Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: An interesting reaction
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

smile.gif posted on 18-10-2010 at 08:38
An interesting reaction

Out of curiosity I added a small quantity of concentrated sulphuric acid to a roughly equal volume of acetone. This was left to sit at room temperature overnight, and in the morning the reaction was discovered to have darkened to an amber colour and gained an aromatic smell quite different to that of acetone.

This was diluted in roughly five times its volume of water, to give an opaque orange emulsion that was broken with sodium chloride to give a beautiful orange aqueous solution and some murky greenish non-polar scum. The solution was observed to exhibit a strong yellow-orange fluorescence upon illumination with a green laser. Upon neutralization with sodium bicarbonate the solution turned a pale lemon yellow and lost fluorescence, and it was subsequently re-acidified with sulfuric acid causing it to return to its original orange colour and restoring fluorescence.

I highly recommend others try this beautiful reaction and welcome any suggestions as to what the observed reaction product(s) may be!

P.S. I will try to get some pictures uploaded soon.

The WiZard is In
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-10-2010 at 09:48

Quote: Originally posted by 12332123  
Out of curiosity I added a small quantity of concentrated sulphuric acid to a roughly equal volume of acetone. This was left to sit at room temperature overnight, and in the morning the reaction was discovered to have darkened to an amber colour and gained an aromatic smell quite different to that of acetone.

Any suggestions as to what the observed reaction product(s) may be!

Mesithylene http://tinyurl.com/2f6q7na perhaps.

Next time try www.justfuckinggoogleit.com.
You could redeem yourself by posting your pictures, however.

Lab prep dobe in Organic Synthesis Collective Volume I.
P. 341 & ff. I believe la book is in the Madness that Science
can often be — library.

[Edited on 18-10-2010 by The WiZard is In]
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
18-10-2010 at 10:49

Go To Top