Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Concentration of organic phase without rotovap?
Chan
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-3-2019 at 15:00
Concentration of organic phase without rotovap?

After separation and washing, the non-polar organic phase remains as a hydrochloride solved in dichloromethane.

Since we do not have access to a rotovap, I wonder how it could be concentrated?

Someone suggested simply magnetic stirring (evaporation of DCM over time) which should leave the crude hydrochloride salt. Is this an option?

Since DCM has such a low boiling point (39.2 °C), would heating to 40+ °C while stirring be feasible to accelerate the process?
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-3-2019 at 15:46

Provided that your non-polar organic phase does not decompose, form an azeotrope with dcm, or vapourise near 40oC it should be ok
go slowly on the last part, and consider the dcm fumes.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-3-2019 at 15:53

Hydrochloride salts should be highly polar. Are you sure the solute in DCM is hydrochloride salt instead of the free base?

Chan
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-3-2019 at 17:09

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  
Provided that your non-polar organic phase does not decompose, form an azeotrope with dcm, or vapourise near 40oC it should be ok
go slowly on the last part, and consider the dcm fumes.
Slower is better, I got you. I guess one could try with a small amount of the solution and would see what happens. Adequate ventilation is important, thanks for the tip.

[Edited on 3-3-2019 by Chan]
Chan
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-3-2019 at 17:31

Quote: Originally posted by fusso  
Hydrochloride salts should be highly polar. Are you sure the solute in DCM is hydrochloride salt instead of the free base?
I am as certain as the authors of the academic paper published in a reputable chemical journal. No more.

Maybe the hydrochloride form of certain organic molecules is non-polar? Would that be possible?

We haven't tried the procedure, and probably never will, we are just thinking it through.

According to the authors, the product will remain as a "non-polar hydrochloride" in the dichloromethane layer. It should be in hydrochloride form because the phase had been shaken with HCl before what would (according to the paper) convert all still remaining compounds (along with the product) into hydrochloride form.

The separation of the product (from the remaining unwanted compounds in HCl form) seems to happen because the salt of the product molecule is non-polar. All the remaining compounds in HCl form (which seem to be polar) would land up in the aqueous layer.

The authors suggest treating the salt of the product with NaOH to get the freebase form, but our experiment would stop at the crude salt (or eventual recrystallization for purification).

fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-3-2019 at 18:37

So it's the hydrochloride of what (amine)?

[Edited on 190303 by fusso]

zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 3-3-2019 at 14:51

Yup! As fusso has intimated. The term "Hydrochloride Salt" suggests your product is an amine. Such a "salt", would be polar and as such, would likely be insoluble in DCM.

Provide a link to, or a transcript of, the original procedure.

Happy to help, if possible, but we need more, and better.... information.

Otherwise, rotovap lacking, slowly injecting such a solution into a vacuum (flash/freeze drying), might serve as a method of concentration.

[Edited on 3-3-2019 by zed]

[Edited on 3-3-2019 by zed]
Heptylene
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 08:38

I usually vacuum distill off the solvent for recovery. In the case of DCM, no vacuum, except to dry the product at the end. You don't need a rotavap for most things, though it makes life easier.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Member Is Online

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 08:56

Dichloromethane is sufficiently polar to dissolve numerous ionic compounds in my experience, particularly ones with huge organic cations.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 10:16

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  
Dichloromethane is sufficiently polar to dissolve numerous ionic compounds in my experience, particularly ones with huge organic cations.
For example?

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Member Is Online

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 22:04

Bis(triphenylphosphine)iminium chloride comes to mind, along with several dozen complexes containing bis(diphenylphosphino)methane ligands (with chloride, tetrafluoborate or triflate counterions).

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 22:09

Methylamine HCl is insoluble in DCM whereas trimethylamine HCl is soluble.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-3-2019 at 17:27

I have isolated some lipophilic amine HCl salts in the DCM layer, you need about 4-6+ carbons in the molecule. If you have an amine in DCM then wash with aq.HCl, dry the organics well, then concentrate the DCM and either cool it or add ether, the salt will often ppt. I was making a mono-FMOC-protected diamine, which is not stable as the free amine and thus was isolated as the HCl salt. Even better, the unprotected diamine was water soluble, and the bis-protected did not make the salt, so it did not ppt. Great way to purify it.

You could simply blow air/nitrogen over the DCM solution, preferably then over an ice cold or dry ice trap to recover the DCM, or distill it with a 40C water bath. If the compound is stable, 40C should be fine. In my case, I did it very cold under a good vacuum on the rotovap.

Go To Top