Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-3-2011 at 13:33

Sure looks cool!
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 1-3-2011 at 21:43

Quote: Originally posted by NurdRage  
actually it came off Nothing special really, just take a flower and stick it into highlighter fluid water and then shine a UV light on it after one day.

Safe and cool looking.

Cool, glad I know whats going on because I recently for no reason lost sound on my computer:o.

Did you come up with this idea or have you seen other do the same as well? Im shocked I have never seen something so simple done. The dye and flower idea has been around for ages so I would expect someone to think of UV dye alone time ago I just have never seen such a thing.

Thanks for sharing.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
NurdRage
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 00:22

@blogfast thanks

@sedit Came up with it myself.

I had a firm educated hypothesis though; i studied analytical chemistry and knew biological samples were routinely stained with fluorescent dyes. So i guess THOSE scientists get 80% of the credit. An old kids TV show i watched back when i was 5 gets 15% of the credit for showing me the plant and food coloring idea, 4% of the credit goes to my analytical chemistry professors, and i claim 1% for putting it together. ;)
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 2-3-2011 at 07:35

Damn man, you about as modest and humble as it gets aint ya:D.

Nice work no matter what, im glad to see it you gave it your all. When most people wish to put in 110% effort on things Dr Butyl is more then happy to suffice with just 1% and still get the job done:P

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-3-2011 at 11:12

I don't have any photos, but some flowers if touched with a cigarette turn pretty colors. I remember putting patterns of dots all over the flowers. It was almost like litmus paper the way they would change. Things like purple morning glory flowers work, in Oregeon I found several flowers that produced very pretty effects. I imagine you could develop the process further, making something artistic and noteworthy. Hydrangeas can be pink or blue, depending on the pH of the soil.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-4-2011 at 09:59

Bottom of the tube: NaCl (solid, about 11 g), top CuSO4.5H2O (solid, about 14 g, with 50 ml water poured over it all. Due to the high solubility of CuSO4.5H2O (> 30 g/100 g water) some of the CuSO4 dissolved immediately on pouring on the water, where the dissolved Cu2+ then reacts with NaCl to form the green CuCl4 (2-) complex anion. The green is so intense the white NaCl appears green!

After shaking the tube for some time:

This solution can be considered a solution of Cu2+, CuCl4 (2-), Na+ and SO4(2-).

[Edited on 9-4-2011 by blogfast25]
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-4-2011 at 10:50

Now add some Aluminium foil a la woelen :D
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-4-2011 at 13:32

Quote: Originally posted by DJF90  
Now add some Aluminium foil a la woelen :D

I will! :cool:
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-4-2011 at 06:03

So this is the CuSO4/NaCl tube after adding some aluminium (a few of these little levers you use for opening a pop can) and standing overnight:

Top layer is greyish CuCl with a wad of elemental copper ‘hidden’ in it, then follows a green layer and at the bottom of the tube is some CuCl. Here’s the wad of copper sponge recovered and rinsed:

What took me by surprise a bit was the heat generated by the reduction of Cu2+(aq) by Al(s). Of course the cell potential ΔE for 3 Cu2+(aq) + 2 Al(s) === > 3 Cu(s) + 2 Al3+(aq) is very healthy and thus ΔG = -nFΔE is too but in this case things appeared to even start boiling, which is why the copper was found in the top bit of the tube! Of course it was a concentrated solution too (almost saturated).

The CuCl was of course formed by Cu(s) + Cu2+(aq) + 2 Cl-(aq) === > 2 CuCl(s). The heat will have helped a lot! Here’s some of the CuCl transferred to another (smaller) test tube:

Left: the CuCl.

Right: after adding 4 M NaOH. The green precipitate is likely to be our old friend the Cu[+I]/Cu[+II] complex, due to some remaining Cu2+ (the suspension as slightly bueish).

Reaction with ammonia:

Middle: the left tube from above was decanted off, then fresh water added and then decanted again. 4 % NH3 solution was then added. The deep blue is the colour of the Cu+ ammonia complex: Cu [+I] forms the same complex as Cu2+ and it’s blue too. The weak ammonia dissolves all the CuCl!

