Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ammonium Dinitramide?
grndpndr
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 03:27
Ammonium Dinitramide?

I came across this chemicals basic charteristics while perusing a series of multiple topics hosted by Gerald Hurst.
I havent yet heard of this energetic only what I had read on Mr Hursts thread so i hope this isnt old news.Byda Hurst's multiple topics are at http://archive.net/explosives/index.html.
This is the basic listing of charteristics found there.
#1.Contains max quantitie of o2.
#2 Readily gives up 02 during combustion of the pyro compound.
#3A chemical compound stable in the range of -60/+60c and no temp induced phase transitions that plaque AN in military use.
#4 Non hygroscopic,inert to action of H20.
#5No toxic effect on the human body or toxic compounds produced during decomposition.
#6. NH4(N02)2 contains a little more than 50% available 02 for reducing fuels.Its VOD appears to exceed 7000mps and is considered to be used to replace ammonium perchlorate
in the space programs solid rocket engines.

My question since it avoids the problems of phase transitions
of AN does anyone think this oxidizing substance will be considered as a replacement for AN containing military explosives? Say if its compatible with,and relatively inexpensive compared to less energetic 02 rich explosives.
Right now from what ive read it seems to be an unavailable
AN replacement in a sense:)Say a 40 lb ditching explosive reduced to 10lbs!?
Unfortunately for now at least home synthesis seems unattainable.And the soviets had it since the 70s:o
as compared to other explosives

My apologies a search would have been in order:(.Still it appears a pipe dream for home boys. No offense majicpipe

[Edited on 12-10-2010 by grndpndr]

[Edited on 12-10-2010 by grndpndr]
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 04:04

I am sure that this paper would be of interest :cool:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/n68217u15168mq12/
grndpndr
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 05:08

Thanks,Time marchs on:o
Microtek
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-10-2010 at 03:29

Dinitramide is by no means out of reach for the home experimenter. I have made it myself in small amounts (as the potassium salt) by mixed acid nitration of sulfamic acid follwed by neutralization of the reaction mixture.
The biggest hurdle is the need for very low temps; the nitration is exothermic and must be kept below -25 C during the reaction as the dinitramidic acid is unstable and decomposes too fast at higher temps.
I achieved these temps with very carefully planned CaCl2 based cooling baths (which can go as low as -55 C, but you do need some temperature differential, so this was only barely sufficient) coupled with good insulation, but if you have access to dry ice it would be much easier.

IIRC, Mr Cool (Nick F.) also did this, and we both followed in the footsteps of another member on this board or on roguesci. Unfortunately, I can't remember who it was.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 16-10-2010 at 05:17

Dinitramides, though (relatively) new, are important enough apparently, to have a newsletter devoted to them . . .

http://www.eurenco.com/en/news/docs/Dinitramide_oct_2004.pdf

Go To Top