Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Reagents in NZ
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

thumbup.gif posted on 29-9-2010 at 23:55
Reagents in NZ

I was talking to the owner of camlabz and he has access to regents. The prices are however high (I was asking about pure Ca(OCl)2 and Cu powder) and the prices were $90 for 500g of hypochlorite and $50 for the copper

I think he has access to Ajaxfinechem. So those of you in NZ looking for reagents, might want to ask him.
uchiacon
Hazard to Self

Mood: Financial

[*] posted on 30-9-2010 at 04:38

I have a small chem supplier who wants very very steep prices for 100g quantities of compounds.

$100 for 100g of NaN3, $120 for 150g phenol, $80 for 100g of KMnO4. Sounds like this guy you refer to isnt that bad. 500g is a lot... I will look him up. Funny though, I've never found this source before... nice work.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

Before you find youself cheering for a new regulation, consider your reaction if you were to be on the receiving end.
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-9-2010 at 05:21

Whoops read my email wrong. $50 for 100g of Cu Powder not 500g
psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 30-9-2010 at 12:11

Yeah, he looks interesting. Not sure if it's the kind of interesting I want to trade with, though.

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 1-10-2010 at 22:34

Jesus christ I feel sorry for you guys over there.

I'd feel more sorry if it wasn't for all the sunshine and hot girlies you're hoarding. :P

uchiacon
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 00:18

Bullshit! All the hot girls are in japan, london and america!
Last time I checked, the hotness ratio in our school, which is pretty academic, is about 10%. Every girl in london seems to be slim, tanned and hot.

All of ours are either fat, maori, or undesirable. Or all three lol...
Our weather isn't too hot either...grass is always greener on the other side.

$50 for 100 Cu powder is quite frankly crap, you can find plenty of middlemen who are willing to double the price to sell to you. That's before you factor in the "high purity" price premium you have to pay anyway.

For things that aren't used in industry, I might go to them, but so far I haven't. Epoxy and paint suppliers will do copper powder, and it'll be at the more reasonable price of $50 for 500g... regardless of their "high purity analytical grade" bullshit that they use for an excuse...not unless you're doing high accuracy analytical work, when you need to have five zeros in front of the 1 in percentage of impurities.

Gee, I looked at the "trade" section of camlabz. Very dodgy...
Seems he's willing to act as a pawn shop to sell chemicals and lab equipment.

www.camlabz.co.nz/trade.html

Kinda seems like he's prepared to sell to the less scrupulous individuals who get their items for trade from less scrupulous sources for chemicals and equipment for which they wish to use for less scrupulous purposes.

[Edited on 04-07-09 by uchiacon]

[Edited on 04-07-09 by uchiacon]

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

Before you find youself cheering for a new regulation, consider your reaction if you were to be on the receiving end.
Bismuth
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 03:50

Quote: Originally posted by uchiacon  
Bullshit! All the All the hot girls are in japan, london and america!

There was a time when I believed that too.

You can get copper powder for a decent price at places that supply items for molds, casts, engraving; those sorts of things. An example would be a place that sells 1kg of it for $44AUD and 500g for $24.20AUD. A lot of it is courier only, which is a pain in the ass. They usually sell powders such as aluminium and iron too.

I know someone who might know a decent place in NZ where to obtain it. Chances are that he might have some himself.

mewrox99
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 03:57

LOL I wasn't that serious on buying any. I was just curious.

And yes I have to agree on uchiacon about NZ girls and weather.

The weather is shit, and a lot of the girls are low class :P
Bismuth
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 04:18

Just reiterating out the fact that in countries such as NZ and Australia you basically have to do some digging for items if you want them for a reasonable price. High purity is obviously the decider, but you would be surprised what one can find. Getting a friendly customer-supplier relationship in NZ will help you a lot. I know a friend who can get whatever he wants really for cheap prices.

I still haven't been to a dedicated chemistry supplier for chemicals, but if I want some perchloric acid I think I will have too :(.
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 06:13

Me too. My 15th birthday is coming up, and I'm gonna spend the money I get on ajaxfinechem reagents from him and HClO4 will be one of them
uchiacon
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 13:06

to be honest man, unless you get several hundred dollars for your birthday, you'll just end up with a small container of one chemical that you had to buy for $100. These just aren't the good ol days when reagents were reasonable. All prices are around $80+

If I was you, I'd keep trying to find a bulk supplier. Of course, perchloric acid could be a bit difficult to find; you'd probably need to go to ajax for that. You could also research currency trading and grow your money that way, but that's just me.

