Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: alcohol free beer
aeacfm
Hazard to Others

Mood: chem

[*] posted on 26-10-2010 at 03:04
alcohol free beer

simply ,
can we reach with alcohol content in beer to ZERO % ?
i am talking from applied , commercial points of view ?

Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 26-10-2010 at 03:28

If beer would have no alcohol, then it wouldn't be beer ;)
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 26-10-2010 at 03:46

There are quite a few alcohol free beers on the market.
They are generally made by fermenting out a low alcohol beer, say 2-3.5% ABV, the alcohol is then removed by reverse osmosis.
There may be some residual alcohol in the beer, say 0.1% but this can be ignored for practical purposes. Very ripe grapes, etc may contain very small amounts of alcohol.
bquirky
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-10-2010 at 05:02

sounds as refreshing as a water free shower :)
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 26-10-2010 at 06:39

It sounds like the OP is looking for beer he is allowed to drink for Muslim reasons. I looked on google and there is an Egyptian company called Al Ahram Beverages Company that makes non-alcoholic beer, that should be halal enough.

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
aeacfm
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-10-2010 at 07:08

Quote: Originally posted by mr.crow  
It sounds like the OP is looking for beer he is allowed to drink for Muslim reasons. I looked on google and there is an Egyptian company called Al Ahram Beverages Company that makes non-alcoholic beer, that should be halal enough.

aha , you get what i want
i want to know if that what it buy to us is alcohol free or not ?
i think in any case alcohol must generated due to fermentation !!!

i am talking about zero%

[Edited on 26-10-2010 by aeacfm]

aeacfm
Hazard to Others

cool.gif posted on 26-10-2010 at 07:30

Quote: Originally posted by bquirky  
sounds as refreshing as a water free shower :)

not every water shower is refreshing

:cool:

[Edited on 26-10-2010 by aeacfm]

ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 26-10-2010 at 08:32

It seems that you can make a totally alcohol free beer but it should be noted that a lot are just very low in alcohol.
You could drink litres without becoming intoxicated at all, here is a representative selection;

http://www.alcoholfree.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=2_12&...
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 26-10-2010 at 09:14

Quote:

aha , you get what i want i want to know if that what it buy to us is alcohol free or not ? i think in any case alcohol must generated due to fermentation !!! i am talking about zero%

Please note that "0%" is something that is next to impossible with ANYTHING. Even the most analytically pure chemicals contain greater than 0% of contaminants. Even things like milk, bread, potato chips etc... are likely to contain at least one molecule of EtOH. Why? Think of how many atoms there are. Now think of how many molecules. These billions of different organic molecules are interacting with eachother millions of times a second. It seems to me that if there are ethyl, ethylene, ethyne etc... groups present (and O2), there will be at least one molecule of EtOH. Am I right on this?

Actually, it is likely that if Islam doesn't allow the intake of ANY EtOH you and probably every other Muslim is violating this every day. What is the punishment for this? Would this cause a genocide?

http://www.atmos-chem-phys-discuss.net/10/925/2010/acpd-10-9...

Attachment: Atmospheric Ethanol Budget.pdf (876kB)
This file has been downloaded 684 times

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 26-10-2010 at 10:12

You need to drink a lot of ethanol to feel it, at which point you have been "poisoned". One beer will have ~17mL of ethanol in it, and you could easily drink over 100mL of EtOH in a night and the liver will take care of it nicely. Depending on your heritage of course, my liver was evolved in Scotland and Eastern Europe ;)

I did another google search and Islam prohibits being intoxicated and therefore intoxicating substances even in moderation.

I claim that alcohol free beer is not intoxicating so it will be OK to drink. I'm sure you can find an Imam that will agree with this.

Just like how Aspartame has methanol in it but is non-toxic, or how poppy seed bagels have morphine in them. Decaff coffee has caffiene but won't get you wired, etc.

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-10-2010 at 11:57

As a previous post noted, even grapes have some alcohol, as does bread.
I won't get into the differences between consuming trace amounts of alcohol, and 100% alcohol free vegetable products, if there is such a thing.

It appears you won't be drinking any beer.

