Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Security of reagent orders from chemical companies in this age of chemophobia, paranoia and the oppressive health and safety...
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 12-11-2010 at 18:00

Quote: Originally posted by anotheronebitesthedust  
Don't worry Entropy51, if I had spent 59 years believing bullshit propaganda, I probably wouldn't want to admit that it was in fact bullshit propaganda either. No one likes to admit they are dummies.
I don't think you know me well enough to call me a dummy, to be honest with you.
madscientist
National Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 12-11-2010 at 18:17

PCP is on the decline, yes. It has more to do with education than enforcement though: people are realizing what a nasty drug it is, choosing not to use it, thereby removing the economic incentive to produce and push it.

It seems its usage has receded to those who don't care at all about their health. Gang members are well known for this. Because of them and their "business model," PCP is still present in urban areas, and not at all hard to find.

Evidence that it's education and not enforcement that's led to a decline in PCP usage is found in the uninterrupted high availability of less hideously unpleasant drugs, such as cocaine, heroin, amphetamines, pot, etc.

I weep at the sight of flaming acetic anhydride.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 12-11-2010 at 19:31

Quote:

As far as I know, PCP is rarely encountered here nowadays. I have not heard of a PCP related murder in probably over 10 years. Something certainly had an effect.

Because correlation always implies causality...

You give one example, PCP. Obviously you have had some rough personal experiences with the effects of this drug (ever asked yourself if the mother would have stabbed her son anyway?) Drugs, even PCP, do not change the person on the deepest levels. Yes, it can make them mean, sadistic jerks (e.g. alcohol) but I believe it rarely causes crimes like murder wherein the person committing the crime would NEVER have even considered it before. Yes, maybe sex with ugly women, but typically not murder. It is apparent you have never "done drugs".

I also don't believe that law enforcement had much to do with the decline of PCP use. Ketamine, being similar, is still being used (although not often). Also, I believe cocaine is now at an all time high of use despite the best efforts of our officers (who, by the way, are also killed in large amounts due to this war). I just feel it is a bad sign when a government declares war on a HUGE segment of its constituency.

Why don't we just take all of those degenerate drug users and make some landfills out of them? That would surely get rid of the problem and then we could all finally live in peace.

[Edited on 11-13-2010 by MagicJigPipe]

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 12-11-2010 at 20:17

I have to disagree PCP is a drug that makes the person act like a schizophrinic and will degrade them on a deeper level. I have had experiances with it and where as I have not had any desire in the slightest to abuse it I can very well see how it could drive someone to murder someone they would not normally do so.

If someone was using this substance everyday you can bet there would be a mental decline so rapid that in a matter of a week there would be nothing left of them but psychosis. Its not hard to murder your best freind when you fully believe him to be some form of the walking dead or that in real life hes not really going to be hurt by it all. This is not your typical drug this is a complete disassociation from reality that could have some very serious consequences. Where as it may be amusing to someone with a scientific mind to walk in the shoes of a skitzo for a few hours simular to LSD generally it will take your sanity away much more permanet then LSD.

[edit]

BTW ... where yall high when you strayed this thread into a discussion on PCP? Seriously...

[Edited on 13-11-2010 by Sedit]

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-11-2010 at 22:49

Give evidence, please. Even anecdotal would be acceptable to me if it seems to make sense.

Here's a quote from Wikipedia:

Quote:

However, studies by the Drug Abuse Warning Network in the 1970s show that media reports of PCP-induced violence are greatly exaggerated and that incidents of violence were unusual and often (but not always) limited to individuals with reputations for aggression regardless of drug use.

But since some elitists don't trust Wikipedia ever, let's examine the source. Well, it's a book(?) BUT it seems to be a well respected source for this kind of information (A LOT of people reference it). Can anyone acquire this book in electronic format? One part of it is available on Springerlink but not the part that's referenced.

(A little bit about Wikipedia: Only a fool would not use Wikipedia for general information searching just because 1 out of 100 facts (arbitrary figure) might be wrong and usually you can tell if you're not completely out of touch with reality. I have gathered an unbelievable amount of knowledge from Wikipedia--perhaps even more than from school so far although it is much less systematic. In some ways I trust Wikipedia more than some of the journals I've been reading lately.)

This seems like exactly the thing people would say who lived during the time of PCP propaganda and indoctrination. I'm not saying that psychotic episodes don't happen with this drug but I suspect that entropy's and Sedit's views on this subject are greatly exaggerated because they lived during this time.

