Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Question :)
Chem Science
Hazard to Others

smile.gif posted on 24-3-2019 at 08:36
Question :)

I have some Fluorine and halogen compounds i like to share pictures of, where should i post theme ? should i post them here "sharing Awesome Chemical Pictures"[http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=146675 ]
Or here "Prety Pictures" [https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=26378]
i ask because halogen chemistry and halogen compounds are of their unique beauty in their chemical properties and uses :)
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-3-2019 at 11:39

Definitely pretty pictures as it's better to keep same things in the same gallery.
And this post should be in forum matters.

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 24-3-2019 at 20:38

Hi Chem Science.
The general idea is findability. If your pictures are worth anything then someone will remember them and want to come back to them. Keeping subject material of the same kind all together in the one thread is generally better for later recall and research. It sounds like your halogens could easily go in your existing thread.

The thread you started on Awesome Chemical Pictures is a bit different from the Pretty Pictures thread. The emphasis is less on things that are pretty and more on weird stuff you own. I think it is ok. Browse the Pretty pictures to find crystals of quite normal things photographed well, interesting side-products and effects observed during rections, unusual glassware, and all manner of other stuff.

Alternatively, if you wanted to do a write-up on how you synthesised one of these products, that would be a good thread just by itself. Maybe it could even go in prepub.
j_sum1
Administrator
Thread Moved
24-3-2019 at 20:38
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 25-3-2019 at 01:00

I do not agree with fusso. The pretty pictures thread is a general thread, not only reagents.

I think that the thread, created by Chem Science deserves its own place. I certainly will add more pictures to it soon. I recently made some beautiful and very dry ampouled samples of brightly colored transition metal complexes, which definitely are worth putting in this thread.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Chem Science
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-3-2019 at 03:10

I uploaded them in the Pretty Pictures, Can i upload them in both ? sorry for the mess :( I did think about the findability so i prefer to ask because the pretty pictures is a much bigger thread and frequently visited.how ever i started the awesome chemical pictures because the pretty pictures was more on Nice stuff rather than Awesome reagents.
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 25-3-2019 at 03:19

Well, we prefer to avoid double-posting. But I doubt anyone will be snitchy -- especially with such interesting samples.

I think keep the Pretty pictures for exactly that -- pretty pictures of assorted chemistry.
And your thread of interesting/dangerous chemicals that you own -- that looks like it will shape up to be something unique in its own right if there are a few different contributors. Alas, I just don't at present have anything I feel I should add to that one. Although I do have a photo of some gold trichloride that lasted a few seconds before decomposing.
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 25-3-2019 at 03:24

What about making Chem Science's thread a sticky one? It is more specific than the pretty pictures thread.

I will have a look into all threads which are sticky. I think some threads really are worth making sticky ones, such as the one we are discussing, but there probably also are threads which need not be sticky anymore, because they are about a once hot topic, which now is not that hot anymore.

Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-3-2019 at 05:10

You obviously have a huge backlog of very very nice pictures waiting to be shared :)

It's just me but I would have used the existing threads where that applies and (most likely) would have opened a thread of my own.
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-3-2019 at 10:02

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Although I do have a photo of some gold trichloride that lasted a few seconds before decomposing.
What, AuCl3 is unstable? What does it decomp to? Why is HAuCl4 stable but not the binary chloride?

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 25-3-2019 at 13:43

Quote: Originally posted by fusso  
Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Although I do have a photo of some gold trichloride that lasted a few seconds before decomposing.
What, AuCl3 is unstable? What does it decomp to? Why is HAuCl4 stable but not the binary chloride?
I have a YT video on it. Search sum_lab and dragon's blood.
Chem Science
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-3-2019 at 13:50

Okay so i'll upload them in the Awesome Chemicals thread, and keep uploading them in there because i think is more specificfor what i want to post. So see you there :)
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 27-3-2019 at 02:27

Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  
You obviously have a huge backlog of very very nice pictures waiting to be shared :)

It's just me but I would have used the existing threads where that applies and (most likely) would have opened a thread of my own.

I do not have a huge backlog of nice pictures. Even better, I have a huge backlog of very nice compounds/samples, I made myself, or purchased recently, which have to be photographed :D

Go To Top