detection systems. I would have to guess that perhaps there have been actual situations where explosives have been detected, (only because I cant imagine how they would remain in use if they never functioned), but a majority of the time, explosives are very difficult to detect and explosives go through things like airports and postal service etc. quite often and are not detected. They are definitely more often not detected than detected by a lot. I have no confidence whatsoever in digital explosive detection, chemical detection works, imaging detection of conspicuous devices works if someone is paying attention, explosive detection dogs can* work, if trained on actual explosives. Most of the real time digital detection stuff is just a company filling a governments need to check a box and show they spent money on it. Nothing more. Ive seen government employees forget explosives in their cargo and not realize it until they are in unloading their stuff. The idea that explosives can be detected en masse of the worlds populations is a "feel good" non-reality.

[Edited on 9-1-2023 by Hey Buddy]
ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2023 at 22:35

That story about people 'forgetting' explosives is just... terrifying. I know complacency can set in on anything. But this is stupid. Stupider than police who forget their guns somewhere, like in Canada in 2006 when some cop took off his gun belt to use the toilet and 'forgot' it. It was recovered several years later at the site of a shooting that resulted in several deaths...

But wouldn't the digital explosive detection use some kind of chemical detection? How does it work?

Early forms of explosives detectors until 2000 couldn't detect semtex. I heard that it is only because of the taggants that the manufacturer added to their newer batches, but earlier batches made prior to 1990 (of which there are probably quite a few tons of around the world, not just in the IRA's inventory) might still be difficult to detect.
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-1-2023 at 00:30

Quote: Originally posted by ManyInterests  

But wouldn't the digital explosive detection use some kind of chemical detection? How does it work?

Yes they use digital sensors, and most of the IP is "protected" or "sensitive technology" meaning that it cant legally be independently validated. Or you will often see "tests" regularly scheduled to validate a certain detection device, and the test will have "standards" but the standards arent applicable to the real world, they are only applicable to controlled tests, merely so a contractor can check a box saying "yes we tested this and it works correctly." In war time, I once witnessed fly-by-night international contracting companies selling boxes to the local national military as "Explosive detection devices". Simple box devices used to search for explosives at checkpoints. The USA in this case, provided funding to the host government, and they buy these things from large companies that pop up. The host military would have problems with the technology on the ground, errors, problems understanding the use of the equipment etc. Then theyd bring it to US military to troubleshoot. Well the problem was the devices were basically non-sense LED microprocessor driven randomly flashing whiz-bangs and they didnt detect anything at all, nor could it be determined what they actually were designed to do. Im not saying it's *that* egregious at the TSA, but it's basically the same principle on a more subtle, large scale.

The taggants are sometimes reported to be added for the purpose of detection, but the ultimate purpose is simply to trace explosives after they are found like in cases of stolen explosives. Explosives are stolen or misplaced everywhere, all over the world, all the time. Everything from people maliciously stealing all the way to forgetting explosives or administrative peculiarity stuff. For example, in the US military, the record standards are stringent with explosive drawing. Explosives have to be drawn based on a need of use, they cant really be returned once drawn, they all have to be detonated or destroyed. Munitions turned back in can be damaged or unserviceable and could cause detonation of bulk storage, so it is common practice, the explosives only go one way, out. It becomes an issue of balancing demolition draw by the real world need versus the paperwork "need", which is usually predrafted, standardized, then signed, by the ammo supply point and receiving command etc. Sometimes you dont draw enough and cant complete the actual mission and dont have the option to draw again (if its a weekend or holiday or middle of the night or something). That can lead to big problems for soldiers getting disciplined for some failure. So what happens? It is standard practice to over-draw by ~5-10% then stash the extra and cycle it out each new draw cycle. This practice in the military dates back to I dont know when, but at least vietnam if not WW2 or WW1. So pretty much at every military base I know of, and Ive seen it in multiple continents, you randomly find equipment sheds, janitor closets, connexes or vehicles with unaccounted explosives. It probably occurs in every country with a military --Im not saying it's necessarily wrong for them to do that, Im just saying you would never read about it in a military manual but it is standard practice.

Things happen, people forget about the stash, people draw a stash one draw but not the next, then forget, people get reassigned bases or deployed in wartime. Explosives get abandoned, or people in the unit know about where the stash is and steal it. Point is, there are exposives out there everywhere. In war zones, the situation is an order of magnitude worse, ie. missing cargo trucks. They put taggants in explosives so they can track the dissemination of undocumented explosives and isolate trouble areas. Because the largest manufacturers and customers of explosives also have the largest losses.

EDIT: also I should point out while Im on a rant: it is a plain and simple fact that legally authorized manufacturers and transporters of explosives are responsible for the overwhelming numbers of civilian deaths that have been caused by explosives. The number of civilians killed by accidental detonation of explosives by "authorized" authorities vastly and grossly outweighs any and all instances combined, to a massive degree, of all historical malicious terrorist-killings of civilians.

Im not apologizing for terrorists, Im just saying the loss of a life is a loss of a life, whether a terrorist killed them or a government.

Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-1-2023 at 12:36

I think the taggant was added by a Czech manufacturer to distinguish it from other manufacturers (Lybia!) that didnt care much where their product ended.
PETN seems to be otherwise quite easy to detect nowadays anyway.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-1-2023 at 14:02

Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  

PETN seems to be otherwise quite easy to detect nowadays anyway.

If you say so.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top