Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Removing HCl from L-histidine methyl ester dihydrochloride
ZidaneTribal
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-3-2019 at 11:24
Removing HCl from L-histidine methyl ester dihydrochloride

I need the free base of L-histidine methyl ester dihydrochloride. I dissolved it in a saturated K2CO3 solution and extracted it with CH2Cl2, CHCl3 and EtOAc but no product was found in the organic phase. What am I doing wrong?
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 23-3-2019 at 05:00

Histidine is quite polar, even when not protonated. At high pH the carboxylate form will dominate. I would try carefully adjusting the pH to the isoelectric point (7.5), then doing multiple extractions into chloroform.

It might also be possible to form the free base in situ for the next step. What is your downstream application?

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
ZidaneTribal
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-3-2019 at 12:42

Quote: Originally posted by Metacelsus  
Histidine is quite polar, even when not protonated. At high pH the carboxylate form will dominate. I would try carefully adjusting the pH to the isoelectric point (7.5), then doing multiple extractions into chloroform.

It might also be possible to form the free base in situ for the next step. What is your downstream application?

I need it to react with methacryloyl acid in organic solvent. Should I just put it in dichlormethane and add triethylamine, then add methacryloyl chloride? Could be a good alternative.

Based on this paper: B. Garipcan, A. Denizli, Macromolecular Bioscience 2002, 2, 135-144.

[Edited on 23-3-2019 by ZidaneTribal]
Cactuar
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-3-2019 at 01:12

Quote: Originally posted by ZidaneTribal  
I need it to react with methacryloyl acid in organic solvent. Should I just put it in dichlormethane and add triethylamine, then add methacryloyl chloride? Could be a good alternative.

Based on this paper: B. Garipcan, A. Denizli, Macromolecular Bioscience 2002, 2, 135-144.

[Edited on 23-3-2019 by ZidaneTribal]

That's how I would have done it. Keep base in excess to quench formed HCl as the free amine would be protonated and the imidazole would be alkylated instead. Also keep temperature low to lower the imidazoles reactivity.

Go To Top