You can distill it from your Na perchlorate and HCl/H2SO4 , but I've read that this material is incredibly potent...

peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 14:18

Can't you import chemicals? Even the UK sells a fair bit of this stuff OTC, never mind the guys in China and India. The main problem with them will be them trying to sell you too much of it, "You want 200kg barrel?", "2kg", "200kg barrel?" :P

Nah, I love the Chinese and Indian sellers. A lot of the stuff is absolutely fine provided you don't expect a £1k product for £10, new. And they're usually more helpful or reply quicker than a lot of the guys in the UK.

I'd have thought if customs were going to stop the delivery, they'd have got eBay to knock them all off the site. As well as shutting down all the other online sites selling it over there.

If you're after chlorates and perchlorates, you'd probably be much better off doing them with an electrolytic cell. There is a ton of information online, and videos on youtube, about how to do it and it's not all that complicated to yield bags of it. A computer power supply will do super for the electricity source. I assume we're trying to make our own model rockets and smoke bombs? Naugh-tay.

Just don't do what Toady did in Neighbours and put it all in the ventilation system at school, accidentally gas everyone with toxic fumes and then up crying. :D

TOOOOOOE-DaY!

Look at that mullet / pony tail hybrid. Beautiful.

[Edited on 2-10-2010 by peach]

psychokinetic
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 16:38

You're all looking at the wrong bits of NZ. Our ladysheep are so fine.

Oh, human wimmens? Yeah, they're pretty nice too.

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 16:53

Jumpin' Jelly Beans! As Harold used to say.

How many NZ'ers are here?! I suddenly feel overwhelmed by a hither to unknown critical mass.

We should have an NZ / Auzzy sub-forum, specially catering to your unique stocking problems. And one for getting reagents as well.

Wales has a good supply of ladysheep. It looks quite a lot like NZ I'm told, just a lot colder and with much more expensive milk & chippies catering to the camping foreigners from England.

[Edited on 3-10-2010 by peach]

psychokinetic
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 17:01

There are 4.5million of us, and unfortunately the sheep are more understanding of amateur chemistry than the humans.

-Tesla
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 14:52

One of you is my friend's wife. Connections! :D

Ask the sheep about reagents. It's a bleating long shot, but there's lots of places for them to stash things in that coat.

I remember walking along one night in Wales when a pair of bright fluorescent blue eyes suddenly appeared a foot from me through a hedge. A primal, animal instinct overcame me like never before and I loaded my pants big time.

When the nom nom noming of grass started again, I realized it was a ladysheep stood on the other side, watching me. :P

[Edited on 3-10-2010 by peach]

ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 17:24

Quote:

When the nom nom noming of grass started again, I realized it was a ladysheep stood on the other side, watching me. :P

Cough, lady sheep? I really hope you were not a Welsh gentleman, cough :)
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-10-2010 at 16:30

Also about asking countingsheep1 for reagents.

He gets his chemicals from Clarks Product LTD. I sent those guys an email and they do sell to individuals. It's probably cheaper to skip the middle man and buy from them directly.

Both Clarks and countingsheep1 are only good if you want >5kg amounts. awesome_trades has access to some stuff he doesn't sell on trademe. I bought some K2Cr2O7 from him a while ago. Fairly cheap 100g for $12 inc post

For you NZ pyros, he also sells visco fuse

psychokinetic
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-10-2010 at 16:56

Good to know.

I gather he is another TMer?

-Tesla
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-10-2010 at 18:15

Yep. He was the original one.

len1
National Hazard

Mood: NZ 1 (goal) - Italy 1 (dive)

[*] posted on 4-10-2010 at 19:05

I remember as a teenager in 1980 walking 1hr down Hutt Rd (no public transport there) to Waltons for 500gms ammonium dichromate, only to be told that you 'need a letter from your parents'. After bringing a letter, they did sell it to me for $12, which is about $70 in todays equivalent (a loaf of bread was about 40c then).
psychokinetic
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-10-2010 at 23:42

Can't walk down Hutt Rd any more. Quadruple parked.

Is Waltons still there?

-Tesla
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-10-2010 at 02:02

I doubt if still there Waltons will sell Ammonium dichromate

Still Ammonium Dichromate is pretty easy to make. Go into any electronic store and pick up a big bottle of Ammonium Persulfate for $10 and buy some Potassium Dichromate for the internets. Mix stoichiometrically, filter the potassium persulfate. And desiccate to dryness your ammonium dichromate. Easy as pie!
psychokinetic
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-10-2010 at 11:48

Ammonium dichromate pie.

Tasty.

-Tesla
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 5-10-2010 at 12:04

I asked my mum if she knew what cream pie was. She didn't answer. Google images didn't help either. Now I know it's what American's know a meringue as.

Eeeee-vil, dichromate pie?

[Edited on 5-10-2010 by peach]

Pages:  1  

Go To Top