Quote:

BTW ... where yall high when you strayed this thread into a discussion on PCP? Seriously...

I'm high on life.

[Edited on 11-13-2010 by MagicJigPipe]

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
Sedit
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-11-2010 at 07:54

Nope sorry but I didn't live thru this PCP time and in all honesty MJD im pretty sure we are not so far from being the same age.

My views on it come from personal experiance with the substance and I just don't feel someone could retain there sanity very long using it on a regular basis. I do believe most of the storys about it are propaganda however, like people frying there babys or jumping out of windows thinking they could fly. The mental process it gives you are slightly different then that.

I remember someone after a single use of it, following a fat woman down the street who was waring a red dress, and yelling at the top of his lungs because she thought she was a giant stawberry. That same night at almost the same exact time his girlfreind was in the house with me flipping out because she thought her head was going to expload if she didn't here this song she wanted to hear but couldn't remember what it was. For me it induced time and space distortions that are hard to explain. I remember hearing someone walking down the street that I couldn't see from such a long distance away that its not even funny. I started to question what I was hearing until that person finilly walked into my view showing me that it was distorting what I heared making the faint sounds of walking sound as though someone was beating a drum in my ear. Sitting next to someone sleeping this whole time I constantly had conversation with them thruout the night hearing there voice even though they where not awake. Looking at there face it was impossible to tell if there eyes where open or closed.

Sorry but thats all about as anecdotal as it comes since I never researched it very much at all in years.

When it boils down to it though one has to ask the question if someone would already have to be highly disturbed to abuse this substance. That could explain the incidences attributed to it.

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
Gary
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-11-2010 at 12:39

Evidently, my query regarding the acquisition of lab specification reagents for legitimate amateur chemistry experimentation (intellectual entertainment) has become a discussion on illicit substances! :(
Sedit
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-11-2010 at 13:24

Yeh it is kind of sick that it happens all to often around here that if the word drugs are mentioned or if the avalibility of reagents due to drug manufacturing comes into play then the threads quickly detour onto there way to deterius.

I say keep your nose clean and your experiments legal along with proper storage and worse case senerio is you recieve a visit that even though you dont really want it won't be as bad as many fear.

hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 15-11-2010 at 13:26

If we're not taking drugs, we're talking drugs . . .

MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-11-2010 at 14:48

I do believe your stories. One question I have is whether or not they were taking JUST PCP. I'm curious as to why ketamine doesn't have similar effects.

Sedit, do you think that, even if you abused PCP quite often, you would've been able to kill someone on purpose? I think it is VERY rare where a drug changes someone so much that they kill when they normally wouldn't even have had the tendency. Sure, lowered inhibitions can cause some crazy person to actually do it, but if that's what we're talking about then most drugs could fall into that category, ESPECIALLY alcohol. But I think what we are debating is the complete change of someone's personality (i.e. from pretty normal to baby murderer). I just don't think it happens all too often.

About the discussion of drugs:

There's nothing wrong with it. It affects EVERYONE's life (especially the laws set out to deal with drugs, IMO), and it has a great effect on the hobby we all share. It makes sense to me that something that is so important should be discussed often. This is life and death; freedom and imprisonment. Discussion of drugs and drug laws should continue just as discussion of any other relevant issue should.

quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 15-11-2010 at 14:52

Whenever you alter the thinking process of a human being there is the POTENTIAL for a tragedy. Just as when some develops "road rage" from emotional imbalances, some become so romantically jealous they commit atrocities, the apha and omega is not necessarily a chemical. PCP, sniffing hydrocarbons, etc are all disgusting (IMO) but they are not the deepest contributor of the problem of horrific acts. With each example of a disgusting thing done under the influence; there would be equally horrific things committed stone sober.

The problems of interpersonal interaction are much deeper than a simplistic answer; be it the "war on drugs" or some feelgood pop-psychology. We face a world where children have no childhood anymore, where the most narcissistic and self indulgent agenda is considered appropriate, where the mutilation of a woman's body is done to look more "attractive", where status is defined by wealth or fame rather than acts of productivity, where a witless childish idiot playing a child's game makes millions of dollars rather than a man who saves a life, where popular songs reflect theft, violence, and reducing people (women) to "bitches & "hoes". These things are not only a reality: they are EMBRACED!

We live in a wonderland of fools. Is it any wonder that the violence committed reflects that low-functioning agenda? Where marketing is the heart of politics and the goal of a elected official is to get re-elected; is it any wonder we have no real changes that alter our perspectives? Is it any wonder that we look for altered perspectives in chemicals? The world around us won't provide it as it stands. We have a whole selection of pills for depression....could it be that depression is actually the logical result of a world like this?

