Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Frightning chemicals on ebay
majortom
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-9-2010 at 18:10
Frightning chemicals on ebay

I have been working on getting paraformaldehyde, I don't really want to work with the fish tank solution. I checked on ebay and got two sources. One is a lot cheaper, purity is not specified, but I don't think that it is much of an issue as most impurities would be left behind upon monomerization. I was quite happy untill I saw the other reagents he was selling.

3,4-dimethoxy benzaldehyde
vanillin ethyl ether
methylenedioxy-methylhydrocinnamic aldehyde
melatonin
phthalic anhydride
p-methoxy benzaldehyde
p-methyl benzaldehyde
3-methoxy-4-ethoxy benzaldehyde
cinnamaldehyde
tryptophan
plus a few other more innocuous chemicals

:o

Wow. I am usually not one to say this, but what is this guy thinking? Of course he doesn't go into specifics on his location, but all of these reagents are ridiculously cheap like 25 grams for $10 cheap. I am scared to even go near this guys innocuous items. It seems a little bit too suspicious to be real. I would never buy something like that, (I assume if you bought anything from him it looks bad by proxy) but I suppose I am posting this because it seems so ludicrous!

Has anyone seen anything like this before, It just amazes me that its on ebay! Why would anyone buy them?

[Edited on 30-9-2010 by majortom]
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-9-2010 at 18:19

i have seen diethylamine and diethylamineHCl for sale on ebay...looks like a sting to me. probably trying to see who is dumb enough to buy controlled chemicals without going through proper channels so they can make some easy busts.

zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 29-9-2010 at 18:41

Nothing on that list is illegal to buy, possess or sell. Nor, is a permit required.

The 3,4-Methylenedioxy-Methylhydrocinnamaldehyde, ain't illegal.....But, it's pretty damn suspicious.

If you have nothing to hide, take your chances.

To sell diethylamine or any list 1 chemical, requires a license. Whosoever has such a license, must record and report their sales of listed chemicals. A "suspicious" request must be reported pronto.

Keep in mind, that suspicion is in the eye of the beholder.
Magic Muzzlet
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-9-2010 at 19:16

Had experience with this source.
I really only see a problem with the methylenedioxy-methylhydrocinnamic aldehyde, but so what, just dont get it. Everything else is so common with the exception of the pure vanillin, ethyl vanillin etc. and I seriously doubt problems arising from ordering those...

They are obviously geared towards flavoring and scents. Plus some general lab chems. Just look at what other people are selling, borohydride, 3,4,5-TMBA, phosphorous acid and iodine. This source stands apart and look genuine to me. If they arent then I guess problems will be coming my way.

I say take advantage of the relatively good prices. But what do I know? :P
Chainhit222
Hazard to Others

Mood: grignard failing to start

[*] posted on 30-9-2010 at 02:39

You are safe unless the vendor gets popped and is forced to give his manifest to the authorities :)

The practice of storing bottles of milk or beer in laboratory refrigerators is to be strongly condemned encouraged
-Vogels Textbook of Practical Organic Chemistry
Synthettek
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-9-2010 at 03:40

I've successfully purchased from this vendor, 2 seperate items, one of them being 2 units of his paraformaldehyde. they are legit, friendly and have good communication. I wouldn't worry.
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 30-9-2010 at 06:26

I have used that seller and everything was great. He was very honest and had good communication when there was a delay.

No shipping of paraformaldehyde to Canada >: (

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
overunity33
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-9-2010 at 10:44

Saw a vendor on ebay selling Diethylamine hcl, Sodium Borohydride, h3po3, Propionyl Chloride. Supposedly in BC, canada. I emailed him and his response was emailed from a dedicated server company in Chicago, IL according to the header IP address. Not a good sign...
majortom
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-9-2010 at 13:54

Of course it can just be billed off as a fragrance company, but how do you explain the notable lack of fragrance chemicals that can't be used for 'other' purposes? No ethylacetate, acetophenone, or the like? Of course the jurors don't know squat about that, as in the case of the experimenter who "accidentaly" made MDMA as a byproduct of some other reaction, and got aquited. I'm not interested in doing any sort of questionable chemistry, but I think that if you just bought paraformaldehyde and you have a record of buying vigreux columns, three knocked flanks and cold fingers that might raise a few eyebrows even so, of course if you ordered the methylenedioxy stuff and had a history of buying perfume bottles and ethyl agitate you'd be fine.

I'm not cheering for the dea or anything, I hate them for how they have killed chemistry with extensive watchlists (seriously, ethanol acetone and dilute hcl are on there) I think people should be able to do whatever they want with their bodies, but It just seems like it shoots of a giant red flag to the DEA.

I think diethylamine and phosphorus acid are actually more likely to be used for something not illicit than propenylbenzene.
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-9-2010 at 15:46

@overunity33 that does indeed sound suspicious about the i.p. addy. not to be paranoid but you know the powers that be go fishing for the poor souls who don't know any better. we've all seen the horror story articles.

anotheronebitesthedust
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-9-2010 at 23:59

The I.P. address was probably in Chicago because I always use Tor when responding to suspicious bait emails; whether they're from the DEA, the RCMP, or Sciencemadness internet sleuths.
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 1-10-2010 at 21:52

I entirely agree with Zed, even if it's THE POLICE on the other end, they're not going to give two shits if you're using it for something entirely innocuous.

