Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: carboxylation of skatole
nikotyna1939
Hazard to Self

Mood: THINK 3R REDUCE REUSE RECYCLE

[*] posted on 9-3-2019 at 23:01
carboxylation of skatole

can anyone show the ingredient to carboxylate skatole for making indole -3 carboxylic acid
TheMasterOfTheInternet
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-3-2019 at 22:41

Potassium permanganate, sodium dichromate and several other oxidants will oxidise the -CH3 to -COOH with ease

Though indole is quite sensitive to oxidation too, so unless you invest a lot of experiments and optimisations, the yield would be rather low and the workup might be hard too.
Only ref that someone did it with success I could find for this reaction is Chemische Berichte, vol. 21, page 1930 (German language) and Gazzetta Chimica Italiana, vol. 18, page 387 (Italian)
I would search for the articles but Wiley Libary Server has problems at the moment

Better way would be Indole+CO2

[Edited on 14-3-2019 by TheMasterOfTheInternet]
TheMasterOfTheInternet
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-3-2019 at 23:02

Here's the German original (directly from the stone-age :D)
http://sci-hub.se/https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.100...
Rougly translated (if I did understand correctly, autotranslate has bigger problems than usual, as the old letters aren't recognized correctly), in a silver bowl 5-10g skatol was fused/molten with 10times the amount of dried KOH while covered with a water-cooled glass to avoid evaporation of the skatole. When a black oil is formed, the cover is removed and the oxidation is done by stirring it in the athomsphere (so oxidation itself is done by air) until the color stays homogenous.

After cooling down, the whole mess is completly dissolved in water, filtered, acidified and the crude indole 3 carboxolic acid precipitates.
The acid is redissolved in hot water (maybe with another addition of lye?), filtered through active charcoal, precipitated (by acid?)/cristallised again and lastly recristallised a last time from benzene to get a pure product

I guess the "silver bowl" can be subsituted with a good stainless steel bowl, as I don't think silver has catalytic influence. Stainless steel wasn't inventend/readily available at that time if I remember correctly, so that's the reason they took a silver bow I guess (inert to KOH and strong heat)

[Edited on 14-3-2019 by TheMasterOfTheInternet]
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
13-3-2024 at 05:26

Go To Top