Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Micro-batches
twelti
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-2-2019 at 14:02
Micro-batches

I have been lurking and reading for a while. After months of further research, I would like to eventually do one or both of the following:

Select and synthesize a primary. I will be looking for one that is not too hard to make yet is a relatively safer one. I may also look at exploding wire alternatives.

Select and synthesize a secondary, again not too hard to make and one of the (relatively) safer ones.

I don't care about yields really, or cost (within reason). I'm willing to go to pretty much any length to minimize risk. I don't have any need to make very large explosions, not doing any mining or demolition or anything like that, and in any case not much opportunity in my area to make too much noise. My question is this: is it feasible to make literally a couple of mL of for example NG or EGDN? Are there any changes to the relative proportions of chemicals used? Will there be any issues with handling such small quantities? It clearly would be less risky (though I would NOT let my guard down in any way). In the worst case scenario, there is less energy to be released. Also, runaways and nasty fumes etc. would seem to be much less likely for micro-batches. It would also be a good way to get practice in case larger batches were to be contemplated. Does anyone have any experiences/advise in this regard?

[Edited on 28-2-2019 by twelti]
johnmay
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-2-2019 at 16:32

Yeah, synthesis of EM in micro-batches is possible, just scale down amounts of reagents to fit you'r needs and go for it.
And for the issues with small batches.. You always lose some of the product during the process (sticking to the filters, containers, getting spilled etc.).
If you're filtering 100 gramms and 1 gramm is left and lost on the filter it's normal and bearable but if you make 2g and lost 1 during filtering.. damn it's preety big loss, yeah? ;)

Small batches are safer for handling and will do less damage if something goes wrong so its good for inexperienced chemists.

Regards,
John.
happyfooddance
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-2-2019 at 16:42

You seem to be on the right track. Just remember, 1-2g of a primary is plenty enough to send glass to the back of your eyeballs at the speed of sound.

Personally, I like to try any experiment with energetics with under half a gram of material the first time.

It is fun and challenging working on a small scale, but it helps one's knowledge and technique immensly.
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 28-2-2019 at 23:00

@twelti
Several experienced experimenters have come to the conclusion that the use of CHP as a primary substance is a good compromise. Easy production and safe handling. And even pressing on high density. God does not make much choice in the choice of primary substances. CHP forms the bridge between primary and secondary substances in the best possible way. It is a relatively new substance. It was discovered four years ago. Therefore, official studies are not yet available. The properties and production and use of CHP can be found here at S-M. Keywords: CHP, TACP, Berta system....:cool:...LL

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
twelti
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 13:59

Hi Lab of Liptakov, I did see some of your videos on TACP and CHP. Very interesting stuff. I like the way you test the caps in the sawdust. That is interesting to me since I live in an area where making loud bangs would not be appreciated too much. But that way you can still test things out. So is it your opinion that this CHP is the best/safest primary currently available? I see a lot of people singing the praises of various alternatives (azo-clathrates for example). For me, safety is the only consideration. I don't care much about cost or yield etc. Also, I don't care about stability over periods of more than a week or two. I don't like the idea of storing stuff anyways. I also don't like any toxic substances.

[Edited on 1-3-2019 by twelti]
OneEyedPyro
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 15:04

I've never experimented much with such small batches of secondaries, but even 3 grams of NG or EGDN is enough to be as loud as a .308 rifle or even louder (in other words, very loud). In a city or in parts of the world where gun fire is suspicious, I would be careful about that.
3g of EGDN or NG has enough power to seriously hurt or kill a person, so don't think small quantities necessarily equal safety. Even a single drop on the skin is enough to make you quite ill.

Personally I'd recommend something a bit more forgiving that's easier to handle and less toxic than NG or EGDN. ETN is a better substitute all around in my opinion.

It would be lengthy to describe all of the manufacture and handling issues typical of such small quantities of liquid explosives like EGDN or NG, but in general it's much more difficult to manage than solid explosives.

[Edited on 1-3-2019 by OneEyedPyro]
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 1-3-2019 at 15:17
CHP

OK, CHP is for you maybe best choice. According your description. Low sensitive on friction. CHP is possible even scratching on warm stainless steel plate. Without damage. CHP is mixture: Tetraamine copper perchlorate (TeACP ) + 6% hexamine + 6% NH4ClO4. This mixture show best properties. (5 years of research) . Therefore will established name CHP66. Detonation pressure is about 25 GPa at 1,85g/cc. Maximal use (practical) density is 1,91 g/cc. Without Not-overpressing dead. CHP Require solid metal cavity for reliable Deflagrate - detonation Transfer (DDT - D2D)......:cool:.....LL

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)

Go To Top