Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reaction Products Help
jmneissa
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-11-2010 at 19:50
Reaction Products Help

Hey guys so I am investigating alkyl disulphides in my lab however today I did the reaction for the first time and got an unexpected result. My reaction was normal at first then started out gassing a white smoke. The reaction mechanism is shown below:

RSCN + KOH = (RS)2 + ?

This mixture is refluxed with ethanol. The mixture starts as a whitish yellow powder and then becomes a dark red liquid which from literature is to be expected. My question is though what is the byproduct(s) from this? Is it KCN + H2O2 or KOCN etc.... We shut down the reaction upon production of the white smoke for fear that this was hydrogen cyanide or some other highly poisonous gas and were not prepared to deal with it so aired on the side of caution. Thanks!
madscientist
National Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 9-11-2010 at 21:28

What was the temperature and pH of the reaction when the white smoke was observed? Was it produced in large quantities? What were the amounts of reactants used?

I weep at the sight of flaming acetic anhydride.
jmneissa
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-11-2010 at 05:59

The Reaction temperature was at 80 degrees C the pH was not measured and all compounds were pure so it should have been basic due tot the addition of the potassium hydroxide to the ethanol solution. The amount of reactants used were the calculated amounts without any excess. That was 12.13 g of RSCN and 1.67g of KOH in about 20 ml of ethanol (95% denatured with methanol)

[Edited on 10-11-2010 by jmneissa]
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 11-11-2010 at 10:32

Out of curiosity, what was the alkyl group (R)? Why are you leaving that info out?

Does anyone know the reaction mechanism of this?

Is it based off of abstraction of a proton from the alkyl group forming the carbanion?

Also, how could HCN be formed with a significant source of protons like an acid?

[Edited on 11-11-2010 by MagicJigPipe]

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
jmneissa
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-11-2010 at 20:19

That was my thought that HCN could not form because it was a basic solution. The alkyl group is a fluorocarbon I was just leaving it out since the size of the fluorocarbon is different for each test to study the effects under pressure so I was more asking in general what the reaction mechanism was.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 13-11-2010 at 21:28

I think the fact that it's an fluorocarbon makes quite a difference. In this way the mechanism probably could not be through the abstraction of a proton, because there would be no protons. Is it ALL fluorine (perfluoro)? I'm just curious as to the mechanism because I couldn't find it online.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
jmneissa
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-11-2010 at 11:36

Well no it was a perfluorohexyl ethyl molecule. My guess though was that since the molecule is treated as a group then shouldn't it just form KOCN because that is what we thought would be produced.

Go To Top