Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Setting up a burner
DrMario
Hazard to Others

Mood: Underpaid.

[*] posted on 2-10-2014 at 07:57

Quote: Originally posted by DrMario  
Quote: Originally posted by DrMario  
Sorry for bringing up an old thread (BTW, why is that even considered bad etiquette?) but I have a related question: I have purchased an old-school Bunsen burner, in fact from Bunsen's homeland, and would like to feed it from a disposable gas bottle. This for safety and practicality reasons.

The problem is attachment: is there any adapter that would allow me to attach a standard hose with clamp to a disposable gas bottle? The gas bottles I've seen sold have a small threaded valve. The only solution I see at this point, is to buy a portable gas burner and then just cut and throw away the parts I don't need - which is most of them. That would cost me between 30 and 50 EUR. I'd prefer something cheaper and simpler.

Potentially answering my own question (asking whether this is a good idea, actually): buy this and then hack off the burner part?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Outdoor-Picnic-Gas-Burner-C...

Or this - even cheaper:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gas-Jet-Flame-Burner-Gun-Fire-Lighte...
Artemus Gordon
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-10-2014 at 16:02

I'd take the burner to a hardware store (A REAL hardware store, not Home Depot or Lowes) and ask the plumbing person for help. They probably have all the fittings you need for just a few dollars.
zenosx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Awaiting Results....

[*] posted on 2-10-2014 at 17:55

Eh, I'd be a bit leery of your idea myself. I personally still use Arther Dents idea, however I use a meker type burner connected in the same way with a wide open gas port and open air inlets. It works great with full blue flame. It Could work as it is the same concept however taping off the air inlet ports of a standard blow torch directly connected to a burner would be cheaper IMHO.
Any type of regulator here in the states costs around $35-40 where I live, and I just haven't had that to invest (And I have a corning PC320 hotplate/stirrer)

[Edited on 3-10-2014 by zenosx]

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

Albert Einstein
DrMario
Hazard to Others

Mood: Underpaid.

[*] posted on 2-10-2014 at 18:47

Quote: Originally posted by Artemus Gordon  
I'd take the burner to a hardware store (A REAL hardware store, not Home Depot or Lowes) and ask the plumbing person for help. They probably have all the fittings you need for just a few dollars.
You would think so, but the fitting for the disposable gas bottle is super-problematic.

On the plus side, at my research institution there are people who deal with gas fittings professionally, and I'll figure out how to most safely connect my tubing to the hacked-off burner I just bought off eBay. Which BTW, may never actually arrive since it's in Honk Kong.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top