Maybe those people called "Depressed" are actually those who think more clearly than most? THAT would be a motherfucker.

[Edited on 15-11-2010 by quicksilver]

MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-11-2010 at 15:06

Quote:

Maybe those people called "Depressed" are actually those who think more clearly than most? THAT would be a motherfucker.

Interesting question. I'd like to think that I think clearly but I'm certainly not depressed. I dislike the way the world and the nations are heading but I can still be happy day-to-day, overall.

[Edited on 11-15-2010 by MagicJigPipe]

entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 15-11-2010 at 15:18

Anybody not drowning in denial (not the river in Egypt) can Google "PCP" and "murder" and examine the evidence the way that real grown-up scientists do.
Sedit
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-11-2010 at 15:22

MJD I have to ask but you don't have to answer if you wish but do you have experiance with this substance? I feel its not the normal alteration of sences or inhibition like EtOH causes but more of a complete disconnection from reality for someone thats not really trained in the effects of these substances. Iv never had the "pleasure" of seeing if any major mental decline takes place with this substance because its to harsh of a drug. But take into consideration someone who is scared of clowns as an example being high on PCP and seeing a clown. I can assure you that there is no way in hell that this meeting could end well. If that person had a firearm I would not doubt one bit for them to off the evil demonic zombie clown that was "attacking" them. Given that someone can think that a fat woman in a red dress is a giant walking strawberry I can envision someone commiting murder with ease when they normally would not think of such an act. This is just a dangerous substance because the normal suddenly become schizophrinic. Hell my uncle underwent 2 week treatment after smoking weed laced with PCP and they found him walking along side of the highway after being lost in the swamps for over a day looking for parts for his space craft.

I have never tried Ketamine and even though I would expect the effects to be simular the reports of its effects seem highly different. Given that there is a variety of NMDA receptors all with slightly different effects there is the possibility of there being hugely different effects from it.

anotheronebitesthedust
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-11-2010 at 17:06

Quote:
We face a world where children have no childhood anymore, where the most narcissistic and self indulgent agenda is considered appropriate, where the mutilation of a woman's body is done to look more "attractive", where status is defined by wealth or fame rather than acts of productivity, where a witless childish idiot playing a child's game makes millions of dollars rather than a man who saves a life, where popular songs reflect theft, violence, and reducing people (women) to "bitches & "hoes". These things are not only a reality: they are EMBRACED!

Quicksilver it seems like you may be depressed because that sounds like a very bleak world you live in indeed. Maybe I should be more thankful I live in Canada where I see so many displays of greater human qualities, such as empathy and understanding, on a daily basis. Here's a good example of some fine Canadians who did everything possible to help out a troubled teen:
http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/article/890684--as...
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-11-2010 at 23:04

Quote:

Anybody not drowning in denial (not the river in Egypt) can Google "PCP" and "murder" and examine the evidence the way that real grown-up scientists do.

Can you please move your dick switch to the 0 position?

entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 16-11-2010 at 07:17

Quote: Originally posted by MagicJigPipe  

Can you please move your dick switch to the 0 position?
Your usual level of informed scientific discourse.:P

You're going to catch some wierd parasitic disease swimming in Da Nile river.
quicksilver
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-11-2010 at 14:40

Quote: Originally posted by anotheronebitesthedust  

Quicksilver it seems like you may be depressed because that sounds like a very bleak world you live in indeed. Maybe I should be more thankful I live in Canada where I see so many displays of greater human qualities, such as empathy and understanding, on a daily basis. Here's a good example of some fine Canadians who did everything possible to help out a troubled teen:
http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/article/890684--as...

You are possibly more right than wrong on that account. I'm not too sure if I would say depressed but saddened & disappointed in certain things......brother; no question!

I love my country but I certainly don't love the condition it's in.
Bleak - but not unique. One of the most disappointing things is that as I re-read my little rant; I find those things to be self evident in many places down here in the "48".

I only Thank God that I can still laugh at myself ranting away over the ills of the country on the internet.
On a serious level, the right move would be for me to shut the fuck up and make a personal difference again and again and again..... It's just that on occasion it feels like urinating on a home in flames.

[Edited on 16-11-2010 by quicksilver]

MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-11-2010 at 15:44

But if we had 10,000 people urinating on a house fire in unison! Oh, the urea! (and cyanic acid, biuret, cyanuric acid, ammelide etc...)

