Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: zinc peroxide
otonel
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-10-2010 at 12:01
zinc peroxide

I want to make zinc peroxide from zinc oxide
My problem is to oxidizing zinc oxide to zinc peroxide, I read on the internet that can be make with a reaction between zinc oxide and hydrogen peroxide but i don`t have concentrated hydrogen peroxide.
Can I use bleach (sodium hypochlorite) instead of hydrogen peroxide?
I want to use zinc peroxide in priming explosive mixture.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-10-2010 at 12:12

No.
psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 27-10-2010 at 12:20

Sodium hypochlorite doesn't liberate oxygen.

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
otonel
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 27-10-2010 at 12:42

Ok thanks!
But how I can concentrate hydrogen peroxide 3% to 20-30%, I want to use hydrogen peroxide use in hair painting but is a gel
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-10-2010 at 13:01

There are several threads that include discussions on concentrating dilute H2O2. Try the search engine, or search via Google using a site: restriction.

Fairly concentrated H2O2 can be prepared by treating a thick suspension of zinc peroxide with H2S, then filter off the ZnS formed.

Surely there are better alternative primers than peroxide based ones, even inorganic peroxides. Just because there is a patent on something doesn't mean it is practical.

The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-10-2010 at 15:30

Quote: Originally posted by otonel  
I want to make zinc peroxide from zinc oxide

Passing by ... it do be stated in Volume 5 page 530-31 that
by reacting zink hydroxide w/ H2O2 at 0o C Thernard (1818) obtained
a gelatinous mass that gives off oxygen slowly at ordinary
temperatures. Someone else used a zink sulphate sodium hydroxide
H2O2. JF Eijkman boiled a soln of zink sulphate which had
been treated with enough aq. ammonia to dissolved the
precipitate first formed, with 30% hydrogen peroxide producing
a pale-yellow precipitate which exploded when heated to to
about 212o C and burned with a "dazzling light" when mixed
with aluminium or zink powder.

What one got by reacting zink oxide and H2O2 .... was unsettled
at the time of la books writing.
Blasty
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-10-2010 at 00:30

Ok thanks!
But how I can concentrate hydrogen peroxide 3% to 20-30%

According to Thorpe, the most you can concentrate commercial solutions of hydrogen peroxide by the simple method of evaporation is about 20%, after that you need more complex procedures and apparatus:

"The commercial solutions can be concentrated to 95-99 p.c. by evaporating in air at 75° to 20 p.c. strength , then in vacuo to 50-55 p.c, after which it is treated with ether, in which the peroxide is readily soluble. The ethereal extract is then carefully distilled and fractionated in vacuo (Wolffenstein, Ber. 1894, 27, 3307 ; Staedel, Zeitsch. angew. Chem. 1902, 15, 642; Tyrer, L.c. ; Merck, L.c); also by distilling the solutions at a temperature below 85° in a powerful current of an inert gas (D. R. P. 219154)." - Thomas Thorpe, "A Dictionary of Applied Chemistry", Volume III, page 554 (1922 edition)
otonel
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 28-10-2010 at 03:47

I think if I heating hydrogen peroxide in a oil bath at 75*C an use a vacuum cleaner to make vacuum in boiling container can concentrate hydrogen peroxide to 55% strenght. It`s right?
Or if i boiled a solution of hydrogen peroxide 3% mixed with zinc oxide the hydrogen peroxide will concentrate and oxidize zinc oxide to zinc peroxide
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-10-2010 at 09:50

Quote: Originally posted by psychokinetic  

Actually, it does.

But that doesn't matter in this case- it still won't make peroxides. In fact hypochlorites react with peroxides and destroy them.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-10-2010 at 09:55

A vacuum cleaner pulls very little vacuum, you need a water aspirator range of vacuum. Best not to true to do it in one step with the ZnO in the dilute peroxide as that may catalyse decomposition of the peroxide long before it becomes concentrated much. I doubt you can get it much above 50%, but that's strong enough for your needs and much higher concentrations of H2O2 can be rather exciting at times - calculate the amount of oxygen per cc (for H2O2 => H2O + [O]) and compare that to the amount of oxygen in a cc of air.

The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-10-2010 at 10:31

Quote: Originally posted by The WiZard is In  

JF Eijkman boiled a soln of zink sulphate which had
The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-10-2010 at 10:38

Quote: Originally posted by The WiZard is In  

JF Eijkman boiled a soln of zink sulphate which had

H2O2 and zink hydroxide seem to be the preferred method,
however.....