I wonder if vegetarians worry about bugs and bacteria in their food? ;)
Vogelzang
Banned

[*] posted on 26-10-2010 at 12:32

I bought alcohol free brew a lot of times. The word "beer" can't be found on any of the bottles, but it does come in bottles that look a lot like beer bottles and they come in 6 packs. They taste similar to beer, but the alcohol taste isn't there. Its almost like watered down beer with more flavor.
psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 26-10-2010 at 15:19

You've got more alcohol in your body than is made by fermentation of 'zero' alc beer ;)

I understand your predicament though, but unfortunately with the scientific knowledge that we have now (that wasn't around in such depth as when the rules were written), we now know that fermentation and alcohol production is pretty unavoidable.

That said, if your reasons for zero alcohol are for Allah, then I'm sure He'll be proud of you for being considerate and thoughtful. Many Muslim folk I know who live here in NZ, a western country, have encountered times when they have done something that Allah would disapprove of. The point being that they didn't know, and apologised profusely... or sometimes it was a case of there not being an alternative. Much better than just being an arsehole and drinking vodka off a pig with your left hand (unfortunately I know some people who would do that and not see the problem with it, while still claiming to be devout).

So really, an alcohol free beer that had alcohol as a part of production is probably the best you can get. At least you try :)

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 26-10-2010 at 15:56

In the Netherlands there is a company, Bavaria, who has invented a way to produce "beer" without having alcohol in it at any point. They sell it as 0% Bavaria.

I don't know the method they use but it probably pops up using Google.

zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 26-10-2010 at 16:25

I'm in the US. Here, non-alcoholic beer does contain a small amount of ethanol.

Enough alcohol, that some doctors suggest that folks with liver problems should eschew NA beer completely.

An Arab acquaintance, once conveyed to me, that NA beer is considered OK in most of the Arab world.

It might not pass muster in Mecca, but it would be considered a reasonable way to wet your whistle in Abba Dabi.

At any rate, the better NA beers, taste pretty good. In contrast, NA wine, is markedly inferior in taste, to drinking your own urine.
aeacfm
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-10-2010 at 21:26

Quote: Originally posted by MagicJigPipe  

Please note that "0%" is something that is next to impossible with ANYTHING. Even the most analytically pure chemicals contain greater than 0% of contaminants. Even things like milk, bread, potato chips etc... are likely to contain at least one molecule of EtOH. Why? Think of how many atoms there are. Now think of how many molecules. These billions of different organic molecules are interacting with eachother millions of times a second. It seems to me that if there are ethyl, ethylene, ethyne etc... groups present (and O2), there will be at least one molecule of EtOH. Am I right on this?

Actually, it is likely that if Islam doesn't allow the intake of ANY EtOH you and probably every other Muslim is violating this every day. What is the punishment for this? Would this cause a genocide?

you said what i believe in , as previuosly i said no free alcohol like that no smart ideal thing.

aeacfm
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-10-2010 at 22:03

Quote: Originally posted by mr.crow  
You need to drink a lot of ethanol to feel it, at which point you have been "poisoned". One beer will have ~17mL of ethanol in it, and you could easily drink over 100mL of EtOH in a night and the liver will take care of it nicely. Depending on your heritage of course, my liver was evolved in Scotland and Eastern Europe ;)

I did another google search and Islam prohibits being intoxicated and therefore intoxicating substances even in moderation.

I claim that alcohol free beer is not intoxicating so it will be OK to drink. I'm sure you can find an Imam that will agree with this.

Just like how Aspartame has methanol in it but is non-toxic, or how poppy seed bagels have morphine in them. Decaff coffee has caffiene but won't get you wired, etc.

you must see driving limits in europe it is lower than what you said

http://www.safetravel.co.uk/EuropeDrinkDrivingLimits.html

the driver said to be intoxicated if he exceed these limits , this is the first
the other thing you can read more about the effect of alcohol ;

http://www.britishlivertrust.org.uk/home/the-liver/liver-dis...

have a nice day
:D

[Edited on 27-10-2010 by aeacfm]

aeacfm
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-10-2010 at 22:15

Quote: Originally posted by psychokinetic  
You've got more alcohol in your body than is made by fermentation of 'zero' alc beer ;)

I understand your predicament though, but unfortunately with the scientific knowledge that we have now (that wasn't around in such depth as when the rules were written), we now know that fermentation and alcohol production is pretty unavoidable.

