Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Purification of sodium chlorate (removal of sodium chloride)
mysteriusbhoice
Hazard to Others

Member Is Online

Mood: Became chemistry catboy Vtuber Nyaa

[*] posted on 7-6-2020 at 04:41

I have a very effective method to do this but it is rather long.
you can use an ultrasonic humidifier or a simple humidifier and aquarium air pump to pump humid air to mixture of NaClO3 and NaCl the chlorate will dissolve leaving the NaCl undissolved.
you want to occasionally remove any free liquid to expose more salt and to allow better diffusion into the solid.
a temperature difference also helps where air pump + NaClO3 mix is in a colder room or the humidifier is hot.
repeat till no more standing liquid forms and the remaining salt is NaCl.
the liquid will be pure NaClO3 solution with very little NaCl which is not hygroscopic then you can simply boil down the liquid and filter the salt.
caterpillar
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-6-2020 at 12:24

Quote: Originally posted by mysteriusbhoice  
you can use an ultrasonic humidifier or a simple humidifier and aquarium air pump to pump humid air to mixture of NaClO3 and NaCl the chlorate will dissolve leaving the NaCl undissolved.
you want to occasionally remove any free liquid to expose more salt and to allow better diffusion into the solid.
a temperature difference also helps where air pump + NaClO3 mix is in a colder room or the humidifier is hot.
the liquid will be pure NaClO3 solution with very little NaCl which is not hygroscopic then you can simply boil down the liquid and filter the salt.

maybe water steam will work faster?

Women are more perilous sometimes, than any hi explosive.
mysteriusbhoice
Hazard to Others

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 30-6-2020 at 23:31

Quote: Originally posted by caterpillar  
Quote: Originally posted by mysteriusbhoice  

maybe water steam will work faster?

essentially I have a funnel with filter made of microfiber cloth attached to the bottom of a walled vessel.
humidity is applied from the top and no steam may not be a good idea because you need vapor that is in equilibrium with temperature of the seperation chamber.
You can however use an ultrasonic humidifier and pump with some sort of a reflux to ensure no water spills over and have a hose leading to the top of the apparatus.
essentially the humidifier will cause any sodium chlorate to go in solution but not chloride and that solution trickles down till it gets fully seperated out and you could if you wanted pull a vacuum since microfiber cloth is an amazing filter that is reusable and doesnt degrade.

[Edited on 1-7-2020 by mysteriusbhoice]
mysteriusbhoice
Hazard to Others

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-7-2020 at 02:54

I have a picture of my chlorate recovery tower.
I use it after fractional crystalization to pull out any remaining chlorate.
If you live in a country with high humidity and temperature then this setup will be faster.
You can also use a humidifier + demister(sponge) to put hot humid air though the setup ensuring temperature stays constant to prevent condensation from forming which could cause NaCl to dissolve.
using that setup you can lazily just evaporate your cell contents and plock it all in a large version of this and play the waiting game while you do other things.
this is from my old dirty batches with chromates and all this will be precipitated out using potassium salt.
If you use chromates either remove them first or dont use them and instead just use CaCl2 pH control in your run since it wont contaminate your batch and works better as an additive to your cell anyway.

Ctower1.jpg - 3.3MB Ctower2.jpg - 2.9MB

[Edited on 8-7-2020 by mysteriusbhoice]
ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-6-2022 at 21:07

I wanted to look this up to find some more info on chlorate purification.

As LL mentioned. Acetone is good for cleaning perchlorates from chlorates. I tried his heat method, I think it may have failed for me due to the impurities of my sodium chlorate.

That tower looks very nice. I think I might want to build something like it. I have small air pumps, but not a humidifier.

Anyone here have experimented with using ethanol or methanol to purify chlorates?
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top