I think you mean that it's like urinating on a firestorm ignited by a small nuclear weapon.

quicksilver
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-11-2010 at 07:07

HA! You got it! But you know what would happen.....

Someone would get inflamed and brand it a pissing contest.....:o

IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 25-11-2010 at 14:22

Having been there I have to agree with Entropy. In 1970 I am in Daytona Beach getting ready to walk in to a place of music and beer. No memory of the name. Standing in line outside in front waiting to pay two bucks and get my hand rubber stamped for admission. There were over a dozen people on the street corner holding big bottles of pills asking everyone in line if they want to buy PCP. Less than a tenth had weed or acid, PCP was everywhere. One of the guys in the little group of us out partying buys and eats one. Later I noticed he was not involved in reality, sitting there like a zombie. He had been drinking beer and was soaked in piss as he could not get up to go. After a long time we finally got him moving and he started acting violent. I had known this guy for years, through many circumstances where anger or aggression should have been his response in certain situations he was as always meek and timid like Pee Wee Herman. Never before had I ever seen anger or aggression, no matter how much beer he drank. No idea how much the combo with beer added but I knew nothing about this drug other than seeing him convinced me to never find out. I assure you this guy was gentle and meek, PCP turned him into someone I had never seen in years of knowing him.

Anyway not why I came here, the author of this thread is correct all of this detracts from the subject. Rather than start a new thread I thought my question fits the thread title enough to ask here.

Recently I saw an article where they busted a bomb maker. He got 14 counts of possessing chemicals for destructive devices combined with counts for the bombs , etc.. No mention of what chemicals. I spent a while searching Cornell and what not but I am convinced they go out of their way when they write this stuff to make it impossible for people like us to know the full law. If power over us is their goal it makes sense to keep us from protecting ourselves, i.e., 'secret stuff' they can nail you for when they are throwing the book at you. I say secret as many hours of searching yields little information or lists of what chemicals are 'list' for explosives. Other than of course the usual items like the explosives themselves.

So what is the list? If I have KNO3, nitric, zinc and Al dust, etc., and they raid me like they did United Nuclear how many of my Lab chemicals are going to create 'added charges'? Not exactly all organics but I thought the question fits here.

How can I try to maintain a legal, private, amateur lab when they work to suppress the information about what they can and will use against me?

If anyone has a list of the chemicals they can now charge you for as explosive precursors please post. Not asking about nitro or RDX in the list, rather everything we need for so much chemistry not related to the dual use LE is going to go after us for. Also I do not see much in the way of an answer to Gary after two pages. While I do not use organics often it would be good if this was also covered. Possibly a thread on this site building up a list of the things we need to be cautious about would save many much time trying to answer this question. I for one cannot afford teams of lawyers to find out.

[Edited on 11-26-2010 by IrC]

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 25-11-2010 at 14:58

I have long felt that you have 2 options for this kind of behavior by LE:

1) hire the best lawyer money can buy, if you have that kind of money. This might cost you your life savings.

2) petition the ACLU to help you. Although many people don't like this group I have noticed that they will stick up for a person's civil rights and they have a lot of clout.

[Edited on 26-11-2010 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
SelfStarter
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-11-2010 at 22:36

Quote: Originally posted by entropy51  
I respectfully disagree, madscientist.

In this area, in those days, PCP was everywhere. It was more available than marijuana. Those types of atrocities were not uncommon. Neither were ether explosions caused by manufacturers of PCP. The local branch of a major chemical supplier was closed down when they were implicated in the supply of precursors.

As far as I know, PCP is rarely encountered here nowadays. I have not heard of a PCP related murder in probably over 10 years. Something certainly had an effect.

Entropy, your assertions about there being a rash of PCP related violence is ridiculous. Drugs don't make people violent. Drugs do not have that capability.

I suggest you read this book and watch this video as they both come from an author who unlike you, has done a lot of RESEARCH on the subject.

http://reason.com/blog/2009/03/24/recently-at-reasontv-jacob...

http://www.amazon.com/Saying-Yes-Jacob-Sullum/dp/product-des...

Sedit
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-11-2010 at 23:01

Quote: Originally posted by SelfStarter  

Entropy, your assertions about there being a rash of PCP related violence is ridiculous. Drugs don't make people violent. Drugs do not have that capability.

...... I don't understand....

My only reply is BULLSHIT!!!

Drugs make people violent,
Drugs make people someone they are not,
Drugs turn people into something they don't want to be.
Drugs wreak havok on the society around them.......