That said, if your reasons for zero alcohol are for Allah, then I'm sure He'll be proud of you for being considerate and thoughtful. Many Muslim folk I know who live here in NZ, a western country, have encountered times when they have done something that Allah would disapprove of. The point being that they didn't know, and apologised profusely... or sometimes it was a case of there not being an alternative. Much better than just being an arsehole and drinking vodka off a pig with your left hand (unfortunately I know some people who would do that and not see the problem with it, while still claiming to be devout).

So really, an alcohol free beer that had alcohol as a part of production is probably the best you can get. At least you try :)

thank you for your Respectable reply
that is the reason why i ask ? it is for Allah ?why not ?Allah worth more than this many times ...
about these people if they cant find the alternative the can drink schweppes
;)

aeacfm
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-10-2010 at 22:30

Quote: Originally posted by zed  
I'm in the US. Here, non-alcoholic beer does contain a small amount of ethanol.

Enough alcohol, that some doctors suggest that folks with liver problems should eschew NA beer completely.

An Arab acquaintance, once conveyed to me, that NA beer is considered OK in most of the Arab world.

It might not pass muster in Mecca, but it would be considered a reasonable way to wet your whistle in Abba Dabi.

At any rate, the better NA beers, taste pretty good. In contrast, NA wine, is markedly inferior in taste, to drinking your own urine.

Mecca has its own products which are Halal

psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 27-10-2010 at 00:25

I'd be interested to know if there are any non-alcoholic beers sold in Mecca, and if so, what the general take on the potential alcohol content is.

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
bquirky
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-10-2010 at 01:06

Surely there is ethanol produced inside the body in measurable amounts regardless of what you eat or drink. Ive heared numerous times that accatone is one of the chemicals in bad breath.

If the rule is don't drink alcoholic beverages then surley trying to get around it by drinking deliberatly reduced alcohol beer is against the 'spirit' (no pun intended) if not the letter of the rule

an irelivent but amusing point is that a homeopath whould argue that the water can 'remember' that it has been in contact with alcohol.
aeacfm
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-10-2010 at 02:41

Quote: Originally posted by psychokinetic  
I'd be interested to know if there are any non-alcoholic beers sold in Mecca, and if so, what the general take on the potential alcohol content is.

like what i write above Mecca has its own beverage's products
they are like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mecca-Cola
but about the beer i dont know much about it

thanks again

zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 27-10-2010 at 07:12

Hey, the nifty beverage to drink during a visit to Mecca, comes from the ancient well near the Kaaba.

Reputedly, Zem Zem (or Zam Zam) has never failed, since its discovery 4000 years ago.

According to legend, it dates from the time of Abraham. It is alluded to, in The Old Testament, but perhaps not by name.

Ramiel
Vicious like a ferret

Mood: Semi-demented

[*] posted on 27-10-2010 at 07:53

As an Australian, I find this whole thread offensive.

I'm glad that you asked this questions at scimadness, where we are all impartial men (and women) of science. I'm afraid that if you'd asked at a beer brewing site you'd be shouted out.

But seriously, could you just brew the malt flavoured drink in aerobic conditions? Yeast only produces alcohol in anaerobic conditions as far as I know.

I don't know if you've brewed before, but this aerobic environment will be extremely difficult to maintain: you will need to constantly percolate air or oxygen containing medium through and this air must be perfectly sterile. Sterility (save for the yeasties) is the most important factor in a tasty beer I reckon. How about a lightly oxidising salt? I can't think of one which won't oxidise the crap out of the rest of the brew.

Unfortunately, oxidation of beer gives it a distinctly wet-cardboard flavour or so I have found (not to mention the acetic acid, which you will not be troubled with, there being no alcohol to start with!).

Caveat Orator
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-10-2010 at 08:39

The fermentation under anaerobic conditions does not just produce alcohol and carbon dioxide but also modifies the brew in a lot of other ways to produce taste components.
One of the big Science Squirrel Labs projects is a working 9 Imperial gallon ( 41 litre ) microbrewery which includes a 60 litre boiler and a 45 litre mash tun.
I am planning on posting some photos in the my lab section some time. :D
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top