Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Is Cody's method of extracting iodine from seaweed cost efficient on that scale?
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-3-2019 at 17:00
Is Cody's method of extracting iodine from seaweed cost efficient on that scale?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb7CGwidWjc
Cody extracted some I2 from seaweed.
He used a 1L batch of water to dissolve the iodide salts. Isn't it better to use a few smaller batches and boil away most water before the next steps? Is the CuI way the most cost efficient on that scale?

[Edited on 190318 by fusso]

Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 17-3-2019 at 17:56

Most of the ash content is sodium chloride, and precipitating copper iodide is really clever IMO. I thought of doing this in the past (I even tried but got nothing) using the usual HCl+H2O2, in that case you want a really concentrated solution of iodide, but as I said, most of the ash mass is just NaCl (so using H2SO4 directly is not a good idea) so even a saturated salt solution is mostly NaCl.
Clever Cody.
As for if it is cost efficient at that scale, obviously not, he had to buy dried kombu kelp with a high iodide content, normal seaweed has much less I suppose. If you don't buy your kelp you have to harvest it by yourself and dry it. Fun experiment, but as for many things, not profitable (even just the time spent on this experiment is worth more)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Abromination
Hazard to Others

Mood: 1,4 tar

[*] posted on 17-3-2019 at 21:51

This definitely is not an effective way of getting iodine even if you dont want to buy it directly. It would cost more even then a liter of povidone iodine and even extracting it from tincture as I did would be better. However his method of extraction was quite genius and the extraction is a fun project. There are however other ways of extraction which are less efficient although a quick search on Google should be sufficient for you.

List of materials made by ScienceMadness.org users:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nmJ8uq-h4IkXPxD5svnT...
--------------------------------
Elements Collected: H, Li, B, C, N, O, Mg, Al, Si, P, S, Fe, Ni, Cu, Zn, Ag, I, Au, Pb, Bi, Am
Last Acquired: B
Next: Na
--------------
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 18-3-2019 at 03:00

It's impossible to answer this question because it depends on your cost for reagents, energy, etc.
Boiling away a large amount of water also costs fuel/energy.

BTW, he extracted iodine from seaweed before by a different method:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmWB1Sl2uzE

I've tried it by a similar method (ash, leach, filter, evaporate, add sulfuric acid + peroxide), but only got a very, very small amount of iodine (just a few particles, 10's of mg at best) from about one kilogram (dry weight) of seaweed, of a type that I had selected for its supposedly relatively high iodine content.

[Edited on 18-3-2019 by phlogiston]

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
Jackson
Hazard to Others

Mood: :) Happy about new glassware :)

[*] posted on 18-3-2019 at 07:31

I have access to a very large amount of relatively high iodine content seaweed (based of a few charts I have found online so it could actually not be that high) with an iodine content comparable to the dried seaweed Cody used. I think I could process a couple kilograms of seaweed at a time. My main limitation is how much I can burn. If I save up copper iodide, could this potentially be a good source? basically, how much seaweed do I need to be able to process before it becomes cost effective or comparable to extraction from tincture. The seaweed itself wouldn’t cost me anything as I would be getting it from the ocean. It wouldn’t cost anything to dry it because I could use the sun or just take already dry seaweed.
Morgan
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-3-2019 at 10:34

As an aside, there's a small book entitled The Elements which has Bernard Courtois (1777-1838) and his description of the discovery of iodine from seaweed and it's colorful violet vapors in his own words. But it's like pulling teeth to find it on the internet. I vaguely remember it had an air of mystery about it, the way he felt seeing the beautiful clouds of smoke,
Morgan
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-3-2019 at 11:05

Maybe of interest, seaweeds and a cast of characters ...
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/236235464_Bernard_C...

Go To Top