Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Making esters without sulfuric acid
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 17-10-2010 at 00:12
Making esters without sulfuric acid

I don't have any sulfuric acid and I would like to make esters. I read somewhere that lewis acids can do it instead of sulfuric acid. Would iron(iii) chloride form ester with benzoic acid in brandy (40-70% alcohol) to form ethyl benzoate?
DDTea
National Hazard

Mood: Degenerate

[*] posted on 17-10-2010 at 00:46

In principle, FeCl<sub>3</sub> should work as a catalyst. The purpose of the lewis acid in Fischer esterification is to stabilize the carboxylic acid as an oxonium ion. FeCl<sub>3</sub> should form a complex with the said oxonium ion, stabilizing the charge on the oxygen atom and activating the acid for nucleophilic attack by the alcohol.

As far as doing the reaction in brandy, it may have too much water for Fischer esterification to be feasible since the equilibrium is unfavorable enough as it is.

"In the end the proud scientist or philosopher who cannot be bothered to make his thought accessible has no choice but to retire to the heights in which dwell the Great Misunderstood and the Great Ignored, there to rail in Olympic superiority at the folly of mankind." - Reginald Kapp.
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 17-10-2010 at 10:10

Sodium bisulfate, sold as "pH Down" for swimming pools, will work as a catalyst for some esterifications. Here is one example. There are others.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 17-10-2010 at 11:25

Also, FeCl3 hydrate is not a lewis acid, it's already "reacted" with water. You have to use anhydrous material. If nothing else, you'll need to distill your brandy up to near absolute (98%) to get that to work.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
DJF90
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-10-2010 at 11:36

Fe (III) sulfate.xH20 works excellently for catalysing the esterification of aliphatic acids and di-acids. Toluene and a dean stark apparatus are necessary though. Theres a nice paper on it, yields all look over 90% IIRC.
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 26-12-2010 at 16:34

I have some potassium metabisulfite and in reaction with water should make so2 and potassium bisulfite which should oxidize into khso4. Could I use that to make ester from brandy and benzoic acid? I read in king's chemistry survival guide the preparation that uses 30% sulfuric acid, ethanol (possible vodka) and only 9% vinegar to make ethyl acetate.

Go To Top