Peroxide Preparations; Manufacture of . R. Wolf-
fenstein, Berlin. Eng. Pat. 754, Jan. 11,1901. Solution of a zinc salt, such as zinc sulphate, super saturated with ammonia, is treated with hydrogen peroxide in slight excess, when zinc peroxide slowly separates, and may be filtered off after a few days. By adding a fixed alkali to the solution with the peroxide, sufficient to cause complete precipitation, a basic zinc peroxide is obtained, and may be dried as a stable powder, capable of yielding "as much peroxide oxygen as corresponds to a 25 per cent, solution of hydrogen peroxide." Very dilute solutions of H2O2 may be used in the process. Magnesium peroxide and its compounds are similarly obtained. If it be desired to obtain the zinc peroxide, for instance, in a finely-divide form, alumina may be precipitated with the peroxide; t the ready-formed zinc peroxide may be dissolved in an acid or in an alcohol in which an aluminium salt is. dissolved, and the peroxide and the alumina may be I precipitated together by an alkali.—E. S.

USP 740 832 of 1903

Zink chloride and barium peroxide.

Zink oxide and H2O2 does not yield pure zink peroxide. See
Mellor's opus [among others] for details.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-10-2010 at 09:39

Ah - that sounds as if it may be useful for the originator of the thread, as it gets around the concentration issue.

psychokinetic
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-10-2010 at 17:27

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
Quote: Originally posted by psychokinetic  

Actually, it does.

But that doesn't matter in this case- it still won't make peroxides. In fact hypochlorites react with peroxides and destroy them.

Oh. Might I sidestep and ask how?

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-10-2010 at 18:19

How? A well known reaction that produces singlet oxygen and several transitory radicals

basic reaction
ClO<sup>-</sup> + H2O2= Cl<sup>-</sup> + H2O + O2

Chemistry of singlet oxygen. IV. Oxygenations with hypochlorite-hydrogen peroxide
J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1968, 90 (4), pp 975–981
DOI: 10.1021/ja01006a023

Determination of the Stoichiometry of the Hydrogen Peroxide–Sodium Hypochlorite Reaction Using Gas Pressure Sensors
The Chemical Educator
August, 2006 pp 254-256
DOI 10.1333/s00897061037a

Kinetics of the reaction between hydrogen peroxide and hypochlorite
doi:10.1016/S0011-9164(98)00034-4

Hydroxyl radical from the reaction between hypochlorite and hydrogen peroxide
Atmospheric Environment
Volume 42, Issue 26, August 2008, Pages 6551-6554
doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2008.04.029

Reaction paths for production of singlet oxygen from hydrogen peroxide and hypochlorite
Chemical Physics Letters
Volume 425, Issues 1-3, 3 July 2006, Pages 40-43
doi:10.1016/j.cplett.2006.04.097
Quote:
The mechanism for production of singlet oxygen from hydrogen peroxide and hypochlorite in aqueous solution is studied omputationally. Geometries of various complexes and transition states are found by quantum mechanical geometry optimizations of the species in gas phase. The activation energies pertaining to the mechanism in aqueous solution are estimated using the isodensity polarized continuum method at various levels of theory up to CCSD//B3LYP/6-311+G(d,p). Three reaction paths have been identified: two with a single transition state and one involving two transition states and a H2O3 intermediate. The latter path has the smallest activation energy.

Also
Physical Mechanisms of Generation and Deactivation of Singlet Oxygen
Chem. Rev., 2003, 103 (5), pp 1685–1758
DOI: 10.1021/cr010371d

psychokinetic
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-10-2010 at 20:33

I feel silly now, as that's really rather logical.

-Tesla
otonel
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 02:25

You speak with me from the books, I don`t have chemical materials used in books, so I make chemicals from household chemicals.
I concentrated hydrogen peroxide with boiling process and i make zinc peroxide,but I don`t how pure is.
My next chemistry research :) is to concentrate peroxide hydrogen solution with help an refrigerator, I want to make a saturated solution of hydrogen peroxide with table salt to lowered freeezing point for water.
I don`t know what is the solubility of table salt in hygrogen peroxide, if the salt is almost insoluble in hydrogen peroxide I can separate that from water like ice cristal
Freezing point of saturated solution water-salt is behind -20*C.
Can do that or is just a foolish?
The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 11:49

My next chemistry research :) is to concentrate peroxide hydrogen solution with help an refrigerator, I want to make a saturated solution of hydrogen peroxide with table salt to lowered freeezing point for water.

Try US Patent 2 724 640.

Byda instruction form bumping up 30% H2O2 to 98 and 100%
H2O2 dobe in Brauer. La book is in the Madness that science
can often be
- library.

Apparently on an industrial scale freezing is only used to increase
the concentration of 50-70% peroxide. [K&O 3rd 13:24]

daragh8008
Hazard to Self

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 12-11-2010 at 13:14

Hi does any one have any ideas on the physical and chemical properties of Zinc peroxide. Does it dissolve in anything etc. Just wondering because I'd love to try this material as a precursor to ZnO. I would imagine the optical properties of the ZnO derived from a peroxide would be fantastic. ie very few Oxygen vacancies.

thanks
Sciencevamos
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-1-2014 at 20:40

What about ZnCl2+H2O2???
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 6-2-2014 at 16:23

Quote: Originally posted by Sciencevamos  
What about ZnCl2+H2O2???

