Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Help for the carbon monoxide generator
ciprofloxacin
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-3-2019 at 09:59
Help for the carbon monoxide generator

Hey. I'm completely new to the chemistry. I just came here for asking a few questions.

My plan is building a simple carbon monoxide generator.

One chamber for sulphuric acid,
One chamber for formic acid,
One chamber for the purifying process. (I will fill that chamber too with sulphuric acid. and put the exhaust tube inside the chamber. The pure carbonmonoxide - acid vapour mix will be have purified after that process.)

At the end, the pure CO will go out from the silicon hose.

But there are few issues.

- I don't know which material I should use. Afaik, sulphuric acid melts plastics, so I couldn't use a plastic cup.

- The material of chambers are must be suitable for cutting.

- Can I use silicon gun to glue the pipes and chambers each other?

I posted an image, you may want to look at it.

Attachment: phpQv75eS (27kB)
This file has been downloaded 477 times

[Edited on 26-3-2019 by ciprofloxacin]
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-3-2019 at 11:11

I think that as you are new here and to chemistry it would be best to identify the intended use of the CO because;
. giving advice to beginners on handling CO is risky
. the procedure adopted will largely be determined by the final requirements, especially with regard to purity, contaminants, moisture etc.
. starting with formic acid sounds to me to be a relatively expensive route

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
DrScrabs
Hazard to Others

Mood: Still evaporating..

[*] posted on 26-3-2019 at 13:20

Quote:

I'm completely new to the chemistry. [...]My plan is building a simple carbon monoxide generator.

Don´t do it. No more words.
There are just a few things I am more afraid than CO.
Every newspaper article I read about CO is someone(s) killing themselves [inside] is with CO, it also can happen outside beacouse of the high affinity of CO to hemoglobin.

What reaction do you need it for?
Maybe there is a substitution for CO?

Please give us more information.

Edit: understanding

[Edited on 26-3-2019 by DrScrabs]
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 26-3-2019 at 14:38

Making CO is definitely not a suitable experiment for a beginner. I don't think you should do this. If you do, you absolutely must have a CO detector and work in a well-ventilated space. Otherwise, you could easily die.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-3-2019 at 19:54

As someone who has had CO poisoning more than once I can say it's a very sneaky fucker and it isn't detected until it's too late.get a co detector or do it outside if you do it inside you'll probably end up with some mild symptoms no matter how good your ventilation or washing/ scrubbing setup.the first sign of co symptoms are shortness of breath and a light throbbing/headachy feeling, struggling to get a decent breath and a pounding migraine follow and getting away from the source and breathing fresh air is the only thing you can do if you don't want to choke to death.if you get to this point with a large scale setup inside your Gunna have to go back in their at
Some point to turn it off and take it apart. What are you making co for anyway you can buy little cylinder s of it for whipping cream (the source of my first co poisoning experience).
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-3-2019 at 20:03

What are you using it for anyway? synthesis or poisoning someone? :-P
(That's a little smiley with the tongue hanging out implying a joke)
;-)

[Edited on 27-3-2019 by draculic acid69]
ciprofloxacin
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-3-2019 at 21:13

@Sulaiman @DrScrabs @Metacelsus @Draculic acid69

I don’t have any enemy :D I won’t kill anybody, don’t worry please. Even If I wanted, I would use other methods.

I want to do it because It’s fun. I know all the safety rules, or the dangers of CO poisoning, no worry here as well.

I will build it at outside my home.

[Edited on 27-3-2019 by ciprofloxacin]
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 26-3-2019 at 21:48

Doug's Lab demonstrates a procedure on his YT channel. You could look that up. There are others too.

This is not something to be trifled with. And the vague-ness of your question as well as the fact that you are a beginner does not inspire confidence. I don't care how much you state that you are aware of the dangers. You don't know what you don't know.

Do a ton of research. And get experience on simpler, safer stuff. After both of those, maybe think of trying this on a small scale.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 27-3-2019 at 00:35

Quote: Originally posted by draculic acid69  
What are you using it for anyway? synthesis or poisoning someone?
This kind of posting is not appreciated here! With this kind of remarks you are like the chemophobes out there, who qualm at every suggestion to make a somewhat more risky chemical.

It is OK to warn people about risks (e.g. in a way Sulaiman did) and try to let them think about alternatives. Insinuating about someone abusing the product is a no go over here. We are a chemistry and science forum and should not lower ourself to that kind of chemophobic whining.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 27-3-2019 at 00:47

@ciprofloxacin: I warned draculic acid69 about his attitude, but I also have a remark for you. This is your first post on sciencemadness. Nobody knows you. You tell that you're completely new to chemistry, and you ask for advice on synthesis of a compound, which has the potential to kill you if treated in the wrong way. So please understand the reluctance of others to provide you with details about this synthesis.

Doing something for fun is no bad reason for doing something, but it also is important to use common sense when doing something. Your post does not give us the impression you did investigate the risks of what you want to do. CO is insidious, because you cannot smell it, cannot see or feel it and have no way of knowing whether you are exposed to dangerous concentrations of the gas or not. So, I do not say you should not do it, but I do strongly advice you to investigate the process and its risks thoroughly and think twice before proceeding.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-3-2019 at 02:28

Meant it more as a joke than some chemophobic witch hunt.have a sense of humour youll live longer.next time I'll put a little smiley face with the tongue hanging out.
Just edited post to reflect this so chillax.

[Edited on 27-3-2019 by draculic acid69]
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-3-2019 at 03:23

If your still Gunna do this watch as many YouTube videos like the Doug's lab one as you can and get an understanding of the process and what equipment you'll need to do this safely and sensibly.also I gotta say co isn't really the kind of thing that most ppl would make for fun.its not really a fun chemical it's more for if you have a purpose for it.ie. reducing pdcl2 to pd.

Go To Top