Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: extracting compound from plant
ipwn
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-3-2019 at 20:49
extracting compound from plant

Hello,

whats the easiest methods to extract active compund from plants?
there is anything such as basic cheap equipment that can be used to perform it?

Thanks

[Edited on 27-3-2019 by ipwn]
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 26-3-2019 at 21:03

What plants? What extracts? What quantities? Why?

I find that tea bags work quite well for one kind of extraction and a stove-top coffee machine works well for another.
Some of my internal organs use remarkable chemical processes to extract narrowly-defined families of organic compounds from a mixed range of plant material.
ipwn
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-3-2019 at 21:16

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
What plants? What extracts? What quantities? Why?

I find that tea bags work quite well for one kind of extraction and a stove-top coffee machine works well for another.
Some of my internal organs use remarkable chemical processes to extract narrowly-defined families of organic compounds from a mixed range of plant material.

for example flower or leaves that you can buy on herbal store, small quantities...

this example are you refering to infusion? is this a extraction?
what examples can you give more?

what are the best extractions methods to get isolated compound?

[Edited on 27-3-2019 by ipwn]
ipwn
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-3-2019 at 21:23
natural compound and synthetic equivalent

Hello,

does anyone have a list of natural compounds and its synthetic equivalents?

which natural compounds its possible to synthesise?
any examples?

Thanks
j_sum1
Administrator
Threads Merged
26-3-2019 at 21:26
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 26-3-2019 at 21:27

<sigh>
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 27-3-2019 at 01:35

could look harsh but i'm trying to help (somehow)
you can get faster answers for you genetic questions using google, you'll find many topics related to what you asked. here is easier if you ask for precise topics or information, if you search in the board you will realize that you won't find many "how to make something without stuff?" or "how do i extract something from something else?", usually questions are similar to "i intended to extract caffeine from ground toasted beans, is it better to make first a strong coffee and extract then with an organic solvent (if so which is best for this purpose) or do i extract directly from the powder?"
from this question we can understand what are you doing, what's your problem, how we can advise for a better method.
your questions are so broad that we could talk for weeks, a search engine is more appropriate to this kind of questions, if you need critic thinking on a precise topic than thid is the right place

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-3-2019 at 04:35

Of course !!

Take a huuuuuge wooden vat
Fill it with grapes
Remove your shoes
Climb into the vat and stomp
Then stomp some more
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-3-2019 at 05:53

Being more specific about what you want to extract or what information you are looking for or what plants your thinking of will get you an answer but your vague and broad question will get you nothing but annoyed " be more specific" responses.
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-3-2019 at 05:59

Urrrrggghh. (Rubs temples with both hands and squints as if suffering headache)
That list would go on forever.you couldn't be more vague.be specific or ask Google instead.

brubei
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-3-2019 at 12:36

Quote: Originally posted by ipwn  
Hello,

any examples?

Thanks
try to get Saule wood (Salix babylonica).

It contains salicylic acid what is an old medicine. You can also buy pure salicylic acid on ebay/ or else to have a pure sample.

Thin layer chromatography is a really cheap and easy analytical tool that you may use to monitor your extraction efficiency. Simply buy TLC plate SilG 60A, methanol and 1~4W UV254nm light.

Same shit with caffein/coffe

With thin layer chromatography you can also observe almost ALL nutrients in foods, aminoacids, sugars, with a lots of fun and some toxic compounds.

[Edited on 27-3-2019 by brubei]

I'm French so excuse my language
ipwn
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-3-2019 at 15:26

Quote: Originally posted by brubei  
Hello,

any examples?

Thanks
try to get Saule wood (Salix babylonica).

It contains salicylic acid what is an old medicine. You can also buy pure salicylic acid on ebay/ or else to have a pure sample.

Thin layer chromatography is a really cheap and easy analytical tool that you may use to monitor your extraction efficiency. Simply buy TLC plate SilG 60A, methanol and 1~4W UV254nm light.

Same shit with caffein/coffe

With thin layer chromatography you can also observe almost ALL nutrients in foods, aminoacids, sugars, with a lots of fun and some toxic compounds.

[Edited on 27-3-2019 by brubei]

this example you refer its basic or easy to synthesise?
can you tell me basic or easy synthesise processes?

which ones can be made using basic or few equipment and easy steps?
any practical example, guide or video?

Thanks

Assured Fish
Hazard to Others

Mood: Misanthropic

[*] posted on 27-3-2019 at 22:32

Hmm, let me try.