This is comming from ME people. Its about as unbias as it gets because I love drugs.... in the right hands.

You pott heads are convincing yourselfs that drugs are safer then they really are and they are the type of people we hear about on the news shooting up a shopping mall full of zombies....

Get it? One hit of PCP into you new age hippys brains and you would understand where im comming from, but instead go on about how its all good to ingest a substance that an analog of what is pissed out by schizophrinics.... go ahead..... then tell me drugs are great...

G'damnit

[Edited on 27-11-2010 by Sedit]

IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 27-11-2010 at 00:45

What Are the Effects of PCP?

From National Institute on Drug Abuse

PCP, developed in the 1950s as an intravenous surgical anesthetic, is classified as a dissociative anesthetic: Its sedative and anesthetic effects are trance-like, and patients experience a feeling of being "out of body" and detached from their environment.

PCP was used in veterinary medicine but was never approved for human use because of problems that arose during clinical studies, including delirium and extreme agitation experienced by patients emerging from anesthesia.

During the 1960s, PCP in pill form became widely abused, but the surge in illicit use receded rapidly as users became dissatisfied with the long delay between taking the drug and feeling its effects, and with the unpredictable and often violent behavior associated with its use.

Powdered PCP - known as "ozone," "rocket fuel," "love boat," "hog," "embalming fluid," or "superweed" - appeared in the 1970s. In powdered form, the drug is sprinkled on marijuana, tobacco, or parsley, then smoked, and the onset of effects is rapid. Users sometimes ingest PCP by snorting the powder or by swallowing it in tablet form. Normally a white crystalline powder, PCP is sometimes colored with water-soluble or alcohol-soluble dyes.

When snorted or smoked, PCP rapidly passes to the brain to disrupt the functioning of sites known as NMDA (N-methyl-D-aspartate) receptor complexes, which are receptors for the neurotransmitter glutamate. Glutamate receptors play a major role in the perception of pain, in cognition - including learning and memory - and in emotion. In the brain, PCP also alters the actions of dopamine, a neurotransmitter responsible for the euphoria and "rush" associated with many abused drugs.

At low PCP doses (5 mg or less), physical effects include shallow, rapid breathing, increased blood pressure and heart rate, and elevated temperature. Doses of 10 mg or more cause dangerous changes in blood pressure, heart rate, and respiration, often accompanied by nausea, blurred vision, dizziness, and decreased awareness of pain.

Muscle contractions may cause uncoordinated movements and bizarre postures. When severe, the muscle contractions can result in bone fracture or in kidney damage or failure as a consequence of muscle cells breaking down. Very high doses of PCP can cause convulsions, coma, hyperthermia, and death.

PCP's effects are unpredictable. Typically, they are felt within minutes of ingestion and last for several hours. Some users report feeling the drug's effects for days. One drug-taking episode may produce feelings of detachment from reality, including distortions of space, time, and body image; another may produce hallucinations, panic, and fear. Some users report feelings of invulnerability and exaggerated strength. PCP users may become severely disoriented, violent, or suicidal.

Repeated use of PCP can result in addiction, and recent research suggests that repeated or prolonged use of PCP can cause withdrawal syndrome when drug use is stopped. Symptoms such as memory loss and depression may persist for as long as a year after a chronic user stops taking PCP.

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/lsd/f/lsd_faq05.htm

----------------------------------------------------------------------
2,430,000 results google search "pcp effects", every one of them saying the same thing. SelfStarter you, and everyone as ignorant of the facts as you, are making me wretch at the thought you are all coming here claiming to be 'men of science'. Yes you know so much. Your brains are very big. Your facts come from some 'researcher' you claim has credibility? What about the two million four hundred thirty thousand pages on the internet all saying the same damn thing! Namely you are wrong.

OK I'll bite. Forget 'research'. What about experience? I saw violence and death from PCP and drugs like it in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 2K's, and on until the end of flesh humans on earth. How many people have you seen die from drugs? Any? I HAVE! Not just once either.

Why don't you give up your membership here and go back to abovetopsecret where you belong and leave science to those who do not have oatmeal for brains.

Go talk to every police officer in every town for a hundred miles around you. Ask and get their real life experience stories about the violence they have had to deal with most especially from PCP, far more than nearly every other drug known. In fact likely more than every other drug they have had to deal with.

Is anyone ever going back on topic and answering poor Garry's question or not? Or mine concerning inorganic's?

[Edited on 11-27-2010 by IrC]

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top