Here is but a small extract from Atomistry.com on ZnO2 on a much larger discussion of Zinc peroxide based on extracts from the literature (link: http://zinc.atomistry.com/zinc_peroxide.html ), which the reader should note includes dated research:

"Thenard obtained an incompletely peroxidised oxide of zinc by (a) dissolving zinc hydroxide in hydrochloric acid containing hydrogen peroxide and precipitating with an alkali hydroxide; (b) acting on gelatinous zinc hydroxide with hydrogen peroxide. "

Now, Zn(OH)2 + [2 HCl + 2 H2O2] is, in my opinion, not necessarily the same as ZnCl2 (aq) + H2O2. The reason is due to the unspecified concentration of the HCl in question, for one, as for dilute HCl:

HCl (dilute) + H2O2 --> HOCl + H2O

This reaction is cited by Watt's as one of several preparations for Hypochlorous acid. To quote from "Watts' Dictionary of chemistry", page 16. "—6. Addition of H2O2 Aq (containing 2.45 p.c. H2O2) to a large excess of Cl Aq produces HClOAq, according to Fairley (B. A. 1874, 57); if much H202 is added, the HClO Aq is decomposed forming HCl Aq, H20, and evolving O." Link: http://books.google.com/books?pg=PA13&dq=Watt+preparatio...

But, with concentrate HCl, the interaction of HCl and Hypochlorous acid forms chlorine water:

HCl + HOCl = Cl2 + H2O (see http://books.google.com/books?id=zVIpX7rkk7oC&pg=PA15&am... )

In addition, with respect to the ZnCl2, if subject to concentration by evaporation, for example, the products could include say, ZnCl2.ZnO, but based on recent work, more correctly, a tetrabasic zinc chloride, ZnCl2.4Zn(OH)2.H2O (see Wikipedia article on Zinc chloride hydroxide at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_chloride_hydroxide_monohyd... ). My speculation is that perhaps the later compound, upon be reacted upon by the H2O2 or HOCl, may be the source of the ZnO2.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is another source, previously quoted in part below and also somewhat dated, available at http://tera-3.ul.cs.cmu.edu/NASD/4dcb85c3-9fee-4c83-9e6d-fe6... to quote:

"J. F. Eijkman boiled a soln. of zinc sulphate, which had been treated with enough aq. ammonia to dissolve the precipitate first formed, with30 per cent, hydrogen peroxide. The pale-yellow granular precipitate is stable up to nearly 130°. It is soluble in aq. sodium hydroxide with the evolution of oxygen; it explodes when heated to about 212°"

[Edited on 7-2-2014 by AJKOER]
Brom
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 14-8-2015 at 13:38

I was quite surprised to find out that addition of 50% conc. H2O2 to zinc oxide after some bubbling and much heat seems to have produced pure zinc peroxide! I mixed some with Al powder and burned great. I realize that a lot of people don't have concentrated H2O2 to spare, but with it this substance could not be prepared more easily.
Brom
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 5-9-2015 at 13:23

Last night I mixed some zinc peroxide with aluminum powder and ignited it with KMnO4 and glycerin because I had some extra and it made I nice green color the first time I did it. This was the second time doing this but this time I used more. I didn't weigh it but I estimate it was about 60 grams. Well most surprisingly and unpleasently because I was kind of close with unprotected ears it exploded. I realize it had to be a deflagration but this would put any flash powder I have ever seen online to shame. Anybody have any ideas what happened? Any experience with this material?
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 7-9-2015 at 06:12

Quote: Originally posted by Brom  
Last night I mixed some zinc peroxide with aluminum powder and ignited it with KMnO4 and glycerin because I had some extra and it made I nice green color the first time I did it. This was the second time doing this but this time I used more. I didn't weigh it but I estimate it was about 60 grams. Well most surprisingly and unpleasently because I was kind of close with unprotected ears it exploded. I realize it had to be a deflagration but this would put any flash powder I have ever seen online to shame. Anybody have any ideas what happened? Any experience with this material?

A lot of mixes of reducer-oxidizer display a critical mass for self-confinement...then burning rate increases to deflagration ... and sometimes to detonation.

Mixing a peroxyde like ZnO2 with Al powder will be energetic...because of the heat of the thermite reaction, and because of the volatilisation of the zinc as a gas...
3 ZnO2(s) + 4 Al(s) --> 2 Al2O3(s) + 3 Zn(g) + heat
Zn(g) + 1/2O2 --> ZnO + heat (pale blue flame)

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
Brom
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 7-9-2015 at 19:28

I figured it was ZnO2+Al=Al2O3+ZnO(Not stochiometric). I have done the zinc oxide thermite and understand that reduces all the way to Zn but I thought the zinc Peroxide acted like a typical oxider losing oxygen to leave the oxide. And what I'm really interested in is if anyone else has tried this out. I totally should have expected something like what happened I just was having an ignorant moment I guess. But I was really surprised at how powerful it seemed.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top