In order to carry out any level of organic synthesis or extraction you must first gain an understanding of the basic fundamentals of chemistry, such as acids and bases, stoichiometry, equilibrium and redox reactions.
From there you would have a simple enough understanding to direct yourself through the literature and academia (in theory).
Quote:

All of them, or most depending on how much effort you are willing to go through.
You would learn about this in organic chemistry, and how the only difference between a synthetically made compound and a natural equivalent of the same compound is the impurities.

Look, its clear you have a desire to learn about how to extract and dabble with organic molecules but without any level of understanding of the subject you are interested in, you simply cannot, so start there.
To be honest i wouldn't even try reading any recipes if i were you as they will just go over your head with sentences like 'the extracts were combined and decolored over activated carbon and then basified to a ph of between 8-9 and extracted 3 times with trichloromethane, the remaining solvent was then evaporated under vacuum and the residue dried in a desiccator overnight'.

So, go read a book.

Sufficiently advanced science is indistinguishable from madness.
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-3-2019 at 04:17

Ease of synthesis depends on skill.
Someone not skilled enough to use Google will probably not know which way to hold a test tube.
itsafineday
Hazard to Self

Mood: Feelin groovy

[*] posted on 29-3-2019 at 03:05

Check out Chemplayers videos on Bitchute.com or Doug's Lab, Nurd Rage or Red Nile on youtube. Crash Course Chemistry is excellent. I also recommend the Organic Chemistry Tutors' Overview video. It's a four hour intro to organic chemistry and good to view after the crash course series. This vid is good at limiting the scope of what you need to learn AND it starts to illuminate the thinking behind synthesis.

It is a very worthwhile subject and filled with lots of opportunities to increase your understanding of the world and the tools used to manipulate us.

A distillation rig and filtration set are a great start for glassware. The kitchen area of big box stores has the equivalent of watch glasses, crystalization dishes, hot water baths, funnels etc.

We should be nicer about poor questions. I have questions I haven't asked simply because of the response I got when I first asked a question here.
[Edited on 29-3-2019 by itsafineday]

[Edited on 29-3-2019 by itsafineday]
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 29-3-2019 at 04:16

Quote: Originally posted by itsafineday  

We should be nicer about poor questions. I have questions I haven't asked simply because of the response I got when I first asked a question here.

yea we should be nicer, but to people that seem to listen to the answers, the problem with ipwn is persistance, he wrote 4 or 5 threads in just a few hours, without listening to our comments.
i get that not everyone has questions as long as RogueRose's questions, but asking for really wide and general questions hardly gets any answers, becahse it's pretty impossible, so a sane person would ask for more information, and when you still get general and wide answers you simply get frustrated, annoyed or angry

feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 29-3-2019 at 04:47

The username, I Pwn makes it pretty obvious this is a troll. There is nothing to suggest any willingness to invest any effort into finding answers to the questions - or even a willingness to clarify questions or make them more specific.

A new discussion on plant extracts and methodology would be good. But these several threads are not a good start point.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
29-3-2019 at 12:47
ipwn
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-4-2019 at 20:21

The username, I Pwn makes it pretty obvious this is a troll. There is nothing to suggest any willingness to invest any effort into finding answers to the questions - or even a willingness to clarify questions or make them more specific.

A new discussion on plant extracts and methodology would be good. But these several threads are not a good start point.

here there is no troll just someone who wants to learn more..
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 27-4-2019 at 20:32

OK. But if you want a useful answer you need to ask a specific question.
I invite you to re-read this thread, consider what various people have said, and to rephrase your question so thar you can get the desired information.
[moderator hat off]
WangleSpong5000
Hazard to Others

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 07:31

Question is too broad although steam distillation is the way to go depending on the plant

Hyperbole be thy name
khourygeo77
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-5-2019 at 14:58

Try hydrodistillation to make oils. But you would need a distillation setup though

You can extract chlorophyll for example , all you have to do is soak the herb in ethanol and wait until the solution goes green. Some other compounds will be extracted in the process. If you leave it long enough you will get a tincture.

You can also extract oils from plant matter. To do that, you can use basic substances (bicarbonate soda) or non polar solvents like hexane, heptane, pentane...

You can also make an infusion by soaking herbs in water and adding a preservative.

You can soak herbs in vegetable oil to extract some fragrant compounds from flowers and get a well smelling oil

You can make an extract by dissolving in a certain solvent like alcohol then evaporating the alcohol on low heat. The rest at the bottom is considered an extract or absolute.

You can make wine by fermenting plant matter that have sugar like fruits/fruit juices and then vinegar.

You can make ethanol by fermenting fruits/fruit juices and then perform fractional distillation on a common hotplate

I think there are enough choices cited here.

[Edited on 2-5-2019 by khourygeo77]

Go To Top