People into all that photography, fragrance and soap stuff as they churn out drugs for the $$$ / POWA / kewlz are seriously misleading themselves. It wouldn't cut it with me, let alone a judge. For a start, it's certainly not in the spirit of things. The judges in the UK are certainly bothered about the spirit of things over the things on paper.

I'm considering actually asking the police round and getting a VAT code so I don't have to bother about any of this raid rubbish anymore. I've already spoken to the fire station up the road about having cylinders in the house; or rockets as the fire brigade see them. :P

[Edited on 2-10-2010 by peach]

madscientist
National Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 11:25

It is absolutely illegal to possess a lot of those things, even if they aren't controlled. They can nail you with the vague "possession of a precursor" laws or worse, "intent to manufacture."

I weep at the sight of flaming acetic anhydride.
undead_alchemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: Tired, Cleaning up corporate messes at work!

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 11:44

Quote: Originally posted by overunity33  
Saw a vendor on ebay selling Diethylamine hcl, Sodium Borohydride, h3po3, Propionyl Chloride. Supposedly in BC, canada. I emailed him and his response was emailed from a dedicated server company in Chicago, IL according to the header IP address. Not a good sign...

Said seller of this is on this forum.

[Edited on 2-10-2010 by undead_alchemist]
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 11:45

Quote: Originally posted by madscientist  
It is absolutely illegal to possess a lot of those things, even if they aren't controlled. They can nail you with the vague "possession of a precursor" laws or worse, "intent to manufacture."

absolutely correct. even if the books don't say it's a no-no you have to remember that here in the land of the "free" that every inmate in the prison system brings a fortune in tax money and you can't discount all the L.E. assholes and young judges who want to make a name for themselves and look like crusading heroes*cough*bullshit!*cough* who said that!??!!!?

jon
Hazard to Others

Mood: paranoid distrustful apprehensive

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 12:01

man i used to like the police you know some of thier earlier hits like "don't stand so close to me"
and "ill be watching you"
then i realized hey wait a minute maybe that's a vauge warning.
hmmm.
and just because the seller of this is on this forum what does that mean? a lot of L.E. is on this forum.

have it sent to your neighbors and look for the jumpout boys.

on the other hand i've oerdered sketchy shit it was'nt listed but sketchy enough to warrant investigation and i'm not calling with from a place that asks for collect call auth. and warns "this is a correctional institution"

[Edited on 2-10-2010 by jon]

[Edited on 2-10-2010 by jon]
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 12:28

Quote: Originally posted by jon  

have it sent to your neighbors and look for the jumpout boys.

man that's harsh! funny as hell but harsh! i would rather handle my worst enemy myself than wish a visit from the swine on them. only good use for swine is next to eggs on a plate!

jon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 13:40

it's a bit disrespectful to farm animals to call the police swine.
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 15:50

Quote: Originally posted by jon  
it's a bit disrespectful to farm animals to call the police swine.

oh my lord!! i am truly sorry for that bit of insensitivity! sometimes we say horrible things before we think... pigs may roll in shit but i would never eat anything as dirty as a cop! thanks for catching me on that.:(

jon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 17:33

no problem.
at least swine don't bust your door down and steal your freedom and property.
Contrabasso
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-10-2010 at 14:01

Well someone on ebay uk was selling a box with one bottle of conc nitric and one of conc sulphuric, with the note that they would be correctly shipped.
Needless to say I didn't have the opportunity to check the driver's credentials, that deal seemed just too hot. Might as well send acetone and HTP together!
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 5-10-2010 at 12:07

Correctly shipped? Hmmmmmmm

If you check the terms and conditions for 99%+ of the couriers, none of them will accept acids or any other remotely dangerous chemical, including precharged lighters.

I tried asking a bunch of them for quotes to ship a 1l bottle of acid and they wanted something like £400 for a special driver to go and pick it up. There are ways to ship chemicals for £10, but it's not using regular postage services. At least, not legally.

dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-10-2010 at 12:15

Hello,

Here's one that will frighten the life out of you!! Via the price!!!

36% HCl for the picking up (if your lucky and live in UK).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hydrochloric-Acid-36-Brick-Patio-Clean...

Dann2
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 06:52

God dammit! 2 hours away, and in exactly the opposite direction to the two hours I need to drive to pick something else up, that's even heavier than these. AND, I just emptied my bottle of hydrochloric.

However;

Quote:
Contains a blend of non-ionic surfactants, hydrochloric acid and corrosion inhibitors.

Making it a potentially bad choice for chemistry requiring any degree of precision or things like splitting phases.

It'd really needs redoing by dumping an equally large quantity of sulphuric on it and redissolving the hydrogen chloride that comes off, to get it nice 'n pure again. Or straight up distillation.

But 200l+ plus, yikes.

It would not surprise me if the person who buys that tries reselling it in liter bottles as reagent grade, without cleaning it up.

If I could easily get it to the house, I might be able to give it go. But moving, shipping and working with something like that won't be a.... barrel of laughs.

[Edited on 6-10-2010 by peach]

MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 7-10-2010 at 06:56
eBay

Always remember, that eBay = eSnitch. They'll turn over records to LEOs on request.

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top