Left: adding 4 M NaOH changes nothing for a few minutes, indicating strength of the complex. But then slowly precipitation starts…

Right: the same tube as above right, after a bit of standing what is more or less Cu2O has dropped out (CuO's colour depends on a lot of things...)
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-4-2011 at 07:37

The reaction is very vigourous indeed. I think you'd have better results by making the solution in a beaker and laying a piece of foil on top of the solution. It won't be there for long, I'll guarentee that!!
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-4-2011 at 08:42

Oh, I’ve plated out many a metal from solution using Al but in this case the oxidising solution was very concentrated (about 1.1 M in Cu2+ and the Standard Cell Potential just over 2 V). I might want to determine the heat of reaction with my compensation calorimeter…
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 9-4-2011 at 10:49

Made some CuSO<sub>4</sub>·5H2O using 12% H<sub>2</sub>O<sub>2</sub> and 98% H<sub>2</sub>SO<sub>4</sub>

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-4-2011 at 12:20

Wonderful! Describe the conditions of your process more precisely, please?
Bot0nist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-4-2011 at 13:13

50ml of 12% H<sub>2</sub>O<sub>2</sub> was poured into a 100ml beaker and chilled to aprox. 5c. 10ml of 98% H<sub>2</sub>SO<sub>4</sub> was added slowly while stirring. A 10g piece of cleaned copper pipe was added and the reaction preceded immediately and rather violently with a lot of fizzing and some splashing. The solution began to turn blue almost instantaneously and the color got darker as the reaction continued. The beaker was placed in a still area to sit overnight. Approximately 15 hours later I took these pictures. Aside from the crystals on the pipe, there is a great mass that formed on the bottom of the beaker as well.

My wife actually enjoyed this project, as opposed to some of my others;)

[Edited on 9-4-2011 by Bot0nist]

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-4-2011 at 09:57

Bot0nist:

This is the first time I’ve seen a decent write-up of this quick and mean synth. of CuSO4, straight from conc. H2SO4 (but maybe I should get out more often? :D ). I only have H2O2 9% and H2SO4 about 95 % but I’ll definitely be trying this shortly, Thank you!
Bot0nist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-4-2011 at 11:02

Thanks for the kind words, unfortunately credit mostly belongs to nurdrage. Check out his youtube channel. He shows three different methods for copper sulfate . One with sulfuric and hydrogen peroxide as the oxidant, and one using HNO<sub>3</sub> as the oxidant. I will try his electrochemical method next, as the H<sub>2</sub>O<sub>2</sub> method is a bit inefficient. It is so easy and fun I had to try it though.

The 9% peroxide should work fine. This reaction works in diluted solutions. Maybe try 60ml to 15ml or around that. A lot of the H<sub>2</sub>O<sub>2</sub> decomposes during the reaction. Maybe reducing heat build up will help with this though.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-4-2011 at 11:38

I'll check that out :cool:
nezza
Hazard to Others

Mood: phosphorescent

[*] posted on 17-4-2011 at 06:26

Hi. I was cutting up some praseodymium recently and ended up with some filings. As a reactive metal I thought it would be interesting to mix with an oxidiser and ignite. I got a lovely "soft" explosion and clouds of dark brown smoke (Presumably an oxide of praseodymium). I have attached a Single frame and a slow motion video of the explosion.

Praseodymium.jpg - 48kB

Attachment: My Movie.wmv (1.1MB)
This file has been downloaded 956 times
kuro96inlaila
Hazard to Self

Mood: Quietly thinking

[*] posted on 17-4-2011 at 07:18

Quote: Originally posted by nezza  
Hi. I was cutting up some praseodymium recently and ended up with some filings. As a reactive metal I thought it would be interesting to mix with an oxidiser and ignite. I got a lovely "soft" explosion and clouds of dark brown smoke (Presumably an oxide of praseodymium). I have attached a Single frame and a slow motion video of the explosion.

Hmm,exotic pyro composition!
Never see praseodymium flash powder before!:D

http://www.youtube.com/user/kuro96inlaila

Genetic assortment is the dices of God
NurdRage
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-4-2011 at 21:57

Sodium made by magnesium + sodium hydroxide process.

First shot is the synthesis right from the raw slag, and the second is after workup and cleaning.

Dirty Sodium.jpg - 187kB Cleaned Sodium.jpg - 172kB
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-4-2011 at 01:29

Nurdrage:

This is still sodium by magnesiothermy, right? Not 'Pok's method'?

Very nice pix, BTW! :cool:

[Edited on 18-4-2011 by blogfast25]
NurdRage
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-4-2011 at 12:07

Yeah its not pok's method.

So don't worry, i haven't beaten ya to it. ;)
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-4-2011 at 12:10

Hey, I wish you would: makes my life easier!

You seem to have improved the magnesiothermic method though: I don't recall nice globules. Care to share?
NurdRage
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-4-2011 at 13:40

Yield is still shit, around ~10%. I want to get that to ~50% before i share it.
m1tanker78
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-4-2011 at 13:43

Don't judge a book by its cover? :D

Unrefined sodium nugget dissected to check internal integrity. Ugly outside; lustrous inside...

Